Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2007, 06:18   #1
cruiser

Posting Classifieds and eBay? How to follow rules?

I was talking with Del about this, and asked him this question. I figured it would be a good thing to have a support thread about, since others may have this question as well.

I recently posted a number of items for sale in the classifieds section. I posted the item and a link to its "no reserve" auction in eBay. This is against the rules, so I did that wrong. The rules say not to have links to outside sites. No problem.

The question really is this:

If I have items in an eBay auction (Nissan/Tohastu outboard, bosun's chair, harnesses, VHF, GPS(es), etc... etc... etc...) all at no reserve, meaning the buyers set the price of the items, isn't this a very good value for the other members?

If so, how do I let the other members know about the items I'm selling?

I can't accept offers that are not through eBay, since I will get a bad eBay rating if I do. Is there a way to list the items and then show the other cruisers forum members where to look if they want to buy any of them?

PS: Currently, my VHF and GPS are selling for $1. This has to be good for the community, right?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:34   #2

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Sean,

I am looking for a million things, would love to see a list.

By the way hope all is well with you.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:40   #3
cruiser

I know, Mike. I'm not sure how to do it within the rules. Hopefully an Admin will be able to answer this question. Maybe it would be a good policy to have an outside link be legal in the case of a "no reserve" auction, since the buyers are setting the price in that case?

Anxious to find out.

I'm basically selling most of my boating stuff, so as soon as I find a way to get it up here, I'll have a list.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:52   #4

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Fantastico...Maybe I can do my Christmas shopping for Tivoli here..

Mike
Old 06-12-2007, 07:11   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Can you post the eBay item number without an actual link? Would that be allowable?

Or is the problem that it is for sale on a different site?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:17   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Can you post the eBay item number without an actual link? Would that be allowable?

Or is the problem that it is for sale on a different site?
I'm really not sure what I'm allowed to do. I'm hoping to hear back from an Admin on this soon. I'll have something up by the end of the day, I hope!

It appears that the linking to the other site (eBay) was the problem. I'm looking forward to figuring out how to get the info to everyone.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:43   #7
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
PS: Currently, my VHF and GPS are selling for $1. This has to be good for the community, right?
Even if ya don't set a reserve on e-bay, ya can still set a minimum price to start the bidding..Say $75.00 or whatever for the VHF and GPS.

I have sold tons of stuff on e-bay with cross links on this site and others and never got in trouble..Did not know it was against any rule..
Old 06-12-2007, 07:43   #8

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Not sure if this fits the TOS and apologies if it doesn't, but how about just mentioning your eBay ID? Finding items by seller is easy ("Advanced Search" to the right of the normal search box).

Cheers,
Steve
Old 06-12-2007, 07:51   #9
cruiser

CSY Man: Me too. I also have sold a few things on here and linked to eBay. This was the first time I had the thread pulled. I set the starting bid at $1 for all my items because I like to do that. I trust the market value over what I might think my item is worth. I definitely want to sell everything. The ouboard is going up now... $1 starting bid, no reserve.

Steve: I was thinking of that... maybe a list of items being sold on here and a link off to the eBay username. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the admins allow.

Admins: Where are you???
Old 06-12-2007, 09:15   #10
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Sean - while I'm not ADMIN, I would suspect that doing what Microship suggested would be perfectly correct. You might also include instructions (as he did) on how to use the information. Obviously that would all be posted in the classifieds.

As you know, some of these rules we have hinder our long time and valued members from doing what you wanted to do. Unfortunately, a few people cause these rules to be implemented. But, I believe, that we've found a good solution. Yes?

Thomas
Cruiser's Forum Moderator
Old 06-12-2007, 09:41   #11

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Should be able to just list the eBay item numbers here - no link, just the numbers.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:03   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yeah I am happy with Microship's idea. For now I will say, go ahead and do it that way. I will take the issue to our "board meeting :-) " and discuss it. I hope you all understand that it is not that we are being ...... (insert any word you may like) but the rule is a safeguard against having a flood gate open to the more sinister type hit an run posters and spammers.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:21   #13
cruiser

Being a former member of the mod/admin team, I can definitely relate to the difficulty in figuring this stuff out. I think I was stumped a time or two on these types of issues when trying to come up with workable limits.

I will proceed as MicroShip suggested (and the mods/admins blessed), with a classified ad showing the product and the eBay auction ID number, without any type of link.

Thank you guys, for helping me understand how I can do this and still stay within the rules. I think we can all agree that a no reserve auction benefits everyone - including the mods/admins that might be hankering for some of the cheap loot! ha ha hah
Old 06-12-2007, 15:05   #14
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
I'm sorry Sean ... can you repost that, I seemed to have drooooooooled all over it and the words ran together! hehehehehe could be a merry xmas indeed!
Old 06-12-2007, 15:50   #15
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post

I will proceed as MicroShip suggested (and the mods/admins blessed), with a classified ad showing the product and the eBay auction ID number, without any type of link.
There's always a link on the upper right hand side of your listing to "View Sellers Other Items" so it's easy to find all your listings Sully. Keeping my eye on a few things!