Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2013, 17:28   #16

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: SSB system wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierahotel View Post
Pactor seems obsolete as loran.

Sail mail has a policy against sending business related emails, so the idea of using the pactor to run a business is flawed from the getgo.
Pactor on SSB is for when you are off shore. No WiFi out there. The only other option is satellite. If you have to run a business during offshore passages then maybe it's time to rethink the whole cruising thing.

Once you are in port then WiFi is definitely the way to go.
Old 13-02-2013, 22:23   #17

Thanks for the suggestions SieraHotel. I will try our local Ham network. I understand the business/Sailmail thing. Wife has a very small (Jumprope) business and would only need to send a couple e-mails here and there. I believe we'd be relying on Wifi a lot but would like to give her piece of mind while out of Wifi connection. Dockhead talked about a Mexico phone plan (which worked pretty good last time) but since we are heading further south that would only work for the first few months. I also like the weather updates people were getting. Basically we are going to go this route and wanted to check used because from what I've seen in the past you can get it all for half off of retail. Thanks again to everyone for your input. Keep it coming. Still looking.
Old 13-02-2013, 23:03   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Just picked up my first ssb rig here in Toronto. All I had to do was ask around the local ham radio community and lots of options became available. Personally I won't use it for data, just talking. The cruisers I've spoken to rely on long range wifi antennas and satellite because you get full service internet. Pactor seems obsolete as loran.

Sail mail has a policy against sending business related emails, so the idea of using the pactor to run a business is flawed from the getgo.
You are confusing Sailmail with Winlink. Sailmail allows business correspondence, but connect time per week is limited. You don't have an instant, on demand connection because you need usable propagation. Bandwidth is adequate practically nly for plain text email. But all that's a great blessing on a long offshore passage or in a really remote area. Wifi (or better, mobile phone data) when you get there. HF data is not, by any means, obsolete.
Old 14-02-2013, 09:19   #19

Boat: Hunter 31
Thanks for the correction.

By the way, I find there is misinformation out there regarding licencing for use of an HF radio on a boat. I was told by another sailor that you don't need any licence to broadcast HF, but I applied for my ship station licence anyway for my HF radio and an ais transponder. But I realize now that I still need an operator callsign to use ham bands.
So my question is, are most cruisers using ssb in the Carib licenced amateur ham operators? Are they using a call sign or the name of their boat for identification?
Old 14-02-2013, 10:03   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

By the way, I find there is misinformation out there regarding licencing for use of an HF radio on a boat. I was told by another sailor that you don't need any licence to broadcast HF, but I applied for my ship station licence anyway for my HF radio and an ais transponder. But I realize now that I still need an operator callsign to use ham bands.
So my question is, are most cruisers using ssb in the Carib licenced amateur ham operators? Are they using a call sign or the name of their boat for identification?
Ham and marine bands are different frequencies, different rules, different licenses, different call signs. You get your marine HF call sign with your station license. Your ham call sign is personal to you, and you get it when you get your ham license.
Old 14-02-2013, 10:09   #21

Boat: Hunter 31
Perhaps, but I've noticed some crossover. Marine Maritime network operates on 14.300.000 which is a ham band is it not?
Old 14-02-2013, 10:18   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Perhaps, but I've noticed some crossover. Marine Maritime network operates on 14.300.000 which is a ham band is it not?
Strictly no crossover. That is a ham band - hams only!
Old 14-02-2013, 14:55   #23

Boat: Beneteau First 40.7

Hi Mike,

I have an Icom M802/AT140 (external speaker, mic, brackets, etc) with a KISS Groundplane and GAM backstay antenna that I'm taking off my boat.

All of the gear was new last year and installed for the Newport Bermuda Race. I'm selling the boat now and parting out more desirable gear. The gear is located in RI.

$2500 for the lot.

Best regards,
Jack
Old 14-02-2013, 15:58   #24

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
You can have both a HAM license and a ships station license for marine bands. Each license will have its own unique call sign. To operate a radio under a ships station license you also need an operator's license. In the US the FCC issues all the required licenses. I don't know how it works in other countries.

Some cruisers have both licenses so they can operate on either HAM or marine bands. I don't know the stats on how many have only one or the other license. No matter what, by treaty, you need a license to transmit on HF except in a bonafide emergency. In that case you can transmit on any HF band (HAM or marine) without a license.

The call sign you use depends on the band you are operating in. It is technically illegal to use a HAM call sign on a marine frequency and vice versa. You should use the call sign of the license applicable to the band you are in. You can also identify the boat but there is no legal requirement to do so.

Technically you need a ships license to use VHF outside of your home country too but I would guess this rule is seldom if ever enforced. AIS works off your VHF license if you have one. You do not need another license for AIS. But you do need an MMSI number for the AIS. There are several ways you can get this but one way is with your ships station marine band license. Another way is to get it through a local agency if you do not plan to travel internationally.
Old 14-02-2013, 17:48   #25
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan

You can have both a HAM license and a ships station license for marine bands. Each license will have its own unique call sign. To operate a radio under a ships station license you also need an operator's license. In the US the FCC issues all the required licenses. I don't know how it works in other countries.

Some cruisers have both licenses so they can operate on either HAM or marine bands. I don't know the stats on how many have only one or the other license. No matter what, by treaty, you need a license to transmit on HF except in a bonafide emergency. In that case you can transmit on any HF band (HAM or marine) without a license.

The call sign you use depends on the band you are operating in. It is technically illegal to use a HAM call sign on a marine frequency and vice versa. You should use the call sign of the license applicable to the band you are in. You can also identify the boat but there is no legal requirement to do so.

Technically you need a ships license to use VHF outside of your home country too but I would guess this rule is seldom if ever enforced. AIS works off your VHF license if you have one. You do not need another license for AIS. But you do need an MMSI number for the AIS. There are several ways you can get this but one way is with your ships station marine band license. Another way is to get it through a local agency if you do not plan to travel internationally.
Under GMDSS you need a mmsi for your VHF and DSC marine MF and HF units as well

Dave
Old 14-02-2013, 17:50   #26

Sent you a PM jdives. Thanks for the response.
Old 14-02-2013, 18:02   #27
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I have an Icom SSB without the pactor modem I'd sell for $600 plus shipping. I'll get you some pictures. Send me a PM.