Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2015, 05:22   #1

Boat: Pearson 36-2
Pearson 36-2

This is a fine example of a well-maintained Capable Ocean Going Cruiser. Family weekends on Catalina Island or extended ocean cruising can be had comfortably on this spacious and stout William Shaw Yacht design. The extra time and costs of Hand Laid Woven Roving mark Pearson’s commitment to quality from this yachts conception. From her hearty rig to her deep draft, everything about this boat is overbuilt and robust. Commonly but inadequately compared to a Catalina 36, Pearson excels in every design aspect over its chopper gun constructed little sister. Pearson’s spacious interior boasts 6’5” of head room which is unheard of in similar sized boats. At 36.5ft S/V Carpe Diem offers confident seafaring, a manageable yet powerful sail plan, proven design, classic lines and a host of amenities that demonstrate why the Pearson 36-2 is the Collectible Classic Plastic built to stand the test of time.
A reliable, freshwater cooled 30hp Yanmar diesel lies at the heart of S/V Carpe Diem. Conveniently positioned amidships under the galley sink with access to three sides; changing the Racor fuel filter, or inspecting the Bronze Perko Sea strainer are simple and enjoyable tasks. Pair the power plant with a geared, feathering Maxi-Prop, PSS dripless shaft seal and a new cutlass bearing. This propulsion set up pushes 15,500 pounds at a 6.5mph at a 2200rpm cruise and burns .75gph.
With a 22 gallon tank Carpe Diem can get you where you want to go at a comfortable speed.
A clean, dry, Awlgrip Bilgekote painted bilge is the pride of this vessel. It sets the precedent for how everything else is looked after on this lovingly cared for Bristol fashion vessel. Any leaks or problems are immediately evident in a sparkling bilge.
In the bilge you’ll find an adequately sized Rule service pump. Elevated slightly higher is an Oversized Rule High-water Bilge Pump integrated with the vessel’s high-water alarm. This pumps thoughtful installation insures it remains in a new, always-ready condition in the event of a primary pump failure. Finally, there is a bronze strainer routed to a manual pump positioned at the helm station. You will find this example of redundancy carries through many of Carpe Diem’s design features.
Furuno GPS and Raymarine Radar make safely navigating Carpe Diem to her destination a breeze. A self-leveling radar mount gives a clear picture even when heeled over.
A large dining table and 32 inch flat screen TV make the living room a comfortable setting to entertain guests. With the 1800 watt Xantrex inverter charger you can silently use your household electronics at anchor and intelligently charge deep cycle batteries when shore power is available.
The Navigation station is outfitted with a large chart table smartly positioned next to the electronics panel. True to Pearson’s intuitive design the electronics panel is hinged and can drop down to provide access to the main wiring harness. Installing new electronics or maintaining the existing ones is made simple with the easy to reach wiring setup and electronics panel.
A large cockpit insures your passengers wont get in the way of you sailing your boat.
At anchor the luxurious teak binnacle table turns the cushioned cockpit into an alfresco dinning room.
Storage is more than ample with hanging lockers, wet lockers, anchor lockers, chain lockers, a lazarette so big that you can climb into it, cubbies, drawers and even a liquor cabinet with bottle rack. No space is wasted.
With all boats, build quality is important, but equally important is the upkeep and love previous owners put into them.
This boat is my baby. If a simple wire crimp would be adequate, I used conductive gel, a marine rated butt splice, marine rated shrink-wrap and supporting wire ties every 6inches. I replaced the mattress with a custom-made memory foam mattress nicer than my bed at home.
I really trust this vessel and stand behind her. I encourage serious buyers to come down to the docks and look in the bilge, poke around my vacuumed lazarrette, inspect the quality of my work and realize that this vessel is a prized gem ready to take you where you want to go!

Markus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA104008.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	103571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0710.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	103572  

Name:	IMG_3713.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	103573   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6014.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	103574  

Name:	IMG_6156.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	103575   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6537.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	103576  

Name:	IMG_3715.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	103577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6155.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	103578  

Name:	IMG_6264.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	103579   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3712.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	103580  

Old 11-06-2015, 06:59   #2

Re: Pearson 36-2

What's the price on this boat?
Old 11-06-2015, 08:00   #3

Asking $59,900USD
Old 11-06-2015, 08:18   #4

Ive got LOTS of pictures!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2468.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	103586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2500.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	103587  

Name:	P9013955.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	103588   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2636.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	103589  

Name:	IMG_0243.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	103590   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0841.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	103591  

Old 11-06-2015, 08:23   #5

Delivery to you is a possibility!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1056.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	103592   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9667.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	103593  

Name:	IMG_0788.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	103594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6266.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	103595  

Name:	IMG_5954.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	103596  
Old 13-06-2015, 00:56   #6

Hello, i have the same boat and was curious if you may know a few things I need to find out. I am replacing the PSS shaft seal, shaft coupling, the cutlass bearing and the stern tube. I'm considering replacing the prop shaft as well. My prop shaft is 1.25" but can't find out how long it is. The water here is very murky and has swift currents so don't know,if i can rely on my own measurements. Looking for a stern tube i don't find any information. I would assume the id is 1.25". When i look at the boat plans it shows it as a stuffing box thru hull but gives no measurements. Also the cutlass bearing...if you know the size of that it would be helpful.
I was selling my boat a few years ago but luckily as was always in a hard place to have people view it. I feel lucky about that and am now keeping her. These are magnificient live aboards and I'v sailed from California and am now in Malaysia. It's been a great trip and a wonderful boat to get me here.
Good luck selling yours.
Cheers!
Old 13-06-2015, 05:21   #7

Sy_doinit
Thanks for the vote of confidence that I should sell my boat (sarcasm) parting with a boats has been worse than breaking up with my girlfriends in the past. So you know I'm conflicted about listing Carpe diem!

Im currently residing in Vietnam and while the ocean here calls me daily I never realistically considered getting her all the way here from California! Now that's a conversation I'd like to have with you!
I have the manual for the pss that specifies the model number that was installed but am sorry to tell you it's in California at the moment sitting in the boat. You are correct with 1.25shaft diameter measurements. That's the internal diameter of my shaft zinc without question. It needed a cutlass bearing when I hauled out for my new bottom last April so I had the yard do this. I was concerned it would be difficult to source a cutlass bearing for an older boat however it seems they used a common size. I wish I could be more useful as I imagine things will not be as straightforward for you in Malaysia. You could call basin marine in Newport Beach. They completed the work there and id imagine they could locate that information for you. If you change the cutlass bearing before waiting too long, your shaft shouldn't need replacing.

Can I ask:What kind of systems did you install for the crossing? What route did you take? What autopilot did you choose? Are you living dockside or on the hook?

Thanks for adding to my doubt, I know I will not find another boat like this if she goes.
Old 13-06-2015, 18:45   #8

Thank you, I emailed them. Not sure what will come of it but I know we need a little help. I can't believe you have that great boat sitting in Long Beach when you're in Vietnam. I sailed from Long Beach six years ago. It took five years to get here and if I could, I would do it all over again. A friend of mine sailed from Cali to the Philippines in 45 days so you can take as long or as little as you want. I'd offer to bring your boat over for you but it'd take a while cause there's soooooo much to see out there. Oh, what i'd give to see it all again. Maybe we can continue this somewhere else.....sy_doinit@hotmail
Old 15-06-2015, 23:54   #9

Have another question. Any idea the size or length of the throttle and shifter cables? I think they are 3/8" od but a blog i saw shows 24' long which seems unreasonable.
Help?

Tags
pearson