Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2013, 08:00   #16

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton
Re: NEW Liferaft offshore 4 man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post

These newer cheapo rafts (Plastimo, Revere, Viking) are bascially throwaways. There're not worth the $800-$1200 to recertify. You buy it new carry it for 3-5 years then flog it off on Ebay. Buy a new one or swallow the anchor.

Buy one new from the distributor just prior to your intended passage. Who's headed offshore from N America at this time of year? Will be another 6 months closer to dead in November. Not to give this guy a further hard time, but that is the realities of these units.
Are you implying that there is no use to be gotten after the expiration date on the liferaft? Only offshore cruisers would want a liferaft? ICW, Great Lakes, coastal, SF Bay, I see several uses. What about the sailor who wrote ninety days adrift, he got some use out of an expired cert liferaft.
Old 28-06-2013, 08:25   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post

These newer cheapo rafts (Plastimo, Revere, Viking) are bascially throwaways. There're not worth the $800-$1200 to recertify. You buy it new carry it for 3-5 years then flog it off on Ebay. Buy a new one or swallow the anchor.

Buy one new from the distributor just prior to your intended passage. Who's headed offshore from N America at this time of year? Will be another 6 months closer to dead in November. Not to give this guy a further hard time, but that is the realities of these units.
I'd partially agree with that. A newer $2000 raft isn't necessarily any safer than a 3 year old re-certified $2000 raft. To be honest I'd rather see a raft fully inflated and watch it get repacked than to just gamble that the new one I've never seen open will work because someone else told me so.
Old 28-06-2013, 08:32   #18

Boat: Beneteau First 42

I find all this disparagement concerning a Seller's asking price really bothersome. If one is interested in a given offering, but, feels that the offering price is too great, one should simply counter-offer what one feels the offering is worth to ones self.

As a practical matter a liferaft that has sat in storage in ones home or elsewhere has suffered no degradation other than the elapse of the time period between original issue and re-certification. If anything, the only decrease in value might be the amortization of the re-certification cost. If, for the sake of argument, re-certification costs $1,200, and must be done at 36 month intervals, the re-cert cost recovery is about $33.34 USD per month. Hence, 6 months old, the re-cert cost consumed would be about $200. What the Seller paid for the equipment is somewhat irrelevant to a prospective buyer. The current open-market offering price of the gear is more telling. If the gear can be bought new, today, for $2,000, one could reasonably argue that the offered gear might be worth only $1,800 ($2,000 less the $200 re-cert cost consumed). The $1,800 would be a reasonable starting price for the offering although an willing Seller might go lower to be done with the gear. Or not.

N'any case, I don't see any excuse for disparaging a Seller, eh? What one thinks as reasonable necessarily varies with one's view point. There is no good/bad, right/wrong, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 28-06-2013, 08:58   #19

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

More proof that sailors have nothing but time on their hands!

Tags
liferaft, offshore