Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2012, 07:16   #1

Boat: Orana 44
Ultrasonic Antifouling - Australia

Ultrasonic Antifouling Electronic Unit Jaycar readybuilt kit Price A$329

New Ready built Jaycar Kit Ultrasonic Anti-Fouling for Boats from Silicon Chip Magazine (Sept-Nov 2010).

Details Jaycar Kit KC5498: Ultrasonic Antifouling Kit for Boats - Jaycar Electronics

Ready built circuit board, all you have to do is install it in your boat using Part 2 of the supplied instructions. The kit includes the circuit board, ultrasonic transponder, aprox 10m of cable and the transponder fixing components. There are some installation hardware and sundries that may be required for installation that are NOT supplied in the Jaycar Kit e.g. vaseline, silicon grease, screws, wood etc.

The unit needs a 12 volts supply and has a battery protection system that disables the unit if the supply voltage falls below 11.5 volts. The instructions quotes a typical current draw of about 220 ma (0.22 amp) or about 3 watts. So if your boat hasn't a shore supply a solar panel of around 20-40 watts is required. One kit for a boat up to 10m, two kits for a boat up to 14m.

If you have any questions please PM me. As I am on my way back to Europe please contact ASAP. Thanks

Collection from Sydney or Post.

How it works

The way that this works is that the ultrasonic vibration of the hull disrupts the cell structure of algae and this stops algal growth adhering to the hull. And because there is no algal food source on the hull, larger marine organisms have no reason to attach themselves to the hull – no food, no lodgers.
The principles of ultrasonic anti-fouling have been known for a long time. The effect was discovered 80 years ago by French scientist Paul Langevin who was developing sonar for submarines. By accident, he found that ultrasonic energy killed algae. He was working with high power transducers and it was assumed that cavitation was causing algal death. In recent times though, it has been found that high ultrasonic power and cavitation is not required to kill algae.
Instead, it has been found that ultrasonic frequencies can cause resonance effects within algal cell structures and relatively low powers are still enough to cause cell death. So if the boat’s hull can be vibrated over a range of ultrasonic frequencies, algae will not be able to attach to it and other marine growth will similarly be discouraged.
Commercial ultrasonic anti-fouling systems have been available for the last few years but they are very expensive, costing thousands of dollars to install. There is still a cost benefit though and these systems are gradually becoming more popular as news of their effectiveness grows. However, we should state at the outset that the manufacturers do not make blanket guarantees that ultrasonic anti-fouling systems work in every situation. We can understand that.
It’s this lack of a blanket guarantee that’s probably holding back market acceptance. Most boat owners will be very cautious about investing several thousand dollars in a system that may not work in their case. That is where the SILICON CHIP design will be a game-changer. It will cost a fraction of the price of equivalent commercial systems yet should have the same effects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jAYCARkIT.jpg
Views:	745
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	36493  
Old 27-01-2012, 07:57   #2

Re: Ultrasonic Antifouling - Australia

Can you please explain to me why i should pay you A$329 for your bottle of snake oil, when i could buy it for A$259 (including P & P) from Jaycar......

Old 27-01-2012, 08:07   #3

Boat: Gib sea 43

There was a couple of Ultrasonic Anti foul tests done in the UK magazines a year or two ago, both were very inconclusive.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
Old 27-01-2012, 08:31   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Can you please explain to me why i should pay you A$329 for your bottle of snake oil, when i could buy it for A$259 (including P & P) from Jaycar......

Perhaps because the Jaycar one is in kit form and the other is a ready built kit of snake oil????
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 27-01-2012, 08:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Perhaps because the Jaycar one is in kit form and the other is a ready built kit of snake oil????
I know whats involved in the "build", try again sport....
Old 27-01-2012, 10:13   #6

Quote:
Quote:
I know whats involved in the "build", try again sport....
It was only a guess (as indicated by the ????). Like you, I am also curious.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 27-01-2012, 10:20   #7

Quote:
It was only a guess (as indicated by the ????). Like you, I am also curious.
ooops! i thought i hit () instead i hit () No worries, it's all cool.....
Old 27-01-2012, 10:22   #8

Quote:
ooops! i thought i hit () instead i hit () No worries, it's all cool.....
No worries back
Old 27-01-2012, 10:36   #9

Boat: 40 Caliber LRC

I bought an Ultrasonic device for bats and roaches. I works. The poplulations have doubled
Old 27-01-2012, 12:16   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have seen these so called miracle bottom cures for years now with little or no results. If this thing really worked there would be a line a mile long to buy them.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Tags
anti-fouling, Australia