Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 10:49   #1

Boat: bruce roberts spray 45ft
Smile Want to buy a Sailrite Sewing Machine

Hi, Am in Michigan and looking for a Sailrite type sewing machine that maybe can also be used by hand, are there any up for sale? Thanks, Marty.
Old 13-03-2012, 12:14   #2

Re: Want to buy a Sailrite sewing machine

there is a shop here in the Biloxi area

sailmakerssupply dot com

I believe she carries the "Mini Brute" machine which is a rebranded same type machine as the Sailrite (no zag).
Old 13-03-2012, 12:40   #3

Boat: Haida 26

Defender marine has one on sale now for $425. that's the same as a sailrite. Hand crank is optional @ $99.., good buy, sale ends today. Has straight & zig zag @ 6mm. I belive it's called a Reliant[same machine as a sailrite]...Michael..
Old 13-03-2012, 13:41   #4

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

A note about the previous posts "same as a Sailrite". I talked with Sailrite about their machines and sails. They purchase these sewing machines and then disassemble them and rework them to bring them up to their standards. They said that this is mandatory, as manufactured the QC is not acceptable.

I'd verify that the other sellers do this before considering them to be the same machine.
Old 13-03-2012, 13:55   #5

Not really all truth, these machines start out as a Thompson Walking foot [brand name & manufacture] Sailrite ads a reduction gear and a larger flywheel, same as Reliant. A stock Thompson does the same job, just faster speed and less power, thus the reduction gear. You can buy parts from Sailrite that are the same manufacture as Reliant. There the same, just different colors and price..Michael..
Old 14-03-2012, 01:02   #6

Thanks everyone for all the info. I am still hoping that there is someone who has done their mods and wants to move their machine on.
Old 14-03-2012, 16:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbymartin
Thanks everyone for all the info. I am still hoping that there is someone who has done their mods and wants to move their machine on.
Defender will have the above mentioned machine on sale again at the end of the month. The proper name is "Reliable " the model they call the Barracuda. There made in same factory in Taiwan as sailrite. I will be ordering one for myself with the cuda crank. All of sailrite attachments will work with this machine. Don't get me wrong if I had a few hundred more I would go with the sailrite. You can find some on eBay as well.
Old 18-03-2012, 01:08   #8

Re: Want to buy a Sailrite Sewing Machine

Still hoping to find a Sailrite machine, if only they seem to be the benchmark for heavy use. I can understand they are hard to come by but if there are any going please let me know. Many thanks.
Old 18-03-2012, 05:17   #9
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
Not really all truth, these machines start out as a Thompson Walking foot [brand name & manufacture] Sailrite ads a reduction gear and a larger flywheel, same as Reliant. A stock Thompson does the same job, just faster speed and less power, thus the reduction gear. You can buy parts from Sailrite that are the same manufacture as Reliant. There the same, just different colors and price..Michael..

A really important feature if you want to sew with Tenara (Teflon) thread, which is the most sun-resistant thread made -- you have to be able to change the angle of the shaft holding the needle. If you can't do that, you still have a machine with limits.
Old 18-03-2012, 06:29   #10

Boat: Columbia 50

Rakuflames,

How about some detail on this tenora 'angle' thing you're talking about - how in the world could ANY machine punch through fabric at an angle (simply by changing the needle-hold angle), and why is this particularly important with tenora?

Matt
Old 18-03-2012, 07:51   #11

If you only new what makes a machine sew...Shuttle,needle and timing. Loosen your wifes needle bar 1mm and see what that does to your sex life... Michael..
Old 06-05-2012, 17:16   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbymartin View Post
Still hoping to find a Sailrite machine, if only they seem to be the benchmark for heavy use. I can understand they are hard to come by but if there are any going please let me know. Many thanks.
If your are still looking for a Sailrite sewing machine I just posted a Sailrite SR-200 for sale. Please call me. 317-752-2769 John
Old 14-07-2012, 08:22   #13

I have 2 for sail 1 is lsz-1 used twice for $750.00 obo and the other is ls-1 slightly used bought both in feb 2011