Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2016, 13:38   #1

walker bay 8 sail kit

I need the sailing kit with rudder rigging, mast, and centerboard. not too concerned about condition of sail, I can have a new one made.
thanks!
Old 21-01-2016, 14:01   #2

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: walker bay 8 sail kit

Sailnow, I'm not sure where you are located but out here in the PNW I searched for just what you are looking for for 2 years with very little luck.

What I did find in abundance were Walker bay boats complete with the sail kit. So I ended up buying a whole other boat just to get the sail kit. I think a paid about $650 for the whole outfit (everything was like new). I have not (yet) sold the un-needed hull but they seem to sell at around $300 - $350.

Anyway, just thought I would share my experience with this. Good luck with your search.

Steve.
Old 21-01-2016, 14:20   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Sailnow, I'm not sure where you are located but out here in the PNW I searched for just what you are looking for for 2 years with very little luck.

What I did find in abundance were Walker bay boats complete with the sail kit. So I ended up buying a whole other boat just to get the sail kit. I think a paid about $650 for the whole outfit (everything was like new). I have not (yet) sold the un-needed hull but they seem to sell at around $300 - $350.

Anyway, just thought I would share my experience with this. Good luck with your search.

Steve.
You are correct, the boat and kit are more popular, and I have given that thought. I do not have a car that can carry one thou, and that is limiting.
Old 21-01-2016, 14:44   #4

Sorry, NE florida.
Old 21-01-2016, 15:01   #5

I am considering one of these as a tender......any opinions on how it actually sails.....1 person, 2 people, different conditions, beaching, under power etc etc . Thanks, David
Old 22-01-2016, 08:36   #6

Boat: Hunter 380

I have some spare Walker Bay stuff lying around at home. If you're interested, I can check on what I have and send you some pictures via PM.
Old 22-01-2016, 08:53   #7

Boat: Grand Banks 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanton37 View Post
I am considering one of these as a tender......any opinions on how it actually sails.....1 person, 2 people, different conditions, beaching, under power etc etc . Thanks, David
I have an 8' Walker Bay with the sailing kit and a 4 HP Mercury 4-cycle outboard. Under oar or engine it will take two adults or three if not too heavy.

The strong points:
- very light and easy to manhandle
- tracks very well under oar due rigid hull and keel
- easy to rig
- versatile: 3 modes of power in one boat
- fairly stable, particularly for a rigid boat, thanks to the inflatable "collar"

The weak:
- somewhat flimsy, particularly the rudder attachment
- does not sail very well upwind
- will not plane under power due to hull shape

So, as usual, it depends on the actual use you will give it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-07 14.30.17.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	117244  
Old 22-01-2016, 09:58   #8

I also have whole boat/2hp/and sail kit for sale, but in PNW. As for sailing... it is one of the few boats which sails equally well backwards as forwards... some might not consider it a feature.
Old 22-01-2016, 09:59   #9

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I have one with the inflatable collar and sailing rig here in UK It's great for up to three people (four even if they're all little 'uns) It will fit on a standard after market roof rack inverted (just) which is how I transport mine to and from my sailing club at the start and end of the season. I was fortunate to pick up the last available sailing kit when Walker Bays stopped being imported into UK, and at a pretty good price too (£500). very happy with it and wouldn't change it, too big though to carry on my cruiser/racer Parker 27 so I have a small 2-man folding dinghy along the side rail for when I anchor off somewhere.
Old 22-01-2016, 11:57   #10

Boat: Coast 30

Hello,

When I bought my 31 foot yacht as a refit project; A very old original Walker bay hull came with it as part of the deal. (both boats by the same designer) I had to access my way into a marina with tape measure and note pad to determine the position of the holes that now come pre made on the new hulls. Later it seemed Walkerbay agreed with my measurements. I spent $800 on the grey color RIV tube. and bolted it on. Worth every dollar and a real life saver!

I think the two of us combined weigh more than the manufactures load specification. (but it is rude to ask a lady what her weight is ?) we also carry an anchor, anchor chain and rode. However we push it with an old 2 Hp British Seagull. and have made Coastal 'voyages' of over twenty miles or more. So I am far more impressed with it than I thought I would be when I first found that I owned it. Initially the flexible bottom can seem un-nerving compared to a rigid traditional lapstrake or fiberglass boat. and I wondered how it would hold up in view of its age (considering some plastics become brittle with age?)

I do not have a sail kit for it. We did try jury rigging fore sails from another dingy and sailing on an inland lake last summer. I am sure that with a bit more work this could be more successful. The only aspect of the Walkerbay sail kit that I imagine I would not like is the sleave method of attaching the main sail to the mast. It seems to me it would be saver to have a sail track and a halyard system to raise and lower sail? even a small fore sail would help with control for tacking. This only seems to be offered with the Walkerbay 10 foot?

One suggestion I offered them was to put the motor mount either off center to port. or extend it thus. As I had to custom make a cranked tiller for the Seagull outboard to stop the standard one from jabbing me in the back. Anyone else with this concern let me know; the foundry made extra castings.
Old 22-01-2016, 13:22   #11

I have a walker bay 8' sailing kit never used.Also have a 3.5 Tohatsu 4 cylinder outboard never used as well a used walker bay dinghy I am located i Brooklyn NY and and am eager to sell all
Old 23-01-2016, 03:56   #12

Sent a few private messages.

I have no delusions, this thing will most likely sail badly, but I just want a cheep hobby, and I don't think I would have any cost beyond purchase of this kit.
Old 24-01-2016, 03:16   #13

I have a complete sailkit for sale, all in good shape including the sail.

PM me if interested. I am in US Virgin Islands for another week and can ship from here with USPS.

Tags
sail