Old 10-03-2012, 08:37   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Village Marine LWM 200 Boost Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Tellie,
I wasn't questioning your advice. I was asking what actually happens to the HP pumps in these situations? How does the lack of a boost pump, actually damage the HP pump.

I know you weren't. After re-reading my post I realized I might have given the wrong impression, sorry.
Usually the most common issue is faster plunger and check valve wear from small internal chattering that is sometimes unoticable due to lack of positive pressure. Most of these pump are quite durable and the wear only becomes obvious after longer hours on the meter. Depending on model, most re-build kits cost more than a boost pump. Plunger pumps do not draw water they only pump what is given to them. Many times as well when boats are underway and operating their watermakers they take in air. A boost pump though it will not remove or lessen the air it helps give the HP pump enough positive pressure to help quickly purge that air. Where not having that pressure the air has a better oportunity to cavitate in the HP pump even on a small enough level to cause premature wear. It may seem to be a small issue but on some boats it adds up quicker than others depending on the install and the boats dynamics as it moves through the water.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:39   #17

Boat: Outbound 44

Thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 08:39   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Thanks

Anytime Paul.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:23   #19

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

I stand corrected. My membrane is actually 38". Also, much thanks on the offer on valves and membrane pricing. One of the earlier posts suggested using the March #893-001-04 circulating pump. What is your opinion on that? A couple other things while I have your ear:
1) What oil is recommended for the high pressure pump?

2)- The strainer canister provided with my VM is identical to the prefilter and fresh water flush canisters, but without any sort of strainer or filter provided. What would you recommend to be used in the strainer (filter wise), as well as in the prefilter and fresh water flush? The prefilter came with a 5 micron installed, so I assume that is most likely correct for both the pore and flush filters. Correct?

Thanks once more for all your help. Will

Tags
marine