Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 19:32   #1

Boat: South African built Ocean/Performance 31
Very Heavy Sunbrella Fabric in Navy ( Dark ) Blue

I got lucky and purchased a roll of Sunbrella fabric from a lady whom was moving out of state. She had purchased this roll to make some fancy awnings, and never used it.

A check with the local canvas shops and the Sunbrella site leads me to belive this is the 12.5 oz, waterproof but breathable material that retails out at 35.00 per yard. I do not know about you, but when I first did the canvas on my boat I would have loved to have this material, but not at 35 dollars a yard. I could not have afforded it. Here is a couple web
link
https://www.outdoorfabrics.com/Produ...pid=947&cid=26 or
Buy Sunbrella 9446-00 Captain Navy With Capt. Navy Flock - Waterproof | Outdoor Fabric Central

I only need a 40 yards for my boat, that leaves me plenty left over, If interested I will sell it by the yard, (it is the 60 inch wide roll) at 15.00, or by the foot if you need it that way. The cost includes shipping within the lower 48 US. International and Canada, I would have to check to see what it would cost me. I would ship the material via US Parcel post, delivery confirmation, insurance would be extra.

Just to review, this is 60 inch wide, dark Navy Blue sunbrella acrylic canvas in the 12.5 oz weight. I have a roll of it and will sell at 15.00 per yard, I would rather the canvas went to some cruisers, but after a week or so I will just ebay or craigslist it. Just to keep things in perspective, regular 9 oz sunbrella, most often used for sailcovers retails for around 22.00 a yard.

I guess the best way is to just direct email at ocean31@bellsouth.net

If your think you want this but not sure if it is the right item, for a couple dollars I will send you a sample. Me myself, I would want to make sure what I am getting, even at a low price of 15.00 a yard. So do not hesitate to ask me to send you a sample, it is something I would understand

Thanks everyone
Old 01-04-2011, 20:16   #2

Boat: Monte Carlo 43
Hi there, I would be very interested to buy 30 yards of you. Could it be shipped by US Postal Package to Thailand. Wishing you a nice weekend, Frank
Old 02-04-2011, 07:38   #3

Re: Very heavy Sunbrella fabric in Navy (dark) blue

Woops, major mistake, this canvas is 52 inches wide, not 60. Not sure what I was thinking,

Sorry for any confusion
Old 02-04-2011, 08:04   #4

Boat: Allied Seawind 30'

How many yards are left after you use what you need?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:30   #5
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Hi Ocean31,

Your post caught me eye because I need to make some sail covers and cockpit cushions and was thinking of navy, so I am interested in the fabric, but it would he helpful for you to answer a few questions.

The fabric you have is an odd width for sunbrella. The standard widths are 46, 54, 60 and 80.

The closest thing to what you are describing is the Canvas line, at 54 inches.

Sunbrella 5439-0000 Canvas Navy 54" Furniture Fabric

This is suitable for marine interiors but not for heavy application such as sail covers or biminis.

If you look at the fabric, does it have its selvages on both sides? It is possible the fabric was originally wider and has been cut down the length of the bolt. For instance if someone were making a sail protector for a rolling furler application they might have removed an 8" or 28" strip off one side to make the edge for a sail in an auto furler. In this case the edge of the fabric would be raw and appear to have been cut, rather than woven and with a narrow (1/2") edge that has a different appearance from the field of the fabric.

If the fabric is in fact actually 54", not 52" then you prolly have the 6.5oz canvas sunbrella (see earlier link) which retails at sailrite for;

Quantity
Price
1 – 14$16.50
15 – 59$15.68
60 +$14.85

If the fabric was 60" or 80" it might be Sunbrella Plus, which is suitable for top applications and weights around 10oz per linear yard. This sells (before being cut down to 52") at;

Quantity
Price
1 – 14$24.50
15 – 59$23.28
60 +$22.05

I can't think of any reason someone would try to use the Sunbrella Supreme for a sail edge, but if it is the supreme it has on one side a smooth applied waterproof (not breathable and thus limited in some application, but excellent for others) surface. In that case at its original width it would have been 13 oz and cost new, uncut;

Quantity
Price
1 – 14$35.50
15 – 39$31.95
40 +$28.40

If the full width of the fabric is 52" then it seems possible you may have a different brand of outdoor fabric. There are lots of good ones other than sunbrella!
If you can determine what you have would be great!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 02-04-2011, 14:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Hi Ocean31,
If the full width of the fabric is 52" then it seems possible you may have a different brand of outdoor fabric. There are lots of good ones other than sunbrella!
If you can determine what you have would be great!

Thank you all for the replies, I ran across the same problem on actually indentifiying the material. As such I took the roll to two canvas/sailmaker shops. One shop said said 12 to 15 oz sunbrella, the other shop said 15 oz sunbrella. The closed match I could find going through the web site is the 60 inch width sunbrella 12.5 oz waterproof but breathable. Hence......the initial confusion on size.

I can tell you this heavier then the canvas used on my boat. So I would say at least a 12 oz cloth.

Samples, samples, if you think you might be interested I will send out some samples. That would be best. I put a price of two dollars on a sample just to stop those persons whom are bored and wanted to corraspond about canvas, but really did not intend to buy.

If this works here is a couple pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	25776

Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	25777

On how much is available, I am not sure how much is on the roll, and in truth really did not want to unroll it just to find out, But if the picture worked, you can see there is quite a bit.

Hope above helps.
Old 03-04-2011, 13:35   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Does it have selvages on both sides of the bolt or is one side cut?

Old 03-04-2011, 17:10   #8

Quote:

Both sides are the same, if they are cut they are machine cut, no loose threads.

jsb
Old 03-04-2011, 17:11   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

thanks!

Old 03-04-2011, 17:18   #10

Quote:

If anyone is interested in the material, it would probably be so much easier if I sent you a sample. You would know exactly what you are getting, and you can always take the sample down to a canvas shop and get another opinon. I was just going to cut a big enough section to fit in a business envelope and mail them off.

When I ship the material, just a heads up, I am going to fold the material 2 to 3 times and loose fold it up (kinda like folding a sail) so it will fit in a regular box. My understanding is once you go over 42 inches, shipping goes way up. Again, just a heads up.

I work offshore, and will be out of town the 6.7. and 8th of this month, and heading back offshore the 15th. Be gone a month, just so everyone knows of the time line on shipping.
thanks

jsb