Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2008, 18:43   #1

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
wanted 35' to 45' catamaran passage maker

must be in reasonably good condition for under $150K.

no busted Lexan. bilge pumps need to work. no need to replace the engines.

heads need to function.

hoses to propane tanks should not leak.

electrical wiring should not need to be replaced or repaired.

headliner should not need to be replaced or repaired.

do your own bottom job.

no leaking hatches.

no rotten floor structure requiring replacement.

a hard bottom dinghy with a functioning outboard would be a nice plus.

Boat should be sound. Electronics should work.

Thanks!
Old 20-10-2008, 19:34   #2

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Just saw your post. I'm down in Melbourne. http://www.surfnrg.com/catamaran.htm
Old 20-10-2008, 19:45   #3

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Our own "Finditsurfit" may be of help. In your price range this would be an excellent choice.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ale-20200.html

Mike
Old 22-10-2008, 17:32   #4

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
Dear SurfNRG and mikereed100:

Thanks very much for your interest, but even though interesting and close, your boats are not quite the right fit for us for a long term live aboard and passage maker.

We looked at a Pahi 42 in Panama City Florida, and it was more Spartan than we wanted for a full time liveaboard for the next 10 years or more (we're sort of old fat lazy and pampered). Wharrams are fast and smart boats - just not what we're looking for.

Same is true of Wildcats. Wildcats are great boats, and your pics indicate a well maintained, pretty boat. These boats have a low bridge deck clearance. For long ocean passages, we're hanging in there for a higher bridge deck clearance. Wildcats are probably used on long passages quite successfully, we're just picker'n'heck (actually we're getting sick of ourselves because of this).

At this point in our search (been at it for almost a year), the boat models we think will work best for us for a long term liveaboard and blue water passage are Privileges, Lagoons, and Fontaine Pajots. Our problem is that they cost a tremendous amount of money unless they're in pathetic shape. Then they still cost a lot of money.

There may be a boat out there that has been custom made that will work as well, so we'll keep looking and keep an open mind.

Thanks again and best wishes in your endeavours to sell your boats,

First Mate
Old 22-10-2008, 18:11   #5

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
First Mate,

Have you looked at Catalac, Solaris and Prout? All good boats in your price range although you would have to accept a lower bridgedeck. I fear you will have to let go of any hopes for a Privilege, Lagoon or FP in your range. Have you considered a tri or (choke) monohull? You could get a palacial blue-water cruising mono in that price range. There are some very nice tri's to be had from time to time for less than 150k as well.

Good luck and have fun with your search,
Mike
Old 22-10-2008, 18:40   #6

I agree with Mike. In general, South African, English and and other non-French boats don't place the same premium on bridge deck clearance that some of the French boats do. The sort of intriguing news is that there are Privileges, Lagoons, and Fontaine Pajots in the Caribbean priced in Euros or Pounds, and with the recently stengthening Dollar you may find some good ones in or approaching your price range.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
Old 22-10-2008, 20:21   #7

Boat: Morgan Nelson / Marek 36
First Mate,

If you want to go a little higher in price I have a Catana 39S, with no busted Lexan. bilge pumps are new and work. Volvo 2002 are in good shape, always start right up, don't smoke, etc. The heads not only function but have just been re-plumbed and have new holding tanks. All the propane hoses from the new composite tanks to the new Magma bbq to the new three burner Princess range are new. The electrical wiring does not need to be replaced or repaired. The new led lights throughout work great. The headliner is in excellent condition. New 12v refrigeration system installed and working great. Bottom was done last year. Standing rigging replaced in October '06. Brand new 45lb Delta anchor with 200 ft 3/8 bbb chain and an additional 45 lb. cqr type with 300 ft 3/4" line. Asymetrical spinnaker w/ new CDI continuous line furler on 5 ft. retractable bowsprit, symetrical spinnaker w/ sock, new halyards last year. No leaking hatches. No rotten floor structure requiring replacement. Comes with an Avon hard bottom dinghy with a functioning Yamaha 9.9 outboard. The boat is sound. Electronics work. I have multiple spares for many of the everyday items. Interior is in great shape.

My cruising plans have changed, I readied the boat for a two year cruise with my family, but since this is not their dream, I need to find a small go fast monohull that can be single handed.
Old 23-10-2008, 07:56   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
West Coast Cat: I am interested in your catana. Would you PM me some more information? Is this a twin engine, tiller steered boat? Does it have ssb and autopilot? Do you know how much space you need in a travel lift?
Old 23-10-2008, 11:56   #9

Boat: Morgan Nelson / Marek 36
Sandy I sent PM, yes twin engine - Volvo 2002, it is tiller steering, no SSB, Raymarine tiller pilot, they tell me 19'10" beam - I had it hauled on a rail here in Channel Islands.
Old 29-10-2008, 17:53   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 25ft Merlin catamaran, 34ft Romany catamaran
Our 34ft Romany catamaran could be for sale next spring after we return from the Bahamas, the second time the boat will have sailed there from Annapolis.

Price would be USD80,000 including all cruising gear, new Calvert sails, 2 dinghies etc

This message written on board Romany at anchor in the Pamlico Sound, heading south

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

Woods Designs Sailing Catamarans