Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 20:49   #1

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Needing a new mast?

I live in Hong Kong but have a 65' yacht building in Australia. My mast will be 80' and needs to be fabricated (available standard sections not sufficient). I have checked out prices from riggers and reckon I can save $AU 80 - 90k by sourcing custom mast sections in nearby China, getting fittings machined by engineers, professionally welded and rest by me. Mast sections can be shipped easily by sea freight.
I know that most of the riggers in Australia are using alloy sections imported from China so no difference in quality there. Rest is up to you, although maybe we can do some exchange in machined parts or bulk ordering of these.

Anyone else with similar need? Not trying to make a profit on this - maybe just a little cheaper to get the alloy.
Old 06-08-2008, 15:17   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
You would, I think, be doing well to save $80,000 - $90,000. A boat being built near to here has a mast that would be close to 80'. He was, as far as I know, quoted about $40,000 for an aluminium mast, and $70,000 for a carbon fiber mast, which included mast, spreaders, standing rigging, fittings, halyards and all... but good luck with it anyway.
Old 06-08-2008, 17:06   #3

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Looking forward to an inexpensive option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
You would, I think, be doing well to save $80,000 - $90,000. A boat being built near to here has a mast that would be close to 80'. He was, as far as I know, quoted about $40,000 for an aluminium mast, and $70,000 for a carbon fiber mast, which included mast, spreaders, standing rigging, fittings, halyards and all... but good luck with it anyway.
I was quoted 160K and 180K inclusive by couple of riggers.Tasmania is much closer to the yacht than China and I would be delighted to source a mast so inexpensively. Can you find out any more detail - especially vendor.
Thanks,
Old 06-08-2008, 17:42   #4

I may be wrong, but the boat is a Bakewell-White designed 44' racing boat built by Gary Smith in Hobart. I think that the aluminium mast quote was through Ian Brett Spars and the carbon fiber was through... hmmm; can't remember the company, but the rep was Peter Fletcher.

Ian Brett is currently cruising his boat around Fiji, Tonga, Noumea etc (half his luck). The last job he did before he left was new standing rigging for my boat and his price was excellent. Not sure when he will be back, but he has all sorts of electrickery set up on his boat, so you might be able to contact him by e-mail. I won't post his address here, send me a PM if you want it.

Pete Fletcher is, frankly, just a rep (and a halfway-decent semi-pro sailor, but a nice bloke), but can probably furnish you with a quote. I don't have "Fletch's" number but there is a fair chance I will see him around the traps in the next few days... if so I can get his number or e-mail address. Again, let me know if you are interested.

I should add that the prices I quoted are only "gossip" around the club; I haven't seen any hard quotes. If I am way off the mark, as is certainly possible, I will be sorry for having wasted your time. Nevertheless, it is certainly worth a phone call or e-mail
Old 06-08-2008, 17:55   #5

Our replacement spar (aluminum) would be in the range of $250k all up. That would include rod, fittings, boom,........ 93 foot fairly stout section.

We work pretty hard to make sure we don't pitch the rig.
Old 06-08-2008, 18:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
We work pretty hard to make sure we don't pitch the rig.
Amen, brother
Old 07-08-2008, 21:24   #7

Boat: 13 mtr Adams steel cruiser-"Lady Eileen".)
Tack on.

Hi,

A throw in on the go re masts but if anyone can assist with a mast/boom if they know of one being sold ( or coming up for sale anytime ) to suit a 43 ft Adams round bilge steel cruising yacht

Original plans call for a mast 16.5 mtrs to LWL with a section of 216mm x 139mm.
This was allowed for back in the day when the plans were originally designed for this build.- around 1992.

If it can be kept in mind it would be sincerely appreciated.

Regards
JC