Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 16:33   #1

Series drogue, stove, line cutter, ssb and pactor

We're in Canada. We're searching for a Jordan series drogue (about 130 cones), a gimballed alcohol stove, shaft mounted line cutter, and an ssb and pactor modem. We're outfitting a boat for a long distance family cruise!! Thanks everyone!
Old 09-03-2016, 16:37   #2

Re: Series drogue, stove, line cutter, ssb and pactor

Sorry, I should clarify. I'm just looking for a counter top or wall mounted stove not the whole oven insert...
Thanks
Old 10-03-2016, 06:05   #3
CPO

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 35

I have an Icom M700, mic, tuner and manuals available. $300 plus shipping.
Old 10-03-2016, 18:50   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

Here there's a Stevens Engineering Associates (SEA) 322 ssb with a 1615 tuner that I'd like to sell. It's a compact commercial quality radio with a control head that puts out 172 watts. Service and parts are available at SEA Marine Communications International - American Technology that talks to the World $600US firm plus shipping from Savannah GA..
Old 10-03-2016, 20:01   #5
Marine Service Provider

I am wondering why you prefer an alcohol stove rather than propane for a long range cruiser.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:29   #6

Hi Paul, I just don't want any propane below decks. Thanks everyone for the responses &PM's ( especially regarding radios)! I'm doing my research on the options and will get back to you ASAP!!
Old 11-03-2016, 06:03   #7
Marine Service Provider

Propane versus alcohol--it could turn into a contentious online debate as if we were speaking of anchors! But...here is the basic problem with alcohol. When you cook with it, because it burns at a lower temperature than propane, you must keep the stove going much longer. Try boiling a gallon of water on one versus the other. This means having flames present for a much longer period. Fear of explosion? Not if proper precautions are taking. As for suppression..there are differences as well. This debate has gone on here and on other forums, but if you are looking at long distance, bluewater cruising and considering safety gear, I would give propane another chance. Alcohol will sit in thin and not very secure metal cans. Propane rests in very strong tanks. I had alcohol fires twice on boats and never with propane and know of two incidents where alcohol wrecked boats. I just think it's worth reconsidering.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:10   #8

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Sounds like you want to do some extended cruising. You may find it hard to get alcohol fuel in some remote areas. Propane is available because locals cook with it. Make provision to carry lots of alcohol.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:25   #9

Boat: Freedom 40

If you want to avoid propane but not deal with the lower heat output of alcohol, consider kerosene. I have a used Taylor's 030L 2 burner plus oven. Gimbled, spare parts, pressure tank. There is an old ad on this site still, else pm me.

F40 CC Ketch

Tags
cutter, drogue, pactor, ssb