Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 12:46   #16

I bought a Sailrite zig zag machine several years ago and have nothing but praise for the machine and the support sail rite provides. Keep up the good work sail rite!
Old 05-01-2011, 13:11   #17

Boat: Bristol 34
What is said (positive) about the Sailrite is correct. I have owned the Reliable Barracuda and now use the Sailrite LSZ-1.

The machines both come from Taiwan and probably the same factory. However, when they arrive the Reliable is shipped straight out, whereas the Sailrite machine is upgraded with several proprietary parts, including the posi-pin clutch and heavier balance wheel (add all these parts plus labor to the Reliable and the price exceeds the LSZ-1).

Sewing a few layers of Sunbrella or sailcloth is a breeze with the Reliable. It's a good machine. However, when it's time to punch through the chrome leather atop many layers of fabric, the Reliable is not so reliable. The Sailrite eats it all for lunch and if you can get the material under the foot - it will punch through it and make a perfect stitch.

Add to that, you get some damn good support from Sailrite. Just call them and you generally speak to Matt, but everyone there is helpful and very friendly. If you are an expert sail maker, then this may not be a bonus - but if you are not a pro and have a problem, the support alone is worth the extra money!!

In the interest of fair disclosure let me say that I sell the Sailrites as part of my business. However, I'm not plugging them for my personal gain and the reason I both use and sell the Sailrite is their quality and service.

Now of course if Matt wants to give me some extra off that dodger kit I'm about to order, then I'll be happy to update the above and take the gain.

You do get what you pay for, but that is not to say the Reliable is not a good machine. It's just the little extra you pay for the Sailrite is money well spent.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:02   #18

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Some people it comes down to price..some people it is quality. I am in the quality camp.

Sailrite has a great product, great support, have never heard one complaint from anyone on any forum or in person complain about Sailrite.

Where the older sailrites were similar to the reliant, they were not the same, as mentioned, key parts were upgraded, but not apparent to the end user...and continue to improve on their machines.. It is like how your make an MGB as reliable as a modern car by upgrading some key components like adding electronic ignition, etc. Most people won't notice the difference..but it is there (at least in my Bs) and makes a difference!

I think the comparison from GMC to Chevy is not appropriate..Both have identical support! I dont see reliable at boat shows..forums..sailing magazines..etc I don't see the free stuff and information that sailrite gives away at little or no cost on their website. It would be more like a modern Chevy pickup vs a Studebaker pickup..sure they can do the same task.. which has a better support system in place today?

Same deal when we bought our Ohlson, we had a choice of 2 for sale at the same time by the same broker. We GLADLY paid $50,000 more for the one we bought than the other one due to far better workmanship and upgrades. Sure both floated and sailed well. But the one we bought was such a better value in the long run, we had to go for it. 2 seasons and about 1000 miles sailed/motored, with a 1968 boat, and not a single repair needed. Best purchase we have made!! Sometimes buying a more expensive product is the cheaper way to go in the long run. This is why we bought the sailrite machine.. in the long run, with the incredible support system, history, and reliability, it was a far better value in the long run. We dicked around with a few cheaper machines..all returned..then just went for the Sailrite... never looked back.

I am sure the reliable is a fine machine...but I feel the Sailrite is a better value with the product and support they offer. No doubt some of the extra cost of the machine, in addition to their upgraded machines, is a significant marketing expense...but how will the end user and potential customers find them without a proper marketing plan?

Price is NOT the same as value!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:28   #19

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
While the Sailrite is a great machine, the main benefit of buying from them is the service. Their business model promotes educating the customer rather than just issuing an RMA and getting service revenue. This results in a very loyal customer base.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:24   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
My S/O uses a Sailrite and has made/remade just about all the canvas on our boat. The ONLY issue is the stitch length/reverse lever needs a detent to go back to the same size stitch all the time when reversing.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:37   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
My S/O uses a Sailrite and has made/remade just about all the canvas on our boat. The ONLY issue is the stitch length/reverse lever needs a detent to go back to the same size stitch all the time when reversing.
If you set the lever to where you want in forward..screw down the lever til it stops against the machine..when you go to reverse then back to forward..the stitch should be exactly where you had it before.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:23   #22

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
While the Sailrite is a great machine, the main benefit of buying from them is the service. Their business model promotes educating the customer rather than just issuing an RMA and getting service revenue. This results in a very loyal customer base.
There's a lot more than customer service.. the products are different..
We make our living doing Custom Marine Canvas so we know the difference and many of the products that sailrite controls, are found in our shop.
Even the Industrial JUKI we have is powered by a sailrite SCR-dc motor.
In the past, we always used sailrite for equeptment and accessories for the machines, and a few months ago, I purchased a binder for trim use from the internet.. simple little tool for edge trim.. had a problem with the binding rolling.. I called Matt at sailrite and he said there's was difference even thou it looked the same, as the specs, even minor, would show a difference.. bought it and it works perfect..
so even though, we that sew canvas on a daily basis, find differences in the products we cant plainly see, there is a difference and sailrite has a handle on the right specs and the right products..........

By the way, we started our business using a sailrite "Sailmaker" a few years ago.. So I think I owe my start in the business to the support of sailrite..
Or should I blame them for all the overtime and work i have to to......
Old 06-01-2011, 10:12   #23

I guess one has to justify the big price somehow. I spend enough at Sailrite and do know the quality and availability of their products are a big draw to beginners, however, this thread begins with the sale of an LS-1 which is regularly priced at $650US and I have personally seen them as low as $450US. So, an asking price of $700US for a used model seems a tad bit high. If there are those of you out there willing to pay more than retail for "quality", anchors away.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:36   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
this thread begins with the sale of an LS-1 which is regularly priced at $650US and I have personally seen them as low as $450US. So, an asking price of $700US for a used model seems a tad bit high. If there are those of you out there willing to pay more than retail for "quality", anchors away.
Yea thats crazy...unless they have some significant mods or stuff they are including with the machine
Old 07-01-2011, 08:03   #25

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Could be a shipping issue.. if its sent to you shipping paid, thats a good amount..
Just checked a loaded machine in the cataloge and it sells for $699.. If they are large spools of thread and he has 2.. my cost is $19.50 per spool, and I sell them retail for $26.00 and needles arnt cheep... My cost is $27.00 per hundred..
And he has sailrites canvas book another $19.00..
so If he's going to send it (shipping paid) from his end, shipping is about $45.00, the thread $50.00, needles and a book.. You could save $100 to $150 on the deal..
and make him an offer,
On the other hand, when we sold our LS-1 a couple years ago, I believe it went for $500.00 and we included all the goodies with it.....
Old 07-01-2011, 08:58   #26

The Sailrite claim to fame is warranty: "Sorry, we do not offer warranty transfers. But we do happily provide phone and email support to anyone with a Sailrite sewing machine. Thanks, Matt Grant
Sailrite"
My point being if one is to purchase a "used" machine (of any kind, type or make) and that product is better than the next, would not asking price reflect these considerations? Boat, car and other manufacturers pass on this warranty. Again I point out the glaring issue of value when a used item is compared to new. I have no issue with anybody's' asking price; just show me the value.

Old 18-01-2011, 16:45   #27

Talking Sold

Thanks for all the inquiries and the interesting discussion. The sailrite has been sold.
Old 23-02-2011, 17:06   #28
gwp

Re: Sailrite LS-1 Walking Foot Sewing Machine

I am considering purchase of a machine for a small business venture making boat canvas etc. I am now using a machine which is just getting me by. I have made a few purchases from sailrite and contacted them for advice more than a few times. It is certainly refreshing to know there are companies operated like sailrite. To say the least, Matt Grant is no midget in his industry.....he's been around the block a few times....... and how he does all he does is beyond me. He is easier to contact by phone than any of my 5 kids and he has ALWAYS responded to a forum question in less than 2 hours......no exaggeration. Sorry but I couldn't resist giving him the praise and thanks he and his staff very much deserves. If Matt says it......it's the truth.