Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2011, 21:19   #1

Boat: Valiant 32
'Swept' - Not Your Average Sailing Book

If you enjoy an honest and amusing cruising story told from the perspective of a terrified beginner, check out Swept: Love with a Chance of Drowning at www.sweptbook.com

It's my memoir of meeting a man in a San Francisco bar who had a boat and a plan to sail the world. I was terrified of deep water and wanted nothing to do with his plans! But eight months after we first met, the time came for him to depart and I had two choices: leap into watery oblivion with him, or watch the man I was in love with sail away forever. As you can probably guess, I leapt …

REVIEWS

“Un-Put-Down-Able! I rarely laugh out loud whilst reading, but this book had me wetting my pants and reading passages aloud to whoever would listen.” –Amazon Reviewer

"SWEPT is a testament to the rewards that await even the most trepidatious sailor, and may send you untying the dock lines whether you’re “ready” or not. When you’re finished, you’ll understand why the salty sailors say, 'just go.'" —Nick O'Kelly, author of Get Her On Board

"An armchair voyage [with] all the perfect ingredients for a sweet love story, above and beyond the adventure of it all." —Tania Aebi

"I can't recall ever reading such an honest account of cruising!" —Nancy McKeown, Lifestyle Sailor

"… almost certainly the best travel book I have read this year … a story about love between two people … and realising that you are capable of doing so much more than you ever believed you could. All you need to do is cast off the lines that tie you to shore and set yourself free to try.” –Dave Dean of whatsdavedoing.com

SUMMARY

A chance meeting in a San Francisco cocktail bar sparks an instant connection between two opposites: Ivan, a man with an adventurous dream of finding freedom on the ocean aboard his humble sailboat, and Torre, a city girl with a morbid fear of deep water.

As their bond turns to love, Torre realizes the only way to keep the man of her dreams is to embark on the voyage of her nightmares, so she waves goodbye to dry land and braces for a life-changing roller-coaster ride that’s as exhilarating as it is terrifying.

Set against a backdrop of the world’s most beautiful and remote destinations, this sometimes hilarious, often moving, and always breathtakingly brave true story proves there are some risks worth taking.

Buy on Amazon (Kindle or paperback): http://amzn.to/pt5EQz

All the best and happy sailing!
Old 21-09-2011, 21:25   #2

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: Not your average sailing book

Nice to meet you Torre. Sounds interesting. I'll put it on my wish list. I still have plenty to read in the meantime.
Leaping into something is a good way to have an awesome adventure.
Old 21-09-2011, 21:32   #3

Re: Not your average sailing book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_78 View Post
Nice to meet you Torre. Sounds interesting. I'll put it on my wish list. I still have plenty to read in the meantime.
Leaping into something is a good way to have an awesome adventure.
Hi Dan. Leaping is my favorite way to have any kind of experience. That way, everything is a surprise!
Old 22-09-2011, 18:23   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Re: 'Swept' - Not Your Average Sailing Book

Interesting, does this make you a vendor? I use frequent quite a few bars in the city. Where did you meet?.......i2f
Old 23-09-2011, 17:50   #5

Boat: Santana 2023C
I saw this post a few days ago and had to show it to my wife. First of all the icon you had of the little girl with the bird on her head made us roar with laughter. Then I read your blog and knew this was the book for her. Every time we go sailing she is down in the companionway with clenched fists about ready to go out of her mind with fear. She wants to like it. But she just doesn't. She also really wants to support me and my dreams. So she really relates to your story.

Thanks for a refreshing story about sailing adventures from someone who was terrified. In fact I may rename the boat Terri Fied as her name is Terri. And by the way she is a graphic designer as well.

Thanks for a great read!
Old 25-09-2011, 13:32   #6
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Torre,

You got another sale here. Clever girl. My wife gives 'Swept' a .
Old 26-09-2011, 18:45   #7

Thanks for all the comments!

We met in a cocktail bar on Haight Street called Aub Zam Zam. Know it?

Tags
sailing