Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2010, 13:00   #1

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Sewing Machine ( Singer )

Maybe a Christmas gift or just an addition to your boat...
As we travel, we Buy, sell, referbish, and restore Singer Featherweight
Sewing Machines.. This one came to us from an Estate Sale and surprising, in great condition, except it had not been serviced in a few years..
The Box is a rare find as it has the tray for the top and not just the shelf.. and its origional.. The Case itself is in Really Good Condition, the latches work good and it includes the origional keys to lock it..
The foot pedel and cord are in great condition and again, all origional and includes extra attachments and a manual.
The Featherweight 221 was built from the 20s to the mid 50s as a portable Sewing Machine and designed to sew the materials of the time as Denim of jeans, overalls, and work clothing... In todays market, the 221 is sought after by Quilters, as it is one of the very few portable machines avalable to sew heavy fabric.
My wife uses her 221 for making the Canvas Bags from Sunbrella that we sell in our travels.
Even thou they have been known to be used for sail repair, it is a small machine..
This machine Number AH974030 was built in 1948, is built of all steel including gears, and even thou its an older machine, bobbins,needles, belts and other replacement parts are easy to get.
This 221 is in exceptional condition and a rare find, and would be a great addition for any cruiser..
We're selling this machine for $325.00 and I'll pay the shipping..

We have 3 other Featherweight machines we're getting ready to go on the market but this machine is a rare find due to its age and condition.
Featherweight Machines are avalable on E-bay, and the price we're asking for this machine in the condition its in, follows the same Priceline.
Give us a call if you're interested or keep us in mind for your future sewing needs...
Randy & Ramona Garrett
209-327-9870
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0323.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	21441  
Old 05-12-2010, 09:42   #2

Boat: sceptre 41
are you able to ship to canada??
Old 06-12-2010, 07:49   #3

Shipping to Canada is not a problem............
Old 06-12-2010, 07:58   #4

I'm afraid to ask what shipping to Turkey would cost ... never mind to imagine what customs would do.

Thank you so much for putting these wonderful machines back into service.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegean adrift View Post
I'm afraid to ask what shipping to Turkey would cost ... never mind to imagine what customs would do.

Thank you so much for putting these wonderful machines back into service.
We have bought and shipped around the world, and cant say Turkey is on the list..
Mexico and central america is amoung places we dont ship BUT we've found way to get items to that area, we can uasally find a boat going in that direction and we just ask them to add a hitch-hiker..
Old 06-12-2010, 08:12   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
My mother still has the Singer Featherweight she bought new in the fifties and my wife just bought a used one. Great machines, solid and will run forever.

Only complaints, that they are just a little small and sewing large items like a sail is a bit awkward. Also I don't think they can do a zig-zag or similar stitch for sail repairs. Would be interested to know if that is possible or if there is an attachment to do it.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Also I don't think they can do a zig-zag or similar stitch for sail repairs. Would be interested to know if that is possible or if there is an attachment to do it.
No, they dont do Zig-Zag but there is another machine that does and is similar to the 221...
Its a PFAFF 130, and it does a zig-zag stitch up to about 1/4 of an inch wide.. Built in Germany and is all steel.. I'm restoring one at present and will avalable for sale soon..
If interested, drop me a line.........
Old 06-12-2010, 09:47   #8

Thank you, Randy!

Oooh .... the Pfaff 130 has me tempted to paraphrase Jimmy Carter, about looking on machines with lust. Where's the fanning-self emoticon?
Old 08-12-2010, 15:40   #9

Boat: not much yet
Are any of you any good at identifying machines?
I have several older metal geared machines.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahnlaashock View Post
Are any of you any good at identifying machines?
I have several older metal geared machines.
There were hundreds of different machines built, singer being one that built many different models, It was a "FIX IT" or "MAKE IT" soceity back then and sewing machines were as common a household item as a car is now.. everyone had one.
We Buy, Sell, Restore, Service, and Sell old Sewing Machines, including the old "treddle" machines and have found the best way to identify old machines is the internet and mostly on E-Bay..
If you can post a few different shots, I'll do my best to help..
Old 11-12-2010, 03:20   #11

Boat: Ganley Shadow 34 -Steel sloop for bluewater cruising.
I'd planned to take our Singer treadle industrial machine on to our boat but now we have the boat and my layout plan I realise I am going to struggle to get it in. Sew (so) I am now looking into what's available that is more portable but still heavy duty and will do zig zag. Do you have something that fits the bill?
Old 12-12-2010, 08:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana_ct View Post
I'd planned to take our Singer treadle industrial machine on to our boat but now we have the boat and my layout plan I realise I am going to struggle to get it in. Sew (so) I am now looking into what's available that is more portable but still heavy duty and will do zig zag. Do you have something that fits the bill?
If you're happy with the way your treadle works, Many sewing machine shops can turn yours into a protable by adding a motor. I've done this to a few singers, but that dosent help with the zig-zag as many of the early singers didnt have that feature,
In the new department, the Sailrite is about the best "all-round" option but I've always felt its kinda crude in design and is like driving a tack with a slege hammer, they also use a "rotery-hook" in the bobbin, something I dont quite like..
In the Used department, we rebuild and sell a few of the Pfaff 130s and I've got one on the table right now for another person on the forum.
If there's something You might be interested in, let me know and I'll keep my eyes open for one..

By the way, simple repairs, and those of canvas work can be done with a straight stitch.. the only reason to use a zig-zag stitch is to spread the load of the stitch over a wider area on a sail where it is loaded..
Old 12-12-2010, 08:26   #13

Boat: Ganley Shadow 34 -Steel sloop for bluewater cruising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
If you're happy with the way your treadle works, Many sewing machine shops can turn yours into a protable by adding a motor.
Ah, maybe I am using the wrong terminology. It already has a motor, built under the table, plus a treadle for speed and a knee control.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana_ct View Post
Ah, maybe I am using the wrong terminology. It already has a motor, built under the table, plus a treadle for speed and a knee control.
your's has had a cluch motor added, probably for industrial use..
one way to change it is to add a smaller motor to the back side of the machine, and adjust the pully size for added power.. then go with a foot control for the motor.. the complete change-over can cost less than $100.00 dollars
Old 20-12-2010, 20:21   #15

This 221 featherweight has been sold.....BUT, we have a couple more we are rebuilding at present.... If you find you want a 221, Do give us a shout...