Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 06:15   #1

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32
Village Marine LWM 200 Boost Pump

Village Marine LWM 200 boost pump needed. I purchaced an older LITTLE WONDER watermaker that is missing a few parts, including the:

1) Boost Pump
2) 3-way cleaning valve
3) 3- way tasting valve

If anyone has these parts, or an affordable source for them please contact me.
Thanks, Will
Old 09-03-2012, 15:02   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Village Marine LWM 200 Boost Pump

The boost pump is not VM specific - any plain vanilla pump will work just fine. If the unit is installed below waterline, no pump is needed at all.

The 3-way valves are also not special in any way. Any 3-way valve will work. Our cleaning valve is a Apollo from the hardware store.

So everything you are looking for are common parts and fairly inexpensive (pump at any chandlery or Amazon and valves at a good hardware store).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 09-03-2012, 18:59   #3

Boat: 55'alloy performance cruiser

Hello, My Little Wonder came with a magnetically coupled March pump using only one amp at 12v. The model # is 893-001-04. These are available through many of the solar heating companies, google solar hot water circulating pumps. I think it would be advantageous to keep the amps down if possible so these small units are ideal. As another poster commented though, if your pressure pump is below the water line , it wouldn't be necessary.
cheers, Greg
Old 09-03-2012, 20:06   #4

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

Thanks so much for all the great info. Unfortunately, pump and membrane are right at the water line, with the feedwater strainer, prefilter and the freshwater flush filters are all above the water line. I had been researching other pump options, but was unsure of any pressure requirements necessitating some form of pressure regulating valve. Noise was also a concern. My LWM 200 takes a 40" membrane, and at $500+ a pop, I not crazy about spending an additional $250-300 their recommended pump. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Any leads on an affordable membrane?
Will
Old 10-03-2012, 04:27   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Village Marines membranes are not 40" and are propriatary. A circulating pump must be able to withstand the salt water enviroment. Be careful which after market one you choose. Johnson makes a good one but the price range is about $230. If you can give me until Monday let me check on a price for the VM boost pump, valves, and membrane. I might be able to do a bit better for you.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:16   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsailwill View Post
Thanks so much for all the great info. Unfortunately, pump and membrane are right at the water line, with the feedwater strainer, prefilter and the freshwater flush filters are all above the water line. ...
Have you tried running this without the extra pump? You can prime the system by using the pressure water flush system. It may run fine after that.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:22   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Have you tried running this without the extra pump? You can prime the system by using the pressure water flush system. It may run fine after that.

With all due respect Paul, that is not a good idea at all. Village Marine units are designed for a positive input from their boost pump. I'm the first in line for saving a dollar where we can. But HP plunger pumps do not like air. Plunger pumps, especially a Village Marine Titanium pump are very pricey. VM is very insistant on a below the waterline boost pump. Telling the local VM dealer you used a off brand pump or not one at all won't go very far when the HP pump is shot as opposed to saying you used their recommended boost pump.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:40   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Telling the local VM dealer you used a off brand pump or not one at all won't go very far when the HP pump is shot as opposed to saying you used their recommended boost pump.
Telling a VM dealer anything will just be a waste of air. When Parker bought VM, they voided all of the lifetime HP pump warranties on previously sold units. They now offer 30 day warranties on their HP pumps.

I know this because I had VM do a service overhaul on our lifetime warrantied HP pump. VM forgot to use locktite (red specified) on the ceramic plunger bolt and it came loose and destroyed the pump within 50hrs of use after getting it back from them.

Unfortunately, within those 50hrs, Parker bought them. When I called to get a repair/replacement, all they would offer me was to buy a new pump at MSRP price.

I pointed out that I had a lifetime warranty certificate in my hand that came with the pump when the system was purchased. They told me tough cookies, they are a new company now and do not have to honor the old company's warranties.

I pointed out that the pump was damaged by their hands and by their failure to follow their own rebuild instructions and not by anything I did. They told me tough cookies, it was 15 days past the 30 day warranty on their work.

I received a personal message by a VM employee from his home email address apologizing for the way I was being treated and stating that most of the VM workers were very unhappy with Parker, they way they were treating their customers, and the way they were treating the VM employees.

There are many, many reasons to stay away from VM now.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:00   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Yeah, I agree there was a big shake up when Parker bought them out. I've heard a lot of stories. If the previous tech did not use locktite on your pump he was wrong. Boy, do I wish I could get all these repairs and service work myself. I'll even take all the unsatisfied customers. I've spent a long time building a reputation with my customers. If you had come to me and I made that mistake you would have been taken care of with an apology and without question. The transfer of ownership was not how I would have done it. But even with that said giving misguided advice will not help the OP and that's what I was correcting.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:01   #10

Quote:
With all due respect Paul, that is not a good idea at all. Village Marine units are designed for a positive input from their boost pump. I'm the first in line for saving a dollar where we can. But HP plunger pumps do not like air. Plunger pumps, especially a Village Marine Titanium pump are very pricey. VM is very insistant on a below the waterline boost pump. Telling the local VM dealer you used a off brand pump or not one at all won't go very far when the HP pump is shot as opposed to saying you used their recommended boost pump.
It may not be. From the original description it sounds like the pump mounting may actually be low enough in respect to the waterline. Not clear. The whole unit does not need to be below the WL.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Telling a VM dealer anything will just be a waste of air. When Parker bought VM, they voided all of the lifetime HP pump warranties on previously sold units. They now offer 30 day warranties on their HP pumps....
Mark,
I've wondered how things have migrated to Parker after the sale - I guess you've answered that.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:09   #12
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
It may not be. From the original description it sounds like the pump mounting may actually be low enough in respect to the waterline. Not clear. The whole unit does not need to be below the WL.

You are correct, the whole unit does not have to be at or below the waterline. But the boost pump does have to be below the waterline. But even if the HP pump is below the waterline I would not recommend going without a boost pump on any HP plunger type watermaker.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:12   #13

Quote:
You are correct, the whole unit does not have to be at or below the waterline. But the boost pump does have to be below the waterline. But even if the HP pump is below the waterline I would not recommend going without a boost pump on any HP plunger type watermaker.
What is the issue of using it without the boost pump? I installed mine without one and so far so good (350 hours).
Old 10-03-2012, 07:25   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

HP plunger pumps like a positive pressure and flow on the input. Sure they can run for what seems a long time without one, but they do wear faster that way. Remember there are all kinds of plunger type watermakers out there of all different makes and sizes from single piston to five piston pumps. I give advice on my experiance from working on a broad range of units. I don't give out advice based on factory engineer written manuals. I also don't give advice based on saving a small amount of money when I feel through experiance that sometimes the extra money is well spent. Nor do I give advice to rake people over the coals to make an extra profit. But it is only my advice, folks can take it or leave it.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:02   #15

Quote:
HP plunger pumps like a positive pressure and flow on the input. Sure they can run for what seems a long time without one, but they do wear faster that way. Remember there are all kinds of plunger type watermakers out there of all different makes and sizes from single piston to five piston pumps. I give advice on my experiance from working on a broad range of units. I don't give out advice based on factory engineer written manuals. I also don't give advice based on saving a small amount of money when I feel through experiance that sometimes the extra money is well spent. Nor do I give advice to rake people over the coals to make an extra profit. But it is only my advice, folks can take it or leave it.
Tellie,
I wasn't questioning your advice. I was asking what actually happens to the HP pumps in these situations? How does the lack of a boost pump, actually damage the HP pump.

Tags
marine