Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 18:30   #16

Re: Nor'Sea 27 Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowshoes View Post
I don't understand when folks list their boats for sale, and then don't include the price. For many of us, it the starting point for knowing whether any given boat is a real prospect or just an unaffordable dream.

Whether your the buyer or the seller, it can be the primary way of not wasting either parties time.
Posting a price publicly will:
  • Allow many people to debate whether it's a good deal. Effectively bringing down the price.
  • Doesn't allow the seller to take advantage of the buyer because there is no opportunity to raise the price of what was already stated publicly as the price.
  • Similar to above, it leaves evidence of possibly a lower price than has been posted in other forums and places like yachtworld.com. Anyone through enough might catch this.
Old 06-09-2011, 18:47   #17
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Norseas do sell quick on the market, as I have been tracking em the last 2 years when they (rarely) do come out. Prices seem to range as said above with typically at the higher end since most are well taken care of.
Old 18-09-2011, 18:03   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinesurveyor View Post
Only two have sold in the last 5 years-
One 1976 model for $18,000 in 12/2007
One 1988 model for $39,000 in 01/2011
I have seen 5 sell or taken off the market on yachtworld alone in the past year. The only one that sold for a higher price than the '88 you listed was a '98 very well equiped, and that sold for $43,000 with an almost new trailer. Also last listed price is rarely what the real price is. Granted thats only yachtworld. There are 4 including this one and the lone yachtworld boat on another listing site, all with sky high prices for their age/condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiwoodboat View Post

This particular Nor'sea Daphne is very well equipped and in very good condition, so if I was clever, I'd assume it'd fall in the upper end of the $28-62k range. From what I've seen, boat prices are usually pretty systematic, and determined by condition, equipment, age.
2007 price$? Thats before the near total collapse of the boat market, and every other market for that matter. If i remember correctly yours was in better condition and better equipt than daphne, and you sold her right before everything went to hell. If i had a place nearby to store and work on her over the winter, i would be really tempted to make an offer. But it certainly wouldnt be anywhere near the asking price. Hopefully she can sell at a good price before winter sets in, if not maybe i will give her another look in the spring when reality sets in

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Norseas do sell quick on the market, as I have been tracking em the last 2 years when they (rarely) do come out. Prices seem to range as said above with typically at the higher end since most are well taken care of.
I have been watching them for years as well, and generally the only ones that sell quick are the ones that are realistically priced, and without trailers. For some reason people think a 20-30 year old trailer adds $10,000 to the price. I guess it really depends on definition of quick. In this market any boat that sells is quick :P
I enjoy watching the boats get listed in the fall at high asking prices, and watching them go down in price as the winter marches on, finally to be sold at half the original price. Look at the '92 on yachtworld now. its been there for a couple of months and they already dropped the price $8,000.
As for rarity, not really sure about that, i've seen atleast 12 in last 2 years and i would be surprised not to see another 3-4 this fall, not counting the 4 on the market currently. If you really wanted one they are out there for the taking.
Old 18-09-2011, 18:29   #19
cruiser

Sure and they are all in Hawaii =P
Old 18-09-2011, 18:40   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Sure and they are all in Hawaii =P
Haha yes, there have been a few in Hawaii. Its a great place to get a good deal. People sail out there and realize they cant, or dont want to sail anymore, and fly home . There are 2 on yachtworld now spelled Norsea, in Hawaii so they dont show up in a Nor' Sea search so thats 6 currently on the market that are listed atleast.
Old 19-09-2011, 04:37   #21

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Personally, I would love to get Daphne. She looks to be a good solid boat. Unfortunately, being in Germany isn't helping. I have about a year left before I go back to the US and no idea where I would end up. Another thing is that for my size of 6'5", Daphne might be a bit small and cramped for me. But I do like the idea of a boat that size that can go pretty much anywhere.
Old 20-09-2011, 19:46   #22

Boat: Nauticat 321 Pilothouse
Send a message via AIM to MitchM

well dan, i dont think you'd be happy in a nor' sea 27.

7 yrs ago we looked at the nor' sea 27 which our slip neighbor was selling .. with aft cabin, which for us was a downer, because you had to go from the aft cabin thru a cold open cockpit to access the facilities in the main cabin. a 6 3 guy found the boat cabin height very restrictive (but not as bad as the bristol channel cutter sam morse design.. ) our neighbor's boat was on the market a looooong time.
Old 21-09-2011, 04:15   #23

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
well dan, i dont think you'd be happy in a nor' sea 27.

7 yrs ago we looked at the nor' sea 27 which our slip neighbor was selling .. with aft cabin, which for us was a downer, because you had to go from the aft cabin thru a cold open cockpit to access the facilities in the main cabin. a 6 3 guy found the boat cabin height very restrictive (but not as bad as the bristol channel cutter sam morse design.. ) our neighbor's boat was on the market a looooong time.
Thanks Mitch,
The Nor'sea 27 is a beautiful boat. I figured it might be a little cramped. I've been trying to look around for my first boat and searching mostly 30'. Still plenty of time before I can get something.

I would love to see a finished Nor'sea 37 but I don't think there's a completed one yet.
Old 21-09-2011, 08:15   #24
cruiser

Things to also consider.

Many are home built, so you need to watch the typical home bad boatbuilding school and redesign stuff.

Very wet cockpit. add a monster pump!
Old 23-09-2011, 09:31   #25

Boat: NorSea 27, Daphne

If anyone is interested in a Nor'Sea I would suggest checking out the Nor'Sea yahoo group.

Its a group of people who own and sail Nor'Seas. Many of them liveaboard or travel extensively. Some of them are day-sailors. The community is kind and encouraging. They will also give their honest opinion and share their experiences with you. I found that forum to be very helpful to me because they speak from years of experience aboard Nor'seas.

All boats have pros and cons, but the Nor'Sea can be perfect for someone, like it was for me. The people at the Nor'sea forum have nothing to gain or loose by telling you how they feel about the Nor'sea. Sure, they love their boat, but they also know the problems or compromises they have to make to sail a Nor'sea.

I do think its very helpful to speak to a group of people who actually own and sail Nor'seas a lot!

Sincerely,
Teresa
Old 23-09-2011, 11:30   #26

Boat: Small and simple, under 30'

I have learned the hard way to NEVER buy anything without an advertised price period...

Tags
sailboat