Anyone able to help
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-07-2016, 11:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Norseman parts needed

This is the second request I recall asking about Noresman parts. Is Norseman no longer in business? Have you tried any of the standard sources like riggers and sailmakers?
Old 13-07-2016, 11:29   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Norsemen quit offering cones a few years ago. Basically they screwed anyone who bought norsemen mechanical fittings after they were bought by nvatec/Lewmar. Try SecoSouth in Miami. They have some Norsemen left over stock.
Old 13-07-2016, 11:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Norsemen quit offering cones a few years ago. Basically they screwed anyone who bought norsemen mechanistically fittings after they were bought by nvatec/Lewmar. Try SecoSouth in Miami. They have some Norsemen left over stock.
That's a bummer. Makes me glad I stuck with Sta-Lok fittings on my new rig.
Old 13-07-2016, 11:35   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Bought cones for 6mm Norseman fittings from Fishery's Supply in Seattle last year fisheriessupply.com. First I've heard of cones being NLA. If that is the case, looks like they are intentionally trying to kill their market.
Old 13-07-2016, 11:50   #6

See attached:
Old 13-07-2016, 12:16   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
See attached:
S**t, all my wire terminals are Norseman. Better snap up any cones I can while they are still available.

Have never had much faith in NavTec after having two sets of their turnbuckles develop cracks in less than a year of service in SoPac. Seems their business practices equal their product reliability.
Old 13-07-2016, 13:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
S**t, all my wire terminals are Norseman. Better snap up any cones I can while they are still available.

Have never had much faith in NavTec after having two sets of their turnbuckles develop cracks in less than a year of service in SoPac. Seems their business practices equal their product reliability.
Yep, get some cones for your sized fittings while you still can. A fair number of sizes are pretty much unavailable. In reality, I think the cones are re-usable if they come out clean.

Not sure this is really Navtec, as I think it occurred after Lewmar took over.
Old 13-07-2016, 16:47   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Having just been through a search for Norseman parts, I can say that the pickin's are getting pretty slim. I checked all the suggested sources and a few others that came to mind, and I struck out on my bits. However, there are a few cones still lurking about, but mostly for odd wire sizes. I fear that until an independent machine shop picks up the challenge and starts manufacturing cones, we're screwed, and all our rather expensive terminals are gonna be useless.

Or are they? Does anyone really know why the cones can not be re-used? I've had a look at quite a few, both Norseman and Sta-Lok, and it is hard for me to understand what is wrong with them. There are typically very slight indentations where the wires were crushed against the outer surface, and otherwise they appear as new. Is there really something that now will not work, or were the admonitions to replace just CYA by the manufacturers and a boost to the revenue stream?

We've got a bunch of MEs on this forum... perhaps one of them may have some knowledgeable input on the subject.

Jim
Old 13-07-2016, 17:40   #10

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Nice kick in the gut from Lewmar!
Old 13-07-2016, 18:47   #11

Boat: Pearson 40

Jim in regards to the question can I reuse the old cones here is an industry general idea:

Norseman used to recommend to change the cones after each wire change the idea being that the cone is weakened and might break on the unscarfed side . Most riggers go with the idea because they were cheap and easy to change.

I have reused a few cones and put a few thousand offshore miles on them with no issue. Upon removal and inspection the sample one looked no different than when I installed it. Might be changes at the molecular level but a 10x magnifying glass did not show anything different except the usual striations - they were not really deep.

I did remove cones on other boats that showed very deep groves on them which makes me think they might be weaker?? Dont know for sure.

I am still talking to my machinist friend and looks like this year he'll have cones and do pull tests on them.

Will keep you up

Cheers
Old 13-07-2016, 18:59   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverp40 View Post
Jim in regards to the question can I reuse the old cones here is an industry general idea:

Norseman used to recommend to change the cones after each wire change the idea being that the cone is weakened and might break on the unscarfed side . Most riggers go with the idea because they were cheap and easy to change.

I have reused a few cones and put a few thousand offshore miles on them with no issue. Upon removal and inspection the sample one looked no different than when I installed it. Might be changes at the molecular level but a 10x magnifying glass did not show anything different except the usual striations - they were not really deep.

I did remove cones on other boats that showed very deep groves on them which makes me think they might be weaker?? Dont know for sure.

I am still talking to my machinist friend and looks like this year he'll have cones and do pull tests on them.

Will keep you up

Cheers
Thanks for the update, and the experience with re-use. I hope that I have a couple of years left before a total re-rig, and the new T-ball fittings from SeaRig will, of course, have their own cones included, so I'm covered for now (I think). By re-rig time, i hope your pal is in business.

But there are so many Norseman users around the world who are screwed by Navtec's decision. Re reading their announcement posted above really pisses me off... abandoning their customers to improve the current bottom line. How classy. And to do it without prior announcement so t hat we could stock up on replacement parts. What thoughtful folks.

Jim
Old 14-07-2016, 16:44   #13

Boat: Creekmore 34

Well, lots of info that I already knew, but no luck finding the cones/wedges. Went ahead and ordered new Sta-lok fittings... Cha-Ching $$$
Thanks anyways Folks

Old 14-07-2016, 18:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggear View Post
Well, lots of info that I already knew, but no luck finding the cones/wedges. Went ahead and ordered new Sta-lok fittings... Cha-Ching $$$
Thanks anyways Folks

There's always swages
I
Old 14-07-2016, 20:13   #15

Needed cones last year for 1/4 inch rigging. Had a helluva time finding them, but Port Townsend Rigging came through for me.

Tags
parts