Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 19:38   #1

Sailrite LS-1 Walking Foot Sewing Machine

Low hours, basically a new Sailrite LS-1. Comes with Monster wheel, Tool Kit, Sewing light, Thread stand, bobbins, 2 1000 yard thread spools(1 white, 1 black),needles, manual, case, canvas book. $700 + Shipping. Pics tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:35   #2

Here are pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sr1.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	22449   Click image for larger version

Name:	sr2.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	22450  

Name:	sr3.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	22451   Click image for larger version

Name:	sr4.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	22452  

Name:	sr5.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	22453   Click image for larger version

Name:	sr6.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	22454  

Old 02-01-2011, 08:26   #3

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20 S&S ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to sailinlee
I did a quick search and the machine sells new for less than you are asking for it? It doesn't do cross stitching either, so not good for sail work.

Lee
Old 02-01-2011, 19:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinlee View Post
I did a quick search and the machine sells new for less than you are asking for it? It doesn't do cross stitching either, so not good for sail work.
Lee
I agree. Just bought a Reliable walking foot ZIGZAG (exact same as sailrite, made in the same factory) for 399.00 (new) and added monster wheel kit from sailrite. You might want to research a wee bit more. Ebay postings are retail.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:06   #5

Thanks for your input - I will do more research. Where did you buy your Reliable zigzag?
Old 03-01-2011, 07:19   #6

I purchased the Reliable BARRACUDA 2000U-33 online from Amazon just before Christmas (deal time on stuff like this) who drop shipped it directly from the Canadian outlet. I purchased the accessories (light, thread, needles etc. and monster wheel) from Sailrite online and a neat soft-sided travel case with wheels and stowage from Sears. All in, it was less than 600US. I see now that it's back up to 499.00 online, but I'm sure shopping around will give some good results.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:24   #7

Well, Looking on the Internet, I'm not sure we are comparing apples to apples. Sailrite has a reputation for very good customer service and offer a 2 year parts and labour warranty. Here is a post from another forum...

"If you are opening a loft or canvas shop maybe you should get a commercial size machine. They cost a lot more are heavy and large. However if you are looking for a portable heavy duty walking foot machine "that works" you should not even think of buying from anyone but Sailrite. The folks at Sailrite put tons of work into the machines in Indiana USA. Whereas the clones, from other vendors, do nothing but ship the machines from the Chinese factories they are made in without doing any of the work on them that makes them function to Sailrite's specifications"

All I can say is Sailrite has a good rep. and anyone buying a sewing machine should do their homework. My machine with the options would cost $900+ from sailrite. Happy sewing!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:24   #8

So did you decide on a new asking price I am interested for canvas work.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:28   #9

Sailrite LS-1

Here is a review from Amazon on the Reliable 2000U-33 Barracuda Portable Zig-Zag Walking-Foot Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
as mentioned in the above post. I'm posting this to point out that these machines are not all created equal. Again, happy sewing!

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

5 of 5 people found the following review helpful:
3.0 out of 5 stars A few things need upgrades, March 1, 2010
By
boober&puzz (Key West) - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Reliable 2000U-33 Barracuda Portable Zig-Zag Walking-Foot Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
I'm no an expert at sewing but have had some good experiences with an older rock-solid Singer zigzag. This machine is the basic do-it-yourself entry-level zig-zag walking foot capable of handling heavier fabrics and sails. It is nearly identical to those sold under many different names. God luck deciphering which ones are made in China or Taiwan, the latter supposedly a bit better made. A fine-tuned version (at a significantly higher price) is available from Sailrite (beware some of the sleight-of-hand discounters selling that brand though Sailrite themselves are highly reputable).

I received mine a week ago and have just done a couple of practice projects with 1" webbing and 6-8 oz. duck. I'm finding that the machine gets hung up often. I initially thought it was from using the wrong sized needle or simply too much fabric. Through experimentation culminating with turning by hand with no fabric or thread, I've found that the clutch mechanism in this thing can barely overcome the mechanical resistance of the spring-loaded walking presser foot, even when not actually sewing. I followed the manual instructions and rotated the clutch washer 180º and I guess it's another one of those help suggestions designed simply to waste your time.

I've ordered the Sailrite Monster II balance wheel and, based on my initial experiences, think a modification like that is an absolute necessity. It's not a refinement or luxury but a requirement for this machine to be functional as the factory clutch is pure rubbish. Right now, I have it cranked down so tight I can't unscrew it, but it still slips constantly.

My only other complaint is minor. The foot controller is pretty flimsy but that's not a surprise. It's asinine though that the cord from the machine to the foot controller is so short it barely reaches the floor from a kindergarten-sized table. The A/C plug end is plenty long. That's just very sloppy quality control and I'm going to have to splice a longer wire, simple really, but not something most people would want to deal with.

Bottom line, if you plan to add an enhanced balance wheel with positive mechanical engagement, everything else seems reasonably functional and solid. If you think you can use this as shipped, in my opinion, not a good choice.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:39   #10

Yes, I read those as well before I purchased. However, I had both in my hands before I put out any coin. The casting numbers and marks are identical, not similar but identical. The fit and finish is the same except for the color and the cam as well as the mechanical and the electrical are identical down to the make of the controller and the motor. For all intent and purpose they are identical. There was also a test patch sitting under the foot when I opened it up, showing me that it had been tested; in contradiction to most of the negative comments. I also found as many if not more positive reviews. I might ask, if you were selling a Sailrite, wouldn't you want to make it sound better for $300 more; and if it is "better" is it $300 better? I think not, but then again others might.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:59   #11

Sailrite LS-1

Hi Seahunter, I certainly don't want to get into a slagging match with you - not my intention. I followed your advice and did a bit more research and that is what I found. Who knows...there are so many opinions on the internet and they are just opinions. As to whether a Sailrite is $300 better, I guess that question will only be answered with independant test done over a long term. From what you're saying, the machines being exactly the same, I would say, congratulations, you got a fantastic buy. Happy sewing!
Old 04-01-2011, 19:57   #12

Hi Everyone,
I was asked to look at this thread and make a comment so here I am. I am the owner of Sailrite Enterprises and also the patent holder for the Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1 sewing machine (patent claims for zigzag operation with a walking foot and the Posi-Pin clutch). You can get the patent numbers from our website at www.sailrite.com. You can also get current machine pricing and see videos of the machine(s) in operation. I also want to make mention of a video we produced for YouTube which explains many of the differences between our early models (and the current look-a-likes -- Reliable included) and our current offering which is completely redesigned with new body castings and internal parts. Here is the link:

After watching the video I am sure you will agree that there are some really big differences between a current Sailrite Ultrafeed and the look-a-like machines (Reliable, Alphasew, etc.)

But even three and four years ago (before the casting changes) there were still some very big differences. Sailrite has always taken what we refer to as a "roughly" assembled machine from Asia and fully tuned and assembled the machine in our Indiana facility. What we do, and have always done, is to follow a process (production process) to ensure the quality and performance of each machine. To my knowledge we are the only company to do this with sewing machine in the United States. The look-a-likes are just imported and sold --- sometimes they work and often they don't. Apart from this "tuning" we also reinforced components. Older Sailrite machines had weld and U-bolt reinforced components, special scarfed hooks, and several US made components like idler pulleys. There have been yearly improvements to the machine with each and every container load of units that Sailrite has built over the years. But the biggest changes have come in the last two years with an all new casting and new internal parts. Gone are the welds and need to reinforce parts in our facility.

Sailrite's justification for the investment was to leave the competitors in the dust and to reduce our labor hours in Indiana so that we could increase production. We also switch from our old supplier (the one leaking units out the back door to Reliable) and made a strong partnership with a new reputable parts manufacturer who understands the importance of trust, intellectual property rights, business longevity and quality control. This move has definitely paid off and I can truly say that there is no substitute to an Ultrafeed portable sewing machine.

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Old 05-01-2011, 11:20   #13

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
X2 what Matt said.

Hundreds of hours on my sailrite machine. never a missed stitch!

Support from sailrite is top notch. To me, this is more important than saving a few bucks.

Buy it once. Buy it right!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:27   #14

You can buy a Chevy pick-up or a GMC pick-up; Its all in the advertising.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:18   #15

Matt, welcome aboard. I know you are here for a purpose but seeing your name and face makes me smile. I have spent many hours working with Sailrite products including an older LSZ and love them all. Now, about those RiRi Zippers . . .