Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 13:49   #16
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Re: Westsail 32, new engine, $15k

Wow you guys are a tough crowd, In my book a $10,000 new engine would give a pass to 10 years of no maintence. Any old boat needs through hulls, seacocks, sails,rigging, pretty much anything installed in the 1970's. Many people do all of the above and then expect the 40 year old engine to run great or be easily fixed. I'd rather have the security of a new diesel over new sails and rigging any day. I bet more do it yourselfers would rather re-rig, than re-power. If it was in the lower 48 it would sell quicker.
Old 04-01-2013, 15:46   #17

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

We may seem like a tough crowd because this boat has to travel several hundred NM before it can reach an area populated enough...and with roads...to get the service you rightly point out it likely needs.

If it sinks 50 NM south of Ketchikan due to 20 things going wrong that couldn't have been remedied ashore, the newish Vetus will count for nothing but fish habitat.

I'd love to own a '37 Cord, but if it was 100 miles away from an Antarctic base, any price would seem expensive.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:53   #18

No doubt the price is related to location. However, If someone with sailing experience wants a W32, has time on their hands, and contacts the seller to determine the actual condition of things (sails, rigging, shaft, thru hulls etc.) Then an arrangement waiting until June to take possession and a summer sail south from Ketchikan would be the trip of a lifetime. ketchikan and south is beautiful in the summer.... alot of IF's.....

Old 05-01-2013, 10:41   #19

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Absolutely concur, particularly if you can sail up on a 45 footer with a nice workshop and a crew of six. Sail back in tandem, and your odds of enjoying the "great deal" increase greatly, although you'll have to put up with complaints from the 45 footer that "you're going so slowly!"

In fine weather southbound with good charts, good ground tackle and lookouts for the deadheads, it would indeed be a spectacular trip.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 05-01-2013, 18:31   #20

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

The boat would want a survey before being sailed south by a new owner from the lower 48, that's for sure. But it would be a great buy for someone in Ketchikan or thereabouts.

BTW does anyone else think the rudder is just a little bit small for a full keel double-ender?
Old 05-01-2013, 18:49   #21

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
The boat would want a survey before being sailed south by a new owner from the lower 48, that's for sure. But it would be a great buy for someone in Ketchikan or thereabouts.

BTW does anyone else think the rudder is just a little bit small for a full keel double-ender?
Nope...
They are quite massive. They often get referred to as a "barn door rudder".
Old 06-01-2013, 08:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post

That rudder look huge to me! Definitely a fixer.....

Old 06-01-2013, 09:21   #23

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Yeah on second glance I guess it is pretty big. Didn't really look that good at it and there is that guy in the way...
Old 06-01-2013, 09:29   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The boat is an early production W32. The rudders after #150 or so don't have the rounded aft bottom contour but are flat/squarish. Photo's are a mishmash timewise. No telling the present condition by them as they look to date from several different timeframes, maybe even decades. Would want current pic's before proceding any further with this boat. Don't get me wrong, think it's possibly a hell of a deal but would want present condition pinned down before getting into this boat. Doubt that there is anything seriously wrong that a little time in a yard wouldn't cure. Safety items like sea cocks could be easily handled by just buying all new sea cocks and replacing the old ones. A couple thousand dollars and you could replace most of the real safety issue possibilities as a precaution. See that it has closed SS turnbuckles. Those are a no no for me but may be fine given it's extreme north location and low salinity environment. Would want to replace the whisker stay plates for both the boomkin and bobstay. These are just simple SS plate material and could be made by the new owner. In short, for under $5,000 additional money would believe you'd have a viable long distance cruiser. You'd still need a windvane, a tiller pilot and the sails looked at but you'd be most of the way there.

As far as services, Ketchikan has a large fishing fleet. I'm sure that most marine services are available there so even large problems could be taken care of. You'd have the expense of shipping sail specific stuff but not much different than I have here in Kona. Better like cold weather, however. Even in summer it's never really warm there and no shortage of rainfall. Alaska is a State and serviced by the US mail which has great deals and quick service via Priority Mail.

The inside passage south from there is really pretty much like sailing in Puget Sound. Fog and rain will be common but winds are typically light to non existant in the summer. There is only one significant stretch of open water, IIRC between there and Seattle. Would be pretty much a motoring trip south unless you get lucky.

If I was younger and my wife still had any adventure left in her, would seriously consider taking on that project.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:52   #25

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi
The boat is an early production W32. The rudders after #150 or so don't have the rounded aft bottom contour but are flat/squarish. Photo's are a mishmash timewise. No telling the present condition by them as they look to date from several different timeframes, maybe even decades. Would want current pic's before proceding any further with this boat. Don't get me wrong, think it's possibly a hell of a deal but would want present condition pinned down before getting into this boat. Doubt that there is anything seriously wrong that a little time in a yard wouldn't cure. Safety items like sea cocks could be easily handled by just buying all new sea cocks and replacing the old ones. A couple thousand dollars and you could replace most of the real safety issue possibilities as a precaution. See that it has closed SS turnbuckles. Those are a no no for me but may be fine given it's extreme north location and low salinity environment. Would want to replace the whisker stay plates for both the boomkin and bobstay. These are just simple SS plate material and could be made by the new owner. In short, for under $5,000 additional money would believe you'd have a viable long distance cruiser. You'd still need a windvane, a tiller pilot and the sails looked at but you'd be most of the way there.

As far as services, Ketchikan has a large fishing fleet. I'm sure that most marine services are available there so even large problems could be taken care of. You'd have the expense of shipping sail specific stuff but not much different than I have here in Kona. Better like cold weather, however. Even in summer it's never really warm there and no shortage of rainfall. Alaska is a State and serviced by the US mail which has great deals and quick service via Priority Mail.

The inside passage south from there is really pretty much like sailing in Puget Sound. Fog and rain will be common but winds are typically light to non existant in the summer. There is only one significant stretch of open water, IIRC between there and Seattle. Would be pretty much a motoring trip south unless you get lucky.

If I was younger and my wife still had any adventure left in her, would seriously consider taking on that project.
Hahaha.

Yep....
Here is a picture of the rudder from hull #191, year 1974.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1051658034.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	52271  
Old 06-01-2013, 15:09   #26

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Yes, I haven't taken my name of the crew list yet!
Old 06-01-2013, 15:12   #27

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I see the craigslist add has been deleted by the author. Someone got a good deal.

kind regards,

Tags
engine