Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 08:04   #1

Small Bluewater Cruiser

Hello, I am looking for a small bluewater capable cruising sailboat. Ideally, I would like a Dana 24, Morris 28 or something similar. Because transport from the west coast means either HUGE overland transport cost or sailing a a great distance and through the Panama Canal, it is preferably located in the southeast U.S. I am on the Gulf Coast.
Maximum Budget is $40,000.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:25   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Agulhas 45
Re: Small Bluewater Cruiser

C.R.A.B, a chesapeake charity, have just had a PS 27 Orion donated to them. It is a decent boat and would seem to fit your parameters.
Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating
Old 05-02-2012, 08:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Small Bluewater Cruiser

Someone's buying up all the nice long keelers at cheap prices...
Just looked for a couple to post here that I'd seen a coupla weeks back and they're gone... a nice Bristol 29 for $7.5k and a sweet Cheoy Lee Luders for the same.. teak looked okay as well... same price

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 05-02-2012, 08:44   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

My usual advice is not to lock in on a particular boat but to go to the market with an open mind based on your budget. For example, you can find some nice older fiberglass production sailboats up to 35 feet or so in that price range that maybe don't have the cachet of a Dana or Morris but are still quite capable. Those few feet extra of waterline can make a big difference in load carrying capability, comfort, and speed if you are going to be doing real bluewater runs.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:52   #5

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Keep an eye on eBay. There are tons of Bristols out there which are great boats. I'd Los look at Contessa, Tartan, Pearson, Columbia and Cape Dory with your budget. What are your goals with this boat? Does draft need to be under 4'? SC
Old 05-02-2012, 08:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
My usual advice is not to lock in on a particular boat but to go to the market with an open mind based on your budget. For example, you can find some nice older fiberglass production sailboats up to 35 feet or so in that price range that maybe don't have the cachet of a Dana or Morris but are still quite capable. Those few feet extra of waterline can make a big difference in load carrying capability, comfort, and speed if you are going to be doing real bluewater runs.
While this is all true, my restriction to a smaller boat is based on maintenance cost, repair and replacement costs. The difference in just a set of sails for a 28 footer as opposed to a 32 footer is huge.
As for an older boat, I have looked at several boats made in the late 70's, and 80's but my concern with them is mostly based on potential fiberglas problems from core rot to delamination. I am not a fiberglas guy and boatyards charge upwards of $120 an hour.
I sincerely thank all of you have responded with possible solutions for me. It is really appreciated.

And maybe I should list my intentions for this new dreamboat. I have recently sold my business and now want to move to the Caribbean, I plan on living on my boat and sail around the Caribbean and Bahamas with plans to cross the Pacific to the beautiful islands. And yes, I have been to many Caribbean Islands many times and have been to Micronesia only once but I have seen enough to know the South Pacific is better than the Caribbean.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58   #7

Boat: O'Day 28

Prices of really great older boats, all bigger than my 25er, for sale at a fraction of their value are driving me crazy.

Can you say upgrade?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notpopeye View Post
While this is all true, my restriction to a smaller boat is based on maintenance cost, repair and replacement costs. The difference in just a set of sails for a 28 footer as opposed to a 32 footer is huge.
As for an older boat, I have looked at several boats made in the late 70's, and 80's but my concern with them is mostly based on potential fiberglas problems from core rot to delamination. I am not a fiberglas guy and boatyards charge upwards of $120 an hour.
I sincerely thank all of you have responded with possible solutions for me. It is really appreciated.
Stick to your plan, you've got it figured out! Not everyone is looking for a project! Think about waterline. Some 30 footers have a 23 waterline and some 25's have a 23 waterline!

Old 06-02-2012, 14:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonEdwards View Post
C.R.A.B, a chesapeake charity, have just had a PS 27 Orion donated to them. It is a decent boat and would seem to fit your parameters.
Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating
Are you sure of this? The list of used boats for sale does not include the Orion and I wrote to the head honcho asking about it and never received a reply.
I definitely think a PS Orion 27 is a good boat. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-02-2012, 15:12   #10

Boat: private yacht always moving

look here DO NOT WAIT to long

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...mas-75213.html
Old 06-02-2012, 15:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
saw your post. Like everyone else, I am interested in the Alberg. But, I am not in a position to take on a project boat. For $5K, I figured the boat would be gone by now, anyway.
Thanks for the referral.
Old 06-02-2012, 15:58   #12

Boat: private yacht always moving

I have several photos, boat looks to be in good condition, i am waiting for the report on the engine
Old 06-02-2012, 16:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
I have several photos, boat looks to be in good condition, i am waiting for the report on the engine
I am driving to Texas tomorrow to look at a Com-Pac 27, Westerly Konsort 29, PS Miriah 31 and whatever else the brokers have to show me.
And yes, the Com-Pac may not exactly be what I want but I am going to look at her anyway.
Next week, I have plans to look at another Com-Pac 27 in Florida, a Dana 24 in Fl and some older boats, Endeaver 32, Cal 33, and Irwin 33.
My problem is I feel in love with the PS Dana 24 but the price was pretty high for a tiny boat.
However, the whole experience changed my opinion of smaller boats and since then, I am concentrating on small boats only.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:20   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
I appreciate your concerns (I ain't ever paying anyone $120 an hour to work on my boat!) - the way around core rot is not to have a core .....and in regard to delamination, with something built even half decently will only be a problem for things like bulkheads (if a problem at all) - and depending on design not a big problem to fix (and well within DIY abilities), even if a PITA to do.....but once done will see you (and me!) out .

The good news with an older boat (especially something with a bit of a name / following) is that whatever you need / want to do someone else is likely to have done it already. and paid for a chunk of your learning curve .

Although I am in the "Big boat club" (well, 30' is big to me ) not saying that smaller is not a viable option - just that I don't think that going up a few feet has to raise the ongoing costs enourmously, IMO that more to do with boat design and starting condition (and number of gizmos / systems onboard).

But each of us gets to make own decisions - and then live with the outcome, and in my book that's a good thing .
Old 07-02-2012, 03:55   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Small Bluewater Cruiser

Quote:
I am driving to Texas tomorrow to look at a Com-Pac 27, Westerly Konsort 29, PS Miriah 31 and whatever else the brokers have to show me.
And yes, the Com-Pac may not exactly be what I want but I am going to look at her anyway.
Next week, I have plans to look at another Com-Pac 27 in Florida, a Dana 24 in Fl and some older boats, Endeaver 32, Cal 33, and Irwin 33.
My problem is I feel in love with the PS Dana 24 but the price was pretty high for a tiny boat.
However, the whole experience changed my opinion of smaller boats and since then, I am concentrating on small boats only.
Well you've at least one solid boat there with good sailing qualities...
The Westerly Konsort... good solid hulls... not the prettiest boat but functional and will take you where you want to go...
Westerlies have a following over here similar to the W32 passion... I've owned 2 over the years and loved both of them... mine were Laurient Giles hull designs...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..

Tags
cruiser