Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2010, 17:56   #1

Boat: 1975 Ericson 23' MKII
Outboard ( 3.5 - 10hp )

My wonderful Johnson 8 25'' died, may she RIP.

I need a very reliable motor for a 23' Ericson and I live in Vero Beach, Fl

Thanks
Old 16-02-2010, 18:58   #2

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Some bad news, and maybe some more bad news.

First, might I suggest you consider a smaller motor? Your boat would likely move to hull speed with 4hp or less. Some might prefer 5 or 6hp if you motor long distances or into wind.

Next, the very bad news. You are unlikely to find a comparable motor for sale anywhere today.

The newer 4 stroke motors are all single cylinder unless you go to an 8hp... which is both too much hp, and way too heavy for your boat. The Honda and Yamaha 4 strokes are excellent, but very heavy.

There is still a 2cyl Yamaha 2 stroke (8hp) that you can find in a 15" shaft.. but the 20" has not been marketed for a couple years.

I bought one of the Mercury / Nissan / Tohatsu 6hp 4 stroke motors. I had a 6hp Yamaha 2 stroke, and this is not nearly as nice as the Yamaha, or your old Johnson. The 3 motors I mention above are the EXACT same motor BTW, so unless buying used you might not want to spend the $$$ on the Mercury...

Good luck finding your replacement. The OMC Yachttwin were great motors and it will be difficult to replace.
Old 16-02-2010, 20:02   #3

Boat: 1975 Ericson 23' MKII
thanks for the reply... "difficult to replace"... I KNOW!! I paid $150 just to have a guy tell me he could not fix it. The shaft is rusted to the powerhead. A mechanic with a decent reputation said he heated it until red hot and still could not get the thing apart.

She sits in pieces in my shed

My back-up plan is to buy that popular nissan 6hp 25". Are you happy with it? I know it is not the gas chugging, smoke blowing 2 stroke throwing oil out the back... but it should be reliable and more the boat right? I plan on taking my old ericson to the bahamas soon and I want a reliable motor as I would not trust the Johnson I had.
Old 16-02-2010, 20:55   #4

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
No, frankly I am not too pleased with the motor.

The Tohatsu / Mercury / Nissan 4,5,&6hp motors are all made on the Tohatsu plant. I did QUITE a bit of digging before I bought mine and learned that there is no difference between them other then the decals and the name on the fuel tank. Mercury does make a separate prop for sailboats which I bought and tried and was disappointed with (a 5.99 x7 as opposed to the 7x7 the others come with).

The problem is the vibration is significant, the zinc is so tiny they can not tolerate more then a weeks use in salt water.. and they are nearly as loud as the 2 stroke! The other (2 cyl) 4 stroke are smooth and quiet... just not the ones a Sailor is likely to be interested in.

Good luck in your quest, I know this is the classified forum but at least your request is getting bumped to the top.

Tags
outboard