Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2012, 11:56   #1

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee
solar system for sailboats

Hi all, I am currently in the process of building a solar system. I have found sooo many places to buy the cells, charge controllers(MPPT) and all necessary components VERY cheap as compared to buying them online or wherever. I want to know if anyone would be interested in a system that consists of: Solar panel-2 72 watt panels, MPPT controller-45amp, and an RTS cable. I can custom build the solar frame to meet your mounting requirements with a minimal difference in price.
The prices I had found for this equipment were as follows: solar panel, 1-85 watt-$179, MPPT controller, 45 amp-$399, RTS cable-$34.
If I can get these products out with 140watts of solar panel with an MPPT controller in the 40 amp range-good for as many panels as you'll ever fit on a sailboat, and the cables for around $475 would any of you guys be interested. This is NOT my business, I'm just trying to send along some good fortune I have come across. How long I can do this for...I do not know.
I will have the first panel in 2-3 weeks as soon as it arrives I will post and send photos to those interested.
Have a great day all, and God Bless...please email me at: all_as@hotmail.com
Old 27-06-2012, 12:57   #2

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer
Re: solar system for sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlee View Post
Hi all, I am currently in the process of building a solar system.
Dang, you are ambitious.
Old 27-06-2012, 18:05   #3

I'm glad you think so...I just know what I want to do, and I think I can help you guys out at the same time. Hey, I have gotten alot of help here from you all. Thanx...
Old 27-06-2012, 18:21   #4

Boat: Trapper 300

RV, Van, Marine Kit With 140 Watts of DC Power..... how's this?
Old 27-06-2012, 18:47   #5

Boat: Westerly Centaur

I think, like me, Scott was expecting a mention of telescopes and a big bang, going on the thread title.
Old 27-06-2012, 19:14   #6

Boat: Trapper 300

You're right!
Old 28-06-2012, 13:00   #7

Hi Heron, It's ok, here's the differences. Your kit has no mention of cells used(polycrystaline). I use monocrystaline, The other panel has a 10A controller, I use a 30AMPPT controller allowing the use of 3-4 more panels and a wind generator. I also include an RTS cable needed on a sailboat where the temp dif. can reach 10 degrees Far. I have done my homework here and i want a system for my boat that is totally functional for my needs, as well as being adaptable for the future expansion of my energy needs. I want 4 Batteries and a starting battery. Who knows, one day total electric!!! I am working on being able to do this system for around $600. I am also able to fabricate the panels for ease of installation that is also eye-appealing.
Thanks for the reply, I love the input, it helps me alot.
Have a great day.
Willie
Old 21-07-2012, 14:50   #8

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Hi Heron, It's ok, here's the differences. Your kit has no mention of cells used(polycrystaline). I use monocrystaline, The other panel has a 10A controller, I use a 30AMPPT controller allowing the use of 3-4 more panels and a wind generator. I also include an RTS cable needed on a sailboat where the temp dif. can reach 10 degrees Far. I have done my homework here and i want a system for my boat that is totally functional for my needs, as well as being adaptable for the future expansion of my energy needs. I want 4 Batteries and a starting battery. Who knows, one day total electric!!! I am working on being able to do this system for around $600. I am also able to fabricate the panels for ease of installation that is also eye-appealing.
Have a great day.
Willie
Old post but I'll give it a try--

Two questions or even three maybe. You favor mono panels over poly, are you fighting a space problem? I thought the poly panel offered many amenities
not offered in the mono other than they are larger (+10%??).

Question 2, you are using a 30ammpt controller. Is this the model currently filling the searches on Ebay? What do you have and how do you like it?

Question 3 is more of a statement rather than a question. I have looked at assembling a panel. Just purchased two 140 watt panels from Amazon for $320 delivered. Do you recommend assembling a bunch of xtals?

Foggy
Old 21-07-2012, 16:55   #9

Hi there, glad to hear from you. To answer your questions, The mono panels are 15%-20% more efficient than the poly panels PERIOD. The mono panels will take over the market in a short while because of this. And, on a sailboat isn't space an issue unless, of course, you have a large boat...The same wattage in a smaller space.
As for MPPT 30, I like to calculate the MPPT for the needs at hand, then go one higher. You can use a larger Amp MPPT, but you cannot use a smaller MPPT. If you want to upgrade later, it's not a problem with a bigger MPPT. OR for the guys with a smaller boat who move on to a larger boat and want to take their energy producing components with them. An upgrade would seem immenent. I can send you info or whatever you like. Do you have a wind gen. yet? There is some really cool stuff out there now, and not overly expensive.
To sum this up for you, you need to think about your individual needs, not only for now, but for the future. I have very good resources. If you need anything, please feel free to contact me at all_as@hotmail
I hope I have given you some input here. You guys here have helped me out enormously, I can now reciprocate! I am going to offer cheap solar systems here in a few weeks, only for this website.
Have a great weekend and God Bless!
Willie
PS To all who read this, THANKS!!!
Old 21-07-2012, 17:12   #10

Foggysail, Sorry, but about the xtals issue. Did you do your homework here? I am assembling solar panels now for ME. It takes alot of time. If you buy cells, buy them tabbed, not untabbed where you have to solder the tabbing wires on yourself. I learned this the hard way. Untabbed are cheap, but time is money also. Not for nothing, if you have way too much free time, hey, make panels. If not, email me. I'll help you!
Willie
Old 21-07-2012, 17:36   #11

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

Quote:
Have a great day.
Willie
Did you look at the link Heron put in his reply? The add says Kyocera panel, considered by most in the know, as among the best out there. Also, most if not all of the manufactures have gone to multicrystalline cells. It is also sold by a leading supplier of solar equipment. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but Herons link sounds pretty good price wise to your as yet unnamed panels, charger and cables. I might add, you need to check your specs, you say a 40A controller is good for as many panels as you'll ever add to a sailboat. I have a friend with 1080W of panels on a sailboat, another friend putting 800W on his sailboat. I have 400W on mine in 2 panels, and my 40A controller is OK, any larger array and I'd go to 60A controller.
Old 21-07-2012, 17:47   #12

Hi, yes I know you guys like your name brands, but I am buying from the companies in China that make all the solar products. They sell it to Kyocera! So, be skeptical, its an especially good thing nowadays, but a monocrystaline cell is a monocrystaline cell. Do you know the difference between a mono cell, and a poly cell, an amorphous cell? Please do not be so quick to think bad. I am not here to get rich quick, I have Ebay and Marcado Libre for that. I just have done all my homework here and spent my fishing and relax time online with these bad English speaking people.
Thanks for the input....have a great weekend!
God Bless.
Willie
Old 21-07-2012, 18:07   #13

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

Most of us sailors have done our homework to Willie...
Old 21-07-2012, 20:09   #14

TO BOB. SO WHAT'S THE PROBLEM??? CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG? First off, I NEVER said a 40A controller is good for as many panels as you'll ever need! That's pretty silly math.AND, you talk about a multicrystal celled panel. Can you tell me the difference between them? I am not going to get into this... I hope you are very happy with your toys...I have better things to do.
To all you guys who have helped me in the past, THANK YOU. And for the serious minded individuals, you can email me and I will do whatever I can to help you with whatever I possibly can.
Good night all, and God Bless
Willie
PS,OH by the way, I just read my first thread here, Boy, I have found deals since then...Please forget those prices... Nyt all...

Tags
solar