Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2015, 14:54   #1

Sailrite sewing machine wanted

I am looking for a used machine to make cushion covers for my boat.
Old 15-01-2015, 05:48   #2

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
Re: Sailrite sewing machine wanted

they come up on eBay regularly, but hold their value pretty well. You might try craigslist, but shipping is problematic. I am generally a pretty tight bargain shopper and decided to buy new, as the used prices were not much better. You can always sell it after to recoup your costs, but I found I like it so much, I don't want to part with mine.
Old 15-01-2015, 06:11   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
they come up on eBay regularly, but hold their value pretty well. You might try craigslist, but shipping is problematic. I am generally a pretty tight bargain shopper and decided to buy new, as the used prices were not much better. You can always sell it after to recoup your costs, but I found I like it so much, I don't want to part with mine.
Same experience here. There are no bargains when it comes to Sailrite machines. Better to buy new than to save $75 on eBay and get an unknown quantity. One repair and your savings go out the window.

Be prepared. These things are beasts. If all you're sewing is cockpit cushions, you could probably get by with a heavy duty Singer. More than power, except if you're sewing sails or items with lots of layers, the issue is whether a given machine will accept the thicker thread that you usually use on boat goods.
Old 15-01-2015, 06:49   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

I bought a sail rite for the support they provide videos books supplies. I did this because I new nothing about sewing machines and after making many dodger repairs and sail covers I still don't know much. But if you know how to sew others have said any heavy duty machine will do and can be found much cheaper. Check repair shops and second hand shops. I still would buy the sailrite, but not used. Not enough of a price difference for me to take a chance on the used machine working correctly and not knowing what the problem was.
Old 15-01-2015, 08:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411
I bought a sail rite for the support they provide videos books supplies. I did this because I new nothing about sewing machines and after making many dodger repairs and sail covers I still don't know much. But if you know how to sew others have said any heavy duty machine will do and can be found much cheaper. Check repair shops and second hand shops. I still would buy the sailrite, but not used. Not enough of a price difference for me to take a chance on the used machine working correctly and not knowing what the problem was.
I agree with above sentiments. Sailrite not only provide tons of instructional videos and resources, they also deliver great customer support and service.

If one purchased new and decided to sell, one would can be confident that their return on their investment is sound.
Old 15-01-2015, 16:04   #6
av8

I bought a used Sailrite machine from a Craigslist ad. It came with most of the optional guides and attachments needed for most boat covers, cushions and tops. We had problems with it until I opened it up and found the past owner had spooled yards of thread on the motor pulley some way which threw the machine timing out of whack. I spent an hour cleaning and cutting thread, but when we tried sewing again, it sewed like it should. I learned more about the machine by having to work on it than if I had bought a new machine that worked perfectly out of the box.

I considered buying a HD industrial sewing machine but bought the Sailrite for their service and convenience and we are happy with our purchase.

Best of luck,

Phil
Old 15-01-2015, 21:57   #7

Boat: Cascade 36

You might also consider a Janome HD1000. I bought one a month or so ago to do my cushion covers and so far its been great. I've done 4 covers for the Saloon and once I got the correct thread size going it worked like a champ.

I plan to use it for everything that it can possibly do. For testing purposes I ran 8 layers of the Sunbrella Dupione fabric that I'm using through it and it worked. Not saying it would be amazing to do lots of that kind of of load, but it is doable.

These can be had online for under $300 from Amazon. I bought mine locally for $330 cash but I also will get 5 years of maintenance and service from the local guy.
Old 15-01-2015, 22:10   #8

Tip : if you apply for an Amazon Visa, you can get $70 off right away.

Tags
sail, sailrite, sewing machine, wanted