Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2007, 16:21   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Paid Consults

Hello

What is your policy on posting to look to pay for help/consultant on a problem?

Thanks

Michael
Old 25-09-2007, 17:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You need to be more clear about what you mean. If you are offering services for hire then one post to the classifieds section is permitted. If you are looking to hire someone I suggest you ask around locally for a good referal.
Old 25-09-2007, 18:48   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
You need to be more clear about what you mean. If you are offering services for hire then one post to the classifieds section is permitted. If you are looking to hire someone I suggest you ask around locally for a good referal.
I was looking for some help. I have looked locally so far. So far, little agreement on how to fix my problem. Thanks for the clarification. You folks run a great board.
Old 25-09-2007, 18:59   #4

Why don't you outline the problem? there are enough opinions around here to confuse you even more.
Old 25-09-2007, 19:06   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
there are enough opinions around here to confuse you even more.
As a general rule we always put our best people on such problems Satisfaction is assured or your money back.
Old 25-09-2007, 21:29   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
That's why we are on such high pay rates around here. It cost's to get the best.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Old 26-09-2007, 00:03   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I think he is referring to his rot problem on teh refit thread...
Old 26-09-2007, 02:49   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
MV has described his problem at “Bowsprit area core delamination / rot / wet”
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...wet-10280.html

A good marine carpenter or shipwright may be able to provide practical solutions.
Can anyone make recommendations for such a professional tradesman, who might travel to Twentynine Palms, California?

Old 26-09-2007, 10:27   #9

Hmmm, yeah I guess you might have trouble finding a shipwright in Twentynine Palms:

Old 26-09-2007, 10:29   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Lightbulb

If one examines the photo of the aft end of the bowsprit, it appears that that top lamination of the sprit upon which the windlass et al were installed was added after the structural elements of the sprit itself were through-bolted through the raised mounting bed--hence the bolts being evident from beneath the deck but not above. I suspect that this lamination is wider than the underlying structural element forward of the stem, perhaps to provide footing and certainly to allow an easier mate with the faces of the cap-strips on the bulwarks on either side of the bowsprit. This approach would have been used to cover the heads of mounting bolts to provide a flush surface for the windlass base itself. Odds are that on the outboard ends of the bowsprit, the surface lamination has some plugs hiding screws.

The repair will be somewhat labor intense but not to difficult. The top lamination on the bowsprit will have to be removed. Odds are it was screwed and glued so there is probably not much hope of getting it off intact. Given that, I suggest that after getting any and all of the hardware bolted to the lamination free, ones should make a cardboard pattern before attempting to separate and remove the top lamination.

Once the top lamination is gone, the anchor bolts through the raised base can be removed and the sprit lifted off. With that, one can attack the underside of the raised base with a drummel tool to remove the surface glass and wood core--hopefully leaving the outer--weather--surface undamaged. Once all of the rot and debris are removed, one could build up the underside of the base with alternating layers of woven roving and mat rather than replacing the plywood with more that will certainly rot again at some point. And, with some built-up fillets at the corners on either side of the base, one should be able to carry the roving out to the undersides of the deck itself on either side. Once the whole business has cured up, one can make up a pattern with a thin piece of plywood door-skin and have a backing plate made that will accommodate the anchor bolts from the sprit, the bolts from the windlass, the chain-pipe and the bolts from the Sampson-post. Then, a local wood shop can make up a replacement top laminate for the sprit itself and the whole business reassembled. If the top surface of the sprit is damaged somewhat when the top lamination is removed, that can be repaired with thickened epoxy putty pretty easily and then smoothed to accept the new surface lamination.

The foregoing is almost more work to describe than it is to simply do. As the victim seems to be located in Long Beach, Marina Shipyard, off the 2nd Street Bridge into Naples, can certainly do the work if he's not up to it.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 26-09-2007, 10:34   #11
cruiser

I laughed HARD at this picture... not the best place to set up a shipwright business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Hmmm, yeah I guess you might have trouble finding a shipwright in Twentynine Palms:

Old 26-09-2007, 17:29   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
I laughed HARD at this picture... not the best place to set up a shipwright business.
Well they laughed at Noah in his day
Old 26-09-2007, 19:37   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post

Stop laughing at the view from my front porch!
Old 26-09-2007, 19:43   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
..... snip....

The foregoing is almost more work to describe than it is to simply do. As the victim seems to be located in Long Beach, Marina Shipyard, off the 2nd Street Bridge into Naples, can certainly do the work if he's not up to it.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
Amazing! Thanks for the analysis. I hope the admin people move your post to the thread I started about this project!! BTW: I have been to Marina Shipyard for a quick quote -- they started at several thousands and moved to many thousands. My plan is to motor over there (they are around the corner) and get an on the spot quote.

One small detail about your plan concerns me: If I take the bowsprit apart as you say, would the mast need to come down while the work was being done?

Michael