Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2015, 16:38   #16

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Mad Max self steering - Monitor wind vane - $2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
$2000 for an older Monitor is top dollar? These are over $5k, new
" which by virtue of its age is inclined to have stress cracking (work hardening) and will need to be completely rebuilt before it's reliable offshore".
you're really making a bunch of assumptions based on zero knowledge of someone else's unit. For all you know, it just sat on the back of the boat rarely used.
Now who's making presumptions

I traded my old, many times repaired, unit back to Scanmar a few months ago and they gave me a grand off the new unit I replaced it with. Very generous I thought. The object is to get the old units off the market because there have been numerous technical advancements and engineering changes over time. No sense having the failure of an old unit giving the modern units a bad name in the sailing community. My new unit is fabulous.
Old 05-09-2015, 17:04   #17

Aw Jim, Celestial was just being nice. It was me who was acting asumptiously, thinking this thing was worth anything. Ohwha tafoo liam for paying upwards of 5 grand on the advice of a surveyor for the thing, and then almost as much in various places to have all the crumbly stuff replaced. I actually went with what I read on the Scamnar site, to price it in the first place. Of course Scamnar knows, just like Henry Ford did, you don't sell more units by making them last for long.

Currently, my assumption is that someone might want to keep ole 294 and all its custom parts and mount etc. going - or cash in on that very same deal you took advantage of. As for me, I've probably thrown enough money at this thing to have hired a living, breathing, helmsman. Of course, those can get cantankerous and noisy at times.

Here's the actual, un-retouched e-mail from Scanmar for your perusal:

Hi Morgan, This is Suzy at Scanmar. Thank you for the inquiry. Unfortunately, you have what is known as a Larwyck Monitor. It is a pre-Scanmar unit built it the mid-1970s. It is likely constructed of 304 stainless steel, which after decades in the harsh marine environment becomes brittle and starts to crack and crevice corrode. There is no cure for this. Honestly, we do not recommend units of this age for anyone planning lengthy crossings or a circumnavigation, even coastwise. The risk of failure is too high. They are coming to the end of their lifespan. Think of it like you would 40 year old standing rigging! The kindest thing you could do with it is to give it to someone looking to buy a new Monitor. We will pay the freight for it to be returned to us (from the U.S.) and give them a $1000 credit towards the purchase of a new unit. To qualify for this trade-in program we need the frame, gears, water paddle, hinge, and pendulum assembly. Airvanes are not necessary. Feel free to email or call if you have any questions. Thank you, Suzy
Old 05-09-2015, 17:15   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

Errrr they do not look mechanically all that complex: cracked? replace the cracked element, sail happy ever after.

Problems finding cracks in older equipment? Errrr probably should not have picked up sailing as your hobby!

Sailing is like finance: no risk no reward.

Where I live Monitors are very much looked up to. Even if one does have to replace worn parts.

Pre-Chinese era. Not yet in history textbooks, but sure it will.

Cheers,
b.
Old 05-09-2015, 19:59   #19

Monitor wind vane - $750, no, wait $500, or how about best offer?

I'll head down to the boat tomorrow morning and photograph up the Lycian (pre Scamnar or whatever Suzy of Scanmar called it) Monitor and post pretty pics of it - I can even do it in 3d - you have to admit, those 3d shots are pretty cool.

As it is now, I'll drop the price for the whole shebang (and it includes spare kits and the wheel thingy and the like) to $750 but that's at the marina gate.

After this experience, I'm not terribly fond of these gimicky self steering contraptions. If it doesn't have a rooster on it and isn't affixed to a barn somewhere in Kansas - I don't want it.

Did I say $750, ah heck - I'll take $500... or best offer - BUT you have to take the whole dang thing - it makes me a might queasy thinking of what I've spent on it.
Old 22-09-2015, 08:58   #20

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

Is the wind vane still available...if so where are you located. We are in Ontario, Canada...and interested.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-09-2015, 09:35   #21

Sorry, the monitor wind vane and mount and everything was finally sold (for $500). I had no idea what it was worth when I started out and I kept starting new threads because I couldn't edit the original. Then feedback from both the cruisers forum and Scanmar, the company that sells the new monitors, convinced me the thing was essentially worthless. Between me and the previous owner, about $8000 went into it.

You can probably get a brand new one, with the mount, and everything for around $4000. You should not have to pay more than $1000 for a used one. They are out there. Nobody I got feedback from who bought a used monitor ever paid over $1000.

Just so you know... and good luck!

Morgan

I prefer egg as a breakfast dish, not something I wear all over my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan S View Post
Is the wind vane still available...if so where are you located. We are in Ontario, Canada...and interested.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-09-2015, 09:47   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Stone View Post
Sorry, the monitor wind vane and mount and everything was finally sold (for $500). I had no idea what it was worth when I started out and I kept starting new threads because I couldn't edit the original. Then feedback from both the cruisers forum and Scanmar, the company that sells the new monitors, convinced me the thing was essentially worthless. Between me and the previous owner, about $8000 went into it.

You can probably get a brand new one, with the mount, and everything for around $4000. You should not have to pay more than $1000 for a used one. They are out there. Nobody I got feedback from who bought a used monitor ever paid over $1000.

Just so you know... and good luck!

Morgan

I prefer egg as a breakfast dish, not something I wear all over my face.
Thanks for posting the final details, your experience with the sale, and the copy of the text from SCANMAR.

It appears that SCANMAR was making a good offer to give a sizable ($1,000) discount to the owner/buyer if they trade in the old unit which is past its lifespan, and I found their explanation understandable, given the likely age of the materials used in the unit and the conditions of use (marine environment).

Tags
monitor, self steering, steering, wind, wind vane