Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2009, 06:44   #1

Boat: Looking for a live aboard
Looking to buy used blue water yacht, approx 40-50 foot. £50-60k approx

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a yacht to take me to the Med for the summer season, and, then as far around the world as life permits. I need a mid sized 40's yacht, Ideally an Oyster 435/Moody 44-50 would be my first choice. My budget is about £50-60k with some small room to spend a little more for the right boat.
Whether Oyster or otherwise, I have cash and I am ready to buy the right boat. I have been looking between 40-50 foot; Oyster, Moody, Westerly, Seastream, Hylas, Bowman, Holman are all boats I have looked at so far (online). I also like Vagabounds and Transpacs. I have considered the larger Jeanneaus and Beneteaus for the spacious accommodation and comfort, but those brands are a fall back if I cannot get the deal I am looking for on a more serious blue water boat.

I have also looked at a number of old large ketches/yawls etc with steel/ferro hulls and would not rule out a well set up steel hulled blue water boat.

She will need to be set up for long distance cruising, all electrics will need to be upto date (VHF, GPS/Plotter, depth, annometer, depth ,log etc). I will also need a detailed service history on the engine, safety gear, sails, rigging.

She will also need to be able to be easily handled when short handed sailing.

Hatches, deck, osmosis etc all need to be in good shape. Anything that needs to be replaced or repaired is fine as long as it is a point to
negotiate over the price on. Generators/Water makers/workshops are all good selling points.

Ships documentation (below) should all be present and documented in the orignal.
1. Original bill of sale.
2. Certificate of registration.
3. Any previous bills of sale for previous ownership.
4. RCD compliance (if applicable).
5. All manuals for the equipment.
6. All service documents.
7. VAT Invoice. (Or clarification of VAT Status).

Another requirement, is that I also want a "honeymoon suite" at the rear. I.e. a master stateroomwith en-suite heads. Id consider an owners cabin in the forepeak, but I think the aft cabins provide more comfort and space, so this is preferable.

Please do contact me if you think you have what Im looking for. I have spend a lot of time on the brokers websites in recent years, and would rather deal privately than through the brokers if possible.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Old 17-02-2009, 07:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Hey there,

Does the size you're looking for have some relevance to long-term liveaboard? Otherwise -- certainly on the upper end of your parameter -- you are looking at a lot of boat for single-handing. Others may disagree, but I think I heard a stat somewhere that the average for a solo circumnavigation is about 36'.

As for the electronics suite -- it might be worth paying a little less and upgrading the electronics yourself. These things become so antiquated so fast.

Although I have no experience with windvanes, I'd never again go on a long passage without one. The good ones are a pretty penny, but from what I've heard, worth their weight in gold.
Old 17-02-2009, 08:08   #3

Hi Sneuman, thanks for your comments.

I agree with everything you have said. I plan to have a good few people with me for 99% of the time, partner, freinds and family. I also have lots of stuff to take, which I know is the wrong mental attitude to sailing, but living aboard for so long, I wouldnt want to miss out on the pleasures of land, so cycling gear, camping gear as well as ski, and windsurfing gear is all coming with me. And computers and such like.

I do want a windvane which I forgot to mention - Thanks! Although I exepct Ill be fitting this rather than finding the yacht I want with one. Alternatively a yawl may be another way of relieving ourselves of helming a while.

Thanks again,
Mark
Old 17-02-2009, 08:09   #4

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
Looks like my shopping list. I've been following and looking at yachts for quite some time till I found mine. Keep up the pursuit. I was able to locate one that wasn't selling, it was on the market for almost 2 yrs and the owners wanted out... I was able to chat with them but had to wait till the brokers agreement expired to legally go around the salesmen.
Took awhile but I was able to save about 20K on the final asking price. They were just anxious to get going and couldn't wait any longer. Glad they were open to bargain pricing. Unless your schedule is prettty flexible, you proably will have to settle for less than your expectation list. But who knows.

Keep looking.
Old 17-02-2009, 10:12   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Might want to make clear what part of the world you are looking to buy in (heavy US membership on CF.com)
Old 17-02-2009, 10:15   #6

Good point- thanks. Ideally UK/Europe. But for the right boat and right deal Ill travel to most places within 12 hours flight.

I should also add, that private messages from sellers is probably the best way to contact me if you have a yacht I may be interested in.

Cheers
Mark