Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 06:35   #31

Boat: Rhodes 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notpopeye
Thanks, I have the Bluewaterboats.org bookmarked and check it all the time. Very thorough reviews of many good quality boats. Before I found this site, I never heard of most of these boats. Great Site.

As for the Nor'Sea 27, there is a girl who did some single handed sailing around the Bahamas and maybe Caribbean in a Nor'Sea 27 named Daphne. She now has her boat for sale (or it was and already sold). She posted several YouTube videos of her exploits. Most pretty interesting.

After reading 30-40 books, tons of articles, researching and looking at several boats, I have decided that an Island Packet 27, 29 or 31 would suit me perfectly. I like the cabin layout, I like the seaworthiness of the boat and some can be found at reasonable prices.

As many things I have read have stated, the search is almost as good as sailing the boat you find. It isn't over, but I figure the end Has to be closer than the beginning.
That would really please Will who started BWB. He has written most the reviews there and does incredible research. He also makes pretty nice line drawings. I tried contributing a few, but boat reviews are a lot of work; I've fallen off my horse a bit.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:49   #32

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: Small Bluewater Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notpopeye View Post
As for the Nor'Sea 27, there is a girl who did some single handed sailing around the Bahamas and maybe Caribbean in a Nor'Sea 27 named Daphne. She now has her boat for sale (or it was and already sold). She posted several YouTube videos of her exploits. Most pretty interesting.

Yep, that would be Teresa. I follow her blog too. She did sell Daphne back around October. I've been looking at Cape Dory's and Bristol's lately. 5 weeks or so, I'll be taking time off from work and going on a road trip to look at boats and hope to find my first one.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:26   #33
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
Cons include a shallow bilge (That standing headroom has to come from somewhere), many had leaky keel bolts and the salon windows are prone to leaking as one of the side stays is attached just above them.
+1 on the Centaur - they sail a lot better than they look! (I actually quite like the look) and are very decent seaboats .

In regard to the leaky windows, my understanding (which may be wrong) is that was fixed in later builds from moving the stay / window a tad and possibly a bit of beefing up.

In regard to the Bilge Keels, over here a couple did have them fall off!........actually more about being punched up through the hull!....but that due to them being on tidal (drying) moorings in places that could be fairly exposed to the weather. Incoming / outcoming tide lifts the boat - tide retreats.....boat comes back down to solid seabed

......but that not a problem specific to only Centaurs, just thought I would mention it for those unfamiliar with a B/k boat and who assume that being able to dry out (mooring or anchor) means that doing so is always bullet proof.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:28   #34

I have a Cape Dory 27' for sale. It is a 1979 and is not a project boat. It has an upgraded 2cyc fresh water cooled 18hp Yanmar. It comes cruise equipped and ready to go. Mid-to high 20's. Either private message me if you are interested or let me know and I can send you spec sheets and pics.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:38   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard1_us View Post
I have a Cape Dory 27' for sale. It is a 1979 and is not a project boat. It has an upgraded 2cyc fresh water cooled 18hp Yanmar. It comes cruise equipped and ready to go. Mid-to high 20's. Either private message me if you are interested or let me know and I can send you spec sheets and pics.
There's a couple CD27s I'm looking at visiting when I get back to the US (4 more weeks). Any info would be helpful. Price/Location?

I'm looking for something that either already has a trailer or one where a trailer can be found for it and taking to Tennessee with me. Then, I can upgrade to something larger whenever I move closer to a coast.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:31   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_78 View Post
There's a couple CD27s I'm looking at visiting when I get back to the US (4 more weeks). Any info would be helpful. Price/Location?

I'm looking for something that either already has a trailer or one where a trailer can be found for it and taking to Tennessee with me. Then, I can upgrade to something larger whenever I move closer to a coast.
Look here CDSOA, Inc. -- CD27 for a great review of the Cape Dory 27, including specifications, links to brochures, articles and a nice long article about the refitting of a CD27, the S/V London.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:41   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notpopeye View Post
Look here CDSOA, Inc. -- CD27 for a great review of the Cape Dory 27, including specifications, links to brochures, articles and a nice long article about the refitting of a CD27, the S/V London.
I think I saw London for sale a few months ago. I haven't seen the listing for a while so it might have sold. I've poked around the Cape Dory Owners site. Lots of good info.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:59   #38

Boat: mt34dt

Clean CD 27 for well under your budget..
1977 Cape Dory 27 sailboat for sale in Maryland
Old 11-02-2012, 13:51   #39

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

I agree with you on the IP. Great boat from everything I have seen of them. When I was looking from my 28'-32' boat I found that the FL area had lots various boats of interest. But I also noticed while there were some deals, there were not as many as to be found in the Chesapeake Bay area. If that isn't to far for ya to go...I would suggest looking in the Ches Bay area, there are many boats to choose from. Also, as the water in the bay is brackish, you will find that the boats stay in better condition. Here are some of the ones I keep in my bookmark bar...just in case I find something of interest.

http://www.nortonyachts.com
| Chesapeake Bay Island Packet Dealer and service Rock Hall Maryland | Sailboat Charter and Charter Management | Gratitude Yachting Center
Annapolis Yacht Sales - New and Brokerage, sailboats, powerboats, Annapolis and Deltaville :: Home
Old 12-02-2012, 00:26   #40

For the original poster, The PC Flicka might not be too bad either.

They seem to have a good Owners Group as well.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:44   #41

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Crabsailing.org also had a Bristol 24. I checked it out. Very well founded. The guy who's letting the organization use his dock is a douche but the boat is nice and the money goes to a good cause.
Old 16-05-2012, 10:09   #42

I have a westerly centaur for sale on the west coast of Florida, email me if interested:

marcolivier555@hotmail.com

Tags
cruiser