Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2015, 13:57   #1

Smile Looking to buy an Amel Super Maramu!

Hello everyone!

My husband and I have been looking for an Amel Super Maramu 2000-2005. Would also consider late 90's, depending on condition. We've been having a real hard time locating one on the West coast of the United States. if anyone here is interested in selling, or knows anyone who might be, please message me. Or email JenyaLano "at" gmail. We can't wait to find our boat and begin our sailing adventures!Thanks so much for your time

Jenya
Old 19-05-2015, 14:27   #2
cruiser

Re: Looking to buy an Amel Super Maramu!

Why does the boat have to be on the west coast? It's a world market, right now the US dollar is strong against the Euro. Your best deals will be in Europe, and... What an excellent place to cruise.

Find a US buyers broker and get started shopping on yachtworld.

I spend two seasons on the US west coast..... Boring. There's really no place interesting to go, plus all kinds of restrictions on anchoring.

We spent two years on a Hunter 450 in California, bought the Oyster in England and are now starting our fourth season in the Med.... No plans for going back to the US to cruise. Maybe the South Pacific, Australia and New Zealand after serveral years. In Sardinia at present.
Old 19-05-2015, 14:35   #3

Quote:
I spend two seasons on the US west coast..... Boring.
But a good place to start into the Pacific ;-) - but I also would buy (or at least take a look) where 'the market is' - Europe in this case.

Good luck!

Carsten
Old 19-05-2015, 14:51   #4

I completely agree with you about the West coast... it would be a DREAM to cruise in Europe, which is where I'm from. There are a ton of Amels for sale and it's a much better deal over there. Unfortunately, work and pets are keeping us stationed in the Bay area for now. We want to move on to the boat and at least start getting accustomed to living aboard and gaining more sailing experience. So, for now, we have to start in California :roll eyes:

I wish I was in Sardinia! I grew up in Italy and miss it so much...
Old 20-05-2015, 09:20   #5

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Our friends have one in San Diego that they had for sale for a while but never got any serious offers. They just replaced all the standing rigging. It's loaded with spare parts and turn-key. I'll pass them your email but they are currently out of the country on vacation.

Good luck with your search, Amel's are really nice boats!
Old 20-05-2015, 09:49   #6

Thumbs up Re: Looking to buy an Amel Super Maramu!

Hi AutumnBreeze27, if you could pass my info to your friends that would be wonderful! My husband and I are very serious about putting an offer on an Amel, so if they are interested in selling that just might work out for everyone. Thanks for taking the time to post. Jenya.
Old 20-05-2015, 09:59   #7

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Good luck on your hunt! You've chosen a beautiful boat.
Old 20-05-2015, 18:48   #8

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Jenya, did u have a chance to look at Amel's website? I know they have some killer boats that they are trying to move. If you love these boats, and who wouldn't, did you look at Steve Dashew's boats also? They are very fast and very well thought out boats. I don't have that kind of jing...but have been a big fan of his for many years. They are called Sundeer if I recall correctly. He also has a great book titled "Offshore Cruising Encyclopedia," I don't know what your level of sailing knowledge is. But he did some pretty good work.

Also, animals can be brought to foreign countries and impounded for awhile before considered safe. You could start your adventures over there with little fuss and get a great buy on a boat...JMO...good luck to you...many good used boats for sale...
Old 20-05-2015, 18:56   #9

Thanks so much for the advice Alansmith, will definitely check out the Amel site and see if it's possible to do anything directly from the source. Their new boats are out of our price range, but maybe they have some older models. We really wish we could start cruising in Europe right away, but it's not just the pets... can't quite leave work right now. Thanks again for taking the time to share some info
Old 20-05-2015, 20:03   #10

Boat: sloop 35'

J, The official rep for Amel in North America is Joel Potter 954.812..2485, he is located in s. Florida as most of these boats in the us are. For the years you are looking at he probably sold that boat new and then used again and knows their history. If you haven't contacted him you are probably missing out on the not officially on the market and showroom condition boats that a dealer can have. He may have one on the west coast for you. Sorry it sounds like an ad but this make boat is a very small world. After dealing with him I can report that yes I would buy a used boat from him, again. Good Luck !
Old 20-05-2015, 20:29   #11

Thanks Rossny, we know all about him and have already contacted him. Nothing on the West coast so far.. which is why I decided to reach out directly to the cruising community, just in case. Thanks for the advice though!
Old 20-05-2015, 23:29   #12

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Jenya, on the website they have multiple boats that are for sale under the tab used boats. Take the time to look at Sundeer boats also. I promise u it isn't a waste of your time. Happy hunting.
Old 21-05-2015, 12:58   #13

We have a SM 2000 for sale in New Zealand. You can see it on our web site wwwoceanpearl.co.nz
Contact simms@xtra.co.nz
Old 25-05-2015, 17:14   #14

Hi Jenya,
You've probably been perusing all of the online sailboat listings. I happened to notice one yesterday for an Amel Super Maramu on sailboatlistings.com. It's a January listing for a '96 model for 189.9k, in Fort Lauderdale, which seems like a great price for that boat if it's in good shape. I noticed it because I am now a big fan of the Amel Super Maramu after helping deliver one from New Zealand to Tahiti last year. I've been fortunate to have had some great rides on some pretty nice boats (Baltic 38, Hallberg Rassy 46, custom Maxi-yacht converted to plush cruiser, etc.) and I was very impressed with the Amel as a fast, comfortable cruiser. I was on a Super Maramu 2000 Redline and I would own one in a heartbeat if the finances allowed. Good luck in your quest, there aren't a lot of Amel's on the west coast, but ya' never know. When it's the right time, the right boat will come along!
Old 20-07-2015, 13:38   #15

Boat: Cabo Rico 45

Hello Jenya,
How is the search going for your Amel?
I'm curious why you are limiting your search to one brand of boat... the Amel? They are certainly nice boats, and great for cruising...but so are others. I've become familiar with Amel's through the S/V Delos youtube series. I'm just curious what features has sold you on that model exclusively, instead of say... Hylas, Oysters, Passports, Tayana's, etc.
Thanks, and best of luck finding your dream boat.
Mark