Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 23:47   #1

Boat: S2, 9.2, 30 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to RW Sailor
Sailboat Hull...

...for a project of mine I am currently seeking a new sailboat. with the following specifications:
It should be at least 50ft long, single or multihull (preferred multihull), with a doghouse and ideally inside steering as well.
Ideally it would be steel or aluminium but not a must.
It is meant to be used for a project for sustainable boating and Ocean conservation after being outfitted properly. Therefore there is not really a need for a lot to be on the hull. Would be nice if a rig and everything needed to sail it is in place but the chances are that everything will be replaced or redesigned in the process.
Price should ideally be as low as possible. Alternative I can offer my 30ft boat completely redone interior, Windvane steering, solar panels, composting head, brand new electric engine with big battery bank, ... in exchange with compensations to one or the other side.
Will be grateful for any advice, offers etc.
For more information about the Project please visit Project Manaia
Thanks already for hints and others!
Old 05-04-2014, 08:54   #2
cruiser

Re: Sailboat Hull...

there was a big planning cat hull, 45' i believe on yachtworld some years ago. I doubt it ever sold. other then that there are 100's of half finished boats, most in the 40-50' range.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan316 View Post
there was a big planning cat hull, 45' i believe on yachtworld some years ago. I doubt it ever sold. other then that there are 100's of half finished boats, most in the 40-50' range.
Thank you for the reply! I was of course looking for those half finished boats, but couldn't quite figure out where to find them for reasonable prices. The usual suspects (Boat24, sailboat listings, etc) seem to be restricted to finished boats. The occasional half finished one costs pretty much the same but still needs the work...
So if you happen to have link tips please let me know as well! Very much appreciated!
Old 05-04-2014, 09:15   #4
cruiser

Good luck but from looking at the site it seems like another case of people bankrolling you wanting to be on the water. As in most instances boating, sailing, ect... Is so costly that whatever funding you could get would be better spent on anything besides a boat. Will this boat be a jointly owned LLC thing or your home? The web site is pretty vague about what your going to do after your hooked up with a vessel and other people pay for it. Doing anything on a boat besides personal recreation needs to be a coast guard approved vessel. No offense but sailing for a cause had been tried before and any money you get could be better spent toward land based pursuits of spreading whatever your trying to enlighten people to. (I'm still not sure what you could actually accomplish). It borderline reeks of scam.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
Good luck but from looking at the site it seems like another case of people bankrolling you wanting to be on the water. As in most instances boating, sailing, ect... Is so costly that whatever funding you could get would be better spent on anything besides a boat. Will this boat be a jointly owned LLC thing or your home? The web site is pretty vague about what your going to do after your hooked up with a vessel and other people pay for it. Doing anything on a boat besides personal recreation needs to be a coast guard approved vessel. No offense but sailing for a cause had been tried before and any money you get could be better spent toward land based pursuits of spreading whatever your trying to enlighten people to. (I'm still not sure what you could actually accomplish). It borderline reeks of scam.
Hello and thanks for the answer... Just to make a clear point here, I am not trying to get life on the water financed by others. I already have my own boat which I would give up for this. And also this boat would be registered in the name of an association in Austria (my home country) for the purpose of taking university students out to do their research (I am Marine biologist myself and can assist in their projects), do educational work for small groups of interested people and more the like.
As for the boat itself, it would always belong to the association (which is made up from more than a few people) and if for whatever reason this association would stop existing it is defined in our rules (sorry, missing the proper word in english here) that everything the association owns (funding money, the boat itself, equipment etc) will be donated to a different NGO with the same goal, such as ocenresearch, Mare Mundi, Pro Mare, Planet ocean or similar.
So you see, I am trying to get work done and not just enjoy myself. I spent the last 5 years of my life on Greenpeace ships seeing a lot of the things that are going wrong in this world and want to convince people to do something and I feel like first hand education and actually SHOWING them is the way to go, therefore I want to really get this started...
If you got more suggestions please let me know... and one more thing: I did not ask for a free boat, I am willing to pay for all this. If I can't find anyone or any company sponsoring the project I will keep working and pay myself, it would just take me much longer, that's all...
Old 10-05-2014, 13:02   #6

Boat: Roberts Spray 40

Our hull does not fit your specifications, but perhaps you'll have a look at it and see if you might be interested. We're located in NE Ohio.
See pics on facebk under the name of Palmerton Boat.
Good luck with your endeavors!!
Old 12-05-2014, 00:05   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW Sailor View Post
Hello and thanks for the answer... Just to make a clear point here, I am not trying to get life on the water financed by others. I already have my own boat which I would give up for this. And also this boat would be registered in the name of an association in Austria (my home country) for the purpose of taking university students out to do their research (I am Marine biologist myself and can assist in their projects), do educational work for small groups of interested people and more the like.
As for the boat itself, it would always belong to the association (which is made up from more than a few people) and if for whatever reason this association would stop existing it is defined in our rules (sorry, missing the proper word in english here) that everything the association owns (funding money, the boat itself, equipment etc) will be donated to a different NGO with the same goal, such as ocenresearch, Mare Mundi, Pro Mare, Planet ocean or similar.
So you see, I am trying to get work done and not just enjoy myself. I spent the last 5 years of my life on Greenpeace ships seeing a lot of the things that are going wrong in this world and want to convince people to do something and I feel like first hand education and actually SHOWING them is the way to go, therefore I want to really get this started...
If you got more suggestions please let me know... and one more thing: I did not ask for a free boat, I am willing to pay for all this. If I can't find anyone or any company sponsoring the project I will keep working and pay myself, it would just take me much longer, that's all...
I think the more prudent thing to do...since you are a Marine Biologist....is to get a job as such. They make decent money and just think of the contacts you could meet in that field. Myself, I am a Machinist and bought a 35 ft.vessel with a good name that needed lots of TLC. I was cruising 2 years later.
You'll probably have to excuse any skepticism you come acroos on these threads as many people have tried your angle and yes it does seem like a free ride to the water.
There are lots and lots of organizations out there, doing what you want to do already.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Tags
hull, sail, sailboat