Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 03:12   #1

Sextant - 1938 Henry Hughes & Son

Hello all, I'm in the process of cleaning out my grandparents house since they have passed away. My grandfather was a sailor, and I came across this in the attic. Looks to be in pretty good condition. I have done some googling but haven't come up with much so I figured I'd ask some people far more knowledgable than myself. Im not particularly trying to sell it, but I am curious of it's value. Thank you for any help !!!

http://s930.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=233d5b92.jpg
Old 10-03-2011, 04:17   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40
Re: 1938 Henry Hughes & son sextant

My condolences on the loss of your grandparents. The sextant, with it's original paperwork, looks awesome. I have no idea of it's monetary value, but it would make a valuable, treasurable memento for anyone who was close to him in his sailing life.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:30   #3

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Sextant - 1938 Henry Hughes & Son

If there is a "story" here (like was it used in the military? Saw action at Dunkirk?), I would write it down, because I suspect that this sextant as an "antique" is going to command a higher price than as a working instrument. The odds of this sextant having retained its rated accuracy is low, but can be checked by the sort of company that repairs sextants (yes, they still exist). The same company can likely give you a price range.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:54   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Sorry about your Grandfather.
I inherited my Dad's sextant, a 1938 Heath and Sons, but also has the HUSAN label on the certificate. The mirrors was re-silvered about 10 yrs ago, and it was valued for insurance at about GBP 700, so if yours is in good condition, could be looking at about $1000
Old 10-03-2011, 11:26   #5

Well I guess il make a long story short. Grandad was a sailor with the navy for a long long time then spent his life after the military working cargo ships and other things of the sort. In his later years he bankrupted the family with half cocked business ventures, loans and waste. He also became a hoarder of ANYTHING. My grandmother was miserable for a loooong time but stuck through it for 57 years of marriage.

I'm now cleaning out a 5 bedroom two story house stacked to the ceiling in every room with worthless nonsense. So anything of value is a plus. I don't mean any disrespect to my grandfathers memory or to the things he found important enough to keep, it's just I'm married 25 years old and left with the daunting task of cleaning and selling an estate.

If I wanted to sell this thing what would be a good option, I have no desire to restore it and would let it go as is to fund my cleanup and sanity.

Sorry to dump this in a forum as an unknown new guy, just don't have any other options. Thanks again guys.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:37   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

No need to apologize. This is a good place to be asking I'm sure.

There is quite a range in values of antique sextants. If you search ebay you will find a lot of them for sale. Henry Hughes could fetch you several hundred dollars easily. If there are maritime antique dealers in your area you might be able to get an appraisal.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:25   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

If you google Henry Hughes Husun Sextant, you'll get a fair few hits, be worth a couple of phone calls. Husun is the name that Henry Hughes and Sons traded under. Later the company was taken over and is now what is known as Kelvin Hughes
Old 10-03-2011, 12:33   #8

Jerredccds sorry to hear about your Grandfather! was wondering where are you located? i have my Dad's sextant from when he was with Dutch Merchant Marine. i was going to use his, but arc silver has been dmgd from use(him forgetting to release the lock when moving for next sight) and can't find a place to replace it. i am interested in your Grandfathers if you got a fair price in mind. i don't know what it's worth!
Old 10-03-2011, 17:47   #9

I live right outside of New Orleans, Louisiana. I'm going to look around for a place to take it and have it appraised. Like i said before if I do let it go it will be to someone who will enjoy and appreciate it and it will be for a fair price and lower than the appraisal. There is so much in this house I have to decide what to do with that this item is really just a small small part of a much bigger picture. I appreciate all the input guys and I will definitely keep in touch and update once i have a better idea what I'm working with. It will be a few days at least before i get back over to their house, but when i do i will take some more pictures with more details. please bare with me, I will be back on this as soon as possible.
Old 12-03-2011, 13:38   #10

Boat: Professionaly build 44 LOD steel round bilge Centre Cockpit Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeredccds View Post
Hello all, I'm in the process of cleaning out my grandparents house since they have passed away. My grandfather was a sailor, and I came across this in the attic. Looks to be in pretty good condition. I have done some googling but haven't come up with much so I figured I'd ask some people far more knowledgable than myself. Im not particularly trying to sell it, but I am curious of it's value. Thank you for any help !!!

233d5b92.jpg picture by beerwolfccds - Photobucket
Have one myself in very nice condition. Bought for about 400$ some 15 years ago no box includet. Spent another 250 having a nice Box build by a Furniture Carpenter Friend.

My Guess the whole deal would sell for about 400 today if you find a serius Buyer. Ebay is probably the best place to sell quickly.
Good Luck
Old 13-03-2011, 08:53   #11
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40

I have shown this thread to my husband, and he's most certainly interested. We have been looking (casually) for years....

Once you have established a price, can you let me know? We'd want it posting to my sister-in-laws in Chesapeake...
Old 25-03-2011, 11:48   #12

Just a heads up to anyone interested, there are offers out on this from a few forums. Best offer so far $250 plus shipping, I'm letting it go for whatever the best offer is in the quickest time. I have so much to do with this house that I just have to mave this thing. Thanks again guys!!!

Tags
Hughes