Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2014, 13:34   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 owners version #331
Looking to buy a Lagoon 380

I am looking to buy a Lagoon 380 s2 Owners version. I have search all the normal channels of listings but have had no luck. My budget is $180 to $200,000 but it has not been enough to complete a deal.
I am able to travel anywhere in the world anytime to survey and buy one. I am trying to avoid a beaten charter boat which half of them currently for sale may be. Yes I know not all charter boats are beaten. I have come close to finding one and it comes down to $20,000 short and my budget is what I have.
If anyone hears of one or sees one for sale I would be very grateful.
Old 30-05-2014, 17:47   #2

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Looking to buy a Lagoon 380

I met a nice lady in Antiga in April that had a two year old one she got out of charter from Croatia. It was a three cabin model and had numerous add-ons/upgrades. I forget what it was but do remember I was pretty impressed. And jealous.

I have looked at a few 380s as it was on the short list, so know a little about them.

She said it is THE place to find one now. Don't know the economics there though.

It is a 220 boat though and I would have to start a thread or two about what to do with a 220 boat in a 110 world (mine anyway) before I bought one. She said it didn't matter to her because the wind and solar and the bigger battery bank she had left her with an abundance she was happy with.

As I recall she had Phil (boatman61 I think) deliver it to the Canaries where she met her and then crossed with (or along side of) one of the ARCs.

That reminds me too that she is a member here and I just cannot remember her name - I'm bad that way.

Details are fuzzy because my goal for the two months I spent in the West Indies were clouded with multiple conversations with cruisers (my reason for going) and 25 days of fever and/or intense pain.

Best of luck.

Oh yea. I know a broker in Texas that would probably keep an eye out for you but your budget is going to rule out all privately owned S2s in the US for sure and probably most 3 cabin S2s elsewhere.

Maybe a search of "looking for a Lagoon 380" would turn said lady up and you could contact her?????????

IMO of course. Worth what you paid for it.
Old 31-05-2014, 04:48   #3

Thanks for the information I have been looking at Croatia as a place to find one. Knowing nothing about that area and the process of purchasing a boat there I have been reluctant to go there.
I think it is always better to buy a boat in your own area only because you know the system amd how it works. Given my budget I know I have to consider a boat anywhere.
Old 31-05-2014, 14:25   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwest View Post
Thanks for the information I have been looking at Croatia as a place to find one. Knowing nothing about that area and the process of purchasing a boat there I have been reluctant to go there.
I think it is always better to buy a boat in your own area only because you know the system amd how it works. Given my budget I know I have to consider a boat anywhere.
Yep. Your budget is the real limiter but don't let that stop you.

And then Phil can bring it to you at a more reasonable rate than just about anybody.
Old 31-05-2014, 18:40   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

What's your refit budget?

If you are looking to buy near the lower end of the valuation range then the boat will almost certainly need some work.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:35   #6

That is my budget, no money yet for refit, it will be done over time. I owned a monohull in the 90s so I am not going in blind. I have never hired anyone to fix or upgrade my sailboat in the past so that saves me some. In my experience if you buy a fully equipped used sailboat you end up almost replacing everything over the next few years anyway.
I have been looking for a boat for several years off and on, I never found the right boat and their were always problems with the deals. Most of the boats I have attempted to buy I was told everything works than reach a purchase price and later upon a survey find out 50% of the gear does not work. None of the owners offer to drop the price one dollar. I have found many sailboat owners have an unreasonable ides of the real value of their boat and they see their boat as it was in the past, not it's current condition.
I do not think that $200,000 cash for an average Lagoon 380 2005 or 2007 is a lowball offer. There is a Lagoon 380 for sale in Portugal for $226,000 but the owner and I are deadlocked between the two numbers.
I will keep looking and hoping

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 380