Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2011, 14:48   #46

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
i wouldnt mind a deposit with a broker, but how about a seller i dont know? at a dock i dont know, with a boat that may or may not be his?

i think someone mentioned an escrow service? anyone know a name or link to one?

If i knew more and or had boatman or RTB or Sailingmonkey with me, i would buy the boat right then and there... cash on the spot... but, figuring it would take a week to arrange an inspection and haulout and whatever else, there would be a huge probablility of the check being cashed by then...

that plus all my 'checks' will be out of state from a WELLS FARGO bank.. and i dont think there are any WF banks on that side of teh country...
There are Wells Fargo banks across the country. I'm in VA and mine is Wachovia, now owned by Wells Fargo.

You don't put up the deposit until you look the boat over and decide it's worth a survey. No deposits on unseen boat unless you are prepared for the risk.
Old 15-02-2011, 14:57   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
which boat are you talking about?
The Westerly Renown... there's 3 ad's but they're all the same boat if you look...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mainCAAIF280.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	23847  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 15-02-2011, 15:57   #48
cruiser

oh, i get so confused lookin at boats and tryin to keep the sorted... sorry.

andyea, i understand about not buyin a boat without seeing her and checkin her out enough to want to go forward with a survey and slip availability , etc, but if i give the check then contact the surveyor, chances are he and or the boat yard arent available tomorrow. it will take several days to get to look at the boat a few days to prepare the report...

the check will be cashed, and if hte survey comes back with somebigger then expected surprises, and the deal goes south, it will be up to the seller to refund the money... if i have to wait, that will affect my cash available for the next boat i want to look at and buy...
Old 15-02-2011, 16:15   #49

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
As suggested by boatman, I had a surveyor standing by in case I liked the "feel" of the boat. You only need to do a quick walk through and if it's what you want, call the surveyor over and do a thorough inspection with him.
Old 15-02-2011, 16:21   #50
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
berg-- go to the folks withthe (cherubini) hunter 33. offer 12k. see what they say if they like it they will give you boat and not a lot of grief, if they don tlike it, they will counter then you counter and seee what transpires. you may surprise yourself....if you like the westerly, go for it--- those are good lil boats --lisen to boatman on htose
Old 15-02-2011, 16:23   #51
cruiser

that maybe how it ends up, right now, i am a moving target.. i want to check out different boats in different areas, while checking out the different areas...

im looking for remote, and away from busy metropolis

but understand i need to be somewhat close to resources so they arent over priced...

the more remote i can be the quicker will be the better option for me...
Old 15-02-2011, 16:25   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Zee.... I've owned a Cherubini 37 and a Westerly Longbow 31.... if you were to ask me today which boat to pick... for free right in front of me.... I'd pick the Westerly... it was just so much better built than any Hunter ever has been

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 15-02-2011, 16:29   #53
cruiser

yea, that was kinda the plan.. the further away i am from florida and the carribean, the lower the offers...

kinda like practice negotiating...i guess the issue will be timing... i make an offer, and i am not sure how long it takes to shuffle numbers/info back and forth... i might make an offer then be in the keys by the time i get the counter offer...

and yes, i am over thinking and eing negative at the same time...
Old 15-02-2011, 16:33   #54

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
If you see a boat on your x-country pilgrimage and you like it, make an offer. Generally speaking these less expensive boats owners are ready to move, they're not going to consult with their accountants prior to countering. If you see a boat you like, that is more than the 15k cap, make a 15k offer pending the outcome of a survey. If the survey finds negotiable items (and it will) you can usually come back and have another 1-2k knoked off right away. This is especially true if you are waving green stuff back and forth ready to purchase right away.
Old 15-02-2011, 16:41   #55
cruiser

it's this double negotiations that would bug me... if i were a seller and i listed a boat for $15k, and somoene offered me $13k, and i thought, and hmmm and hawed and said yea.. then got the survey and it had normal stuff for a 30 year old boat, and the buyer said ok, now its $11k, it might take a while before i refunded his money.

or do sellers really anticipate this ... and i know the answer is yes, and if htey dont too bad...

the funny/wierd part of this is that my career position was contact management for very large construction projects where everything is negotiable. over th years i established a cirlcle of cooontracotrs and vendors that knew me and knew not to artificially inflate prices in anticipation and would give me thier lower / lowest prices up front...

anyways.. it is what it is and iw ill figure it out...
Old 15-02-2011, 16:42   #56
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
yeah--is no comparison westerly to hunter--hunter isnt up to the challenge of westerly-- go with that one if is in line with the budget-- for sure.
i didnt see the westerly until after i had written the hunter stuff.
Old 15-02-2011, 16:48   #57
cruiser

buyer beware@caveat empore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
The '77 Hunter is on craigslist for $5,500. I wonder if it has an interior, or is a hurricane boat.

30ft hunter sail boat

Funny, here the same boat is listed as a '76:

30ft Hunter sailboat!!!
--lots of scammers out there is great advice so look at it same as used car{check for liens on title},and if sitting in a yard on the hard make sure storage bill paid plus any charged repairs and/or haulout fees,,dont pay cash out till every detail satisfied or you might not get your deposit back for restricting sale to another or some other reason given by the buyer when you finally if ever get him/her in court trying to get your deposit back,,best to know you want it ,,check liens,,dont be afraid to ask yard for recent invoive,,and pay the full price and take title same day with 20% holdback for minorest thing such as anchors not on deck or dingy,,treat deal same as used car and survey not always necessary unless surveyor your friend and done cheap,,use your own judgement and study up on some books/magazines/internet forums so you will recognize hull blistering,prop shaft damage etc, plus stay fatigue mast step issues and corrosion between aluminum mast fittings and stainless fittings etc,,hence you can easily understand how quick a boat is really only worth 5000 when it needs a refit to be safe at sea,,hope some of this was educational
Old 15-02-2011, 17:19   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nusailr
Advantage Yacht Sales. Indiantown, FL, may have something to offer.Can't post a link 'cause I am in having some computer problems. A search will bring it up for you.

John
Yeah , but they don't return phone calls or want to bother with such a small sale. Been there done that and the boat I was interested in was over $40k.
Old 15-02-2011, 17:24   #59
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Quote:
yea, that was kinda the plan.. the further away i am from florida and the carribean, the lower the offers...
I would say this is not necessarily true. There are so many boats in Florida, basically lots more boats than buyers, that many sellers are desperate for any offer at all.

Also, I think it may be too much to ask to find a place you'd like to live and a boat you want to live on in the same place. Most boats you'll see will be floating and at least sea worthy enough to go from port to nearby port. Pick one or the other - place to live or boat - to pick first, then get them together by moving the boat. Moving from Texas coast to FL coast (since it seems you've decided to live in the US south for a while) should be no problem.

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 15-02-2011, 17:30   #60

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:

the check will be cashed, and if hte survey comes back with somebigger then expected surprises, and the deal goes south, it will be up to the seller to refund the money... if i have to wait, that will affect my cash available for the next boat i want to look at and buy...
You are absolutely correct here and that's why what you are trying to do is not for the faint of heart on a very limited/tight budget. In your case try not be be in a hurry and trust that the right boat will appear when the time is right.

Tags
florida, sailboat