Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2012, 19:55   #31
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Used Fire Hose for Chafing Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
dahlingk...pnw storms are cyclonic, , once they reach san diego, are as good as hurrycames, but sans name. they last for a coupla days. donot think hurrycames are the be all an dend all for storm quality. research before speaking. btdt for each.
firehose works just fine and dandy as antichafe for duration of any storm i have witnessed and experienced. and for many days of them. i have noticed zero problem with my 3/4 inch an d7/8 inch lines--3 strand, thankyou, with firehose used as antichafe, now over the period of over 20 years.

Dahlingk, please back up your statements about storms off San Diego, as I would think that storms of that velocity would make the news. Since we had close family members in southern California, I'm trying to figure out how all these terrible storms moved from the Pacific Northwest, slammed San Diego for days, but missed Los Angeles, Long Beach, Ventura, etc.

According to the source I just checked (Climate in San Diego, California) the average rainfall for San Diego is under 10" - 12" a year. So where are these hurricanes with no rain?

Another source says that both hurricanes and thunderstorms are very rare in San Diego.

It's not the Santa Ana winds affecting the boats there: "Inland, and in mountain passes and canyons, they can burst out in gusts of 100 miles per hour (160 km/h) and can lower relative humidity to single digits, although by the coast they rarely see gusts of over 40 miles per hour (64 km/h)." I can't find any reports of the kind of repeated storms you're talking about. Maybe you could provide a reference?

Maybe before you start criticizing people's information you should assume that they might have some passing familiarity with the area you're talking about. I'm pretty familiar with coastal southern California, Dahlingk.

The insurance industry researched line failures during Katrina. It was the combination of the extended stretching stresses on the lines combined with the lines being protected from chafing material that also blocked cooling water from hitting the lines that caused many line failures.
Old 15-01-2012, 20:14   #32

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Now Dahlingk's please don't go catty on us.
Old 15-01-2012, 21:39   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Now Dahlingk's please don't go catty on us.

There was nothng catty there -- just a comparison of personal information.
Old 16-01-2012, 14:22   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Dahlingk, please back up your statements about storms off San Diego, as I would think that storms of that velocity would make the news. Since we had close family members in southern California, I'm trying to figure out how all these terrible storms moved from the Pacific Northwest, slammed San Diego for days, but missed Los Angeles, Long Beach, Ventura, etc.

According to the source I just checked (Climate in San Diego, California) the average rainfall for San Diego is under 10" - 12" a year. So where are these hurricanes with no rain?

Another source says that both hurricanes and thunderstorms are very rare in San Diego.

It's not the Santa Ana winds affecting the boats there: "Inland, and in mountain passes and canyons, they can burst out in gusts of 100 miles per hour (160 km/h) and can lower relative humidity to single digits, although by the coast they rarely see gusts of over 40 miles per hour (64 km/h)." I can't find any reports of the kind of repeated storms you're talking about. Maybe you could provide a reference?

Maybe before you start criticizing people's information you should assume that they might have some passing familiarity with the area you're talking about. I'm pretty familiar with coastal southern California, Dahlingk.

The insurance industry researched line failures during Katrina. It was the combination of the extended stretching stresses on the lines combined with the lines being protected from chafing material that also blocked cooling water from hitting the lines that caused many line failures.

they DO make news. do you hear the reports of storm damage in west coast?/ do you hear anything about storm damage in cali?? hail, nooo... is hurrycameville you live in, and y'all do not acknowledge the existence of non-named storms on a different coast.. i know--i spent time there watching my boats in san diego bay go thru the hellish storms of winter while i sailed in gulf of mexico.
research means LOOK on your weather maps--- try passage weather,
check out the entire north pacific and watch them form in south pacific, then traverse thru japan and over the cold top to alaska then down th ewest coast. WATCH them as they cyclonically cause fun and games in west coast until they go to rhode island and dump many inches of snow onto the new englanders.
soiunds like you need to learn more about weather and geology. i have studied it since i was 8 yrs old. i learned to SAIL when i was 7 yrs old. i KNOW my weather.
in order to successfully cruise, weather is a major factor. if not learned, then will mess up your life.

i have sailed since age 7 and i have cruised only in gulf of mexico, caribean, west coast's pacific ocean and i sailed in new york state on hudson river. i became interested in weather in grade school because is a part of serious sailing.
(i wanted to find amelia earhart--poor lady got lost in pacific ocean.)

the insurance industry is only interested in their own bottom line, and is more than part of the problem usa is in right now, but that is not for this thread.....
Old 17-01-2012, 19:05   #35

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983

One point to keep in mind is the moisture wicking of older hose. The original style cotton jacketed hose is the perferred type. Almost all hose purchased by departments in the last 8-10 yrs is the polyester impregnated style. Not only are you adding a friction point from the hose to line, but the hose was designed to be water proof. This is why the older cotton style is very much in demand. Also, dont even try it as dock bumpers as you will be able to see it eat gelcoat off, it is that abrasive.
Old 24-01-2012, 11:19   #36

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

On my old wood ketch back back in my young-and-broke days in the 1970's, I used short lengths of inch-and-a-half firehose to make winch handle holders at the masts. Standing a length vertically, I'd cut down a scallop in the top front face to take the handle pointing out, just like an expesive winch handle holder. Then I'd sew two lengths of cod line to the inner edges at top and bottom, and lash the cod lines around the masts to hold up the fire hose vertically against the mast. A winch handle could now just drop right in. It looked pretty good - salty even - and was very functional. They lasted thousand of ocean miles without ever losing a handle.
Old 24-01-2012, 12:10   #37

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampabayfireman View Post
One point to keep in mind is the moisture wicking of older hose. The original style cotton jacketed hose is the perferred type. Almost all hose purchased by departments in the last 8-10 yrs is the polyester impregnated style. Not only are you adding a friction point from the hose to line, but the hose was designed to be water proof. This is why the older cotton style is very much in demand. Also, dont even try it as dock bumpers as you will be able to see it eat gelcoat off, it is that abrasive.
On the bright side, an 8-inch length of 2-inch polyester hose slit length-wise make a great scrub pad for bottom cleaning.
Old 24-01-2012, 12:57   #38
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
they DO make news. do you hear the reports of storm damage in west coast?/ do you hear anything about storm damage in cali?? hail, nooo... is hurrycameville you live in, and y'all do not acknowledge the existence of non-named storms on a different coast.. i know--i spent time there watching my boats in san diego bay go thru the hellish storms of winter while i sailed in gulf of mexico.
research means LOOK on your weather maps--- try passage weather,
check out the entire north pacific and watch them form in south pacific, then traverse thru japan and over the cold top to alaska then down th ewest coast. WATCH them as they cyclonically cause fun and games in west coast until they go to rhode island and dump many inches of snow onto the new englanders.
soiunds like you need to learn more about weather and geology. i have studied it since i was 8 yrs old. i learned to SAIL when i was 7 yrs old. i KNOW my weather.
in order to successfully cruise, weather is a major factor. if not learned, then will mess up your life.

i have sailed since age 7 and i have cruised only in gulf of mexico, caribean, west coast's pacific ocean and i sailed in new york state on hudson river. i became interested in weather in grade school because is a part of serious sailing.
(i wanted to find amelia earhart--poor lady got lost in pacific ocean.)

the insurance industry is only interested in their own bottom line, and is more than part of the problem usa is in right now, but that is not for this thread.....

Excuse me, but *I*, having treasured relatives in that area, pay no attention to it?

ok, 'Dahlingk," whatever you say. I ignore all west coast weather -- because you said so.

This isn't supposed to be a pissing contest, but I will just concede that you can piss farther than I can.

Tags
equipment