Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2016, 05:26   #1

Boat: 1973 Morgan 41, Out/Island
Northern Lights Diesel Generator

I'm looking for a Northern Lights diesel generator in good reliable condition. Approx 7-10 KW Also looking for a Krusin Kool A/C
Old 27-02-2016, 06:03   #2

Boat: Grand Banks 49
Re: Northern Lights Diesel Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganstrudel41 View Post
I'm looking for a Northern Lights diesel generator in good reliable condition. Approx 7-10 KW Also looking for a Krusin Kool A/C
===

Since you are in the Ft Myers area I'd suggest that you check with the folks at Gulf Coast Marine Electric at Ft Myers Beach. They do a lot of the local generator work and may be able to give you a lead.

GCME 239-765-6600
815 Buttonwood Drive
Fort Myers Beach, FL 33931-2201
Old 27-02-2016, 12:17   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 22 Charles Crosby Catboat

Here are a few to consider.
If none of these work for you,
you can set up your own daily search.
Good Luck!
Doug

BUPS (Boat Used Part Search)
Sat Feb 27 20:13:32 2016 GMT
SEARCH: MySearch
FOUND: 7 ALL LISTINGS: 67836

Northern Lights 12 kwh marine generator
http://providence.craigslist.org/bpo/5452336009.html
SITE: Craigslist CITY: rhode island STATE: RhodeIsland

Jabsco 25-12057 water pump">Raw Water Pump *Serviced Northern Lights Generators
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jabsco-25-12...-/151996288509
SITE: Ebay boat parts CITY: See Listing STATE: See Listing

TAD for, Northern Lights 22-92120, Northern Lights Generators
http://www.tadiesels.com/used/mipt/mipt-22-92120.htm
SITE: Trans Atlantic Diesel CITY: Hayes STATE: Virginia

Kohler Marine Generator 5,7KW. Westerbeke 3,5,&7KW 8kw Northern Lights
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bpd/5430925114.html
SITE: Craigslist CITY: boston - boston/camb/brook STATE: Massachusetts

Generator Northern Lights M1064T2 55 kW
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Generator-No...-/262298016044
SITE: Ebay boat parts CITY: See Listing STATE: See Listing

Northern Lights M38CR2 Diesel Engine For Sale
https://www.dieselenginetrader.com/e...s.cfm?id=80256
SITE: Diesel Engine Trader CITY: See Listing STATE: See Listing

Norther Lights Lugger
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/bpo/5449915463.html
SITE: Craigslist CITY: seattle-tacoma - tacoma STATE: Washington

SEARCH TERMS:
northern-lights - - -
krusin-cool - - -
STATES:
ALL

You are receiving this email as a BUPS Early Adopter.
Please REPLY to provide feedback or stop these emails.

© 2015 Boat Used Part Search, aka BUPS
Old 27-02-2016, 18:01   #4

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat

I second the comment about Gulf Coast Marine Electric. They are the best in the area. They fixed my Northern Lights like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-02-2016, 08:40   #5

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I love my 7kw Northern Lights but caution you not to buy a second hand unit. No one ever parted with a reliable one. Gen sets are best purchased new.
Old 28-02-2016, 09:13   #6

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
I love my 7kw Northern Lights but caution you not to buy a second hand unit. No one ever parted with a reliable one. Gen sets are best purchased new.
===

There's some truth to that but also some exceptions. For example, I once removed a running 7kw Westerbeke because we needed more power.
Old 28-02-2016, 10:28   #7

The NL generators often are on sale at such places as Harbor Freight. New probably not much more costly than used. The Chinese company that makes them makes other brands like honeywell, the costco and sam's club brands, and so forth. Even the Honda brand under license. So you go a range to choose from for the same setup. Go with the cheapest.
Old 28-02-2016, 11:46   #8

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

With all due respect to reedv1, I believe you are mistaken about the Northern Lights brand. I have never heard of these being sold new outside of their dealer network. They are not portable. They are exclusively diesel powered using very robust Alaska Marine Diesel engines, Luggers. If I'm not mistaken these are John Deer blocks made in Waterloo, IA. I am not certain where their electrical components are manufactured but I believe it is in the USA. These are high quality and therefore expensive generators. For a permanent generator installation, I don't believe there is a better one made. I am not affiliated with them but I have a great deal of experience with many brands of continuous duty generators and I have had less issues with my Northern Lights gen set than any other. This is a very good area of boat equipment to not go cheap.
Old 28-02-2016, 13:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
With all due respect to reedv1, I believe you are mistaken about the Northern Lights brand. I have never heard of these being sold new outside of their dealer network. They are not portable. They are exclusively diesel powered using very robust Alaska Marine Diesel engines, Luggers. If I'm not mistaken these are John Deer blocks made in Waterloo, IA. I am not certain where their electrical components are manufactured but I believe it is in the USA. These are high quality and therefore expensive generators. For a permanent generator installation, I don't believe there is a better one made. I am not affiliated with them but I have a great deal of experience with many brands of continuous duty generators and I have had less issues with my Northern Lights gen set than any other. This is a very good area of boat equipment to not go cheap.
You are probably correct. My memory is that the electrician who set up our backup power system(we live on an island) gave us several power options, including northern light. The big issue was reliability and parts. His advice was that most of the smaller generators(i.e. not detroit diesel size) were virtually the same manufacturer and parts/reliability would not be a problem.
We went with Cummins. At least at that time, 15 years ago, harbor freight and salvage did have a wide range of diesel engines. But that was when HFS was a real industrial tooling outfit. Anyways, thanks for correcting me.
BTW, Think i was confusing NL with Northern Tools.

Tags
diesel, generator, Northern Lights