Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015, 12:58   #1

Who wants to meet some awesome kids from Illinois?

Three friends looking to start an adventure of a lifetime, would like to trade copious amounts of physical labor for your sailboat. We are all in our 20s, capable of using common sense, smart enough to know that we know nothing about life yet, capable outdoorsmen/woman, excellent company, and most importantly extremely hard workers.
We would be capable of completing almost any tasks you can come up with for us. Some of our skills include carpentry, general electrical work, automotive repair, classic car restoration ( one of our group has been featured in magazines for vintage VW and Porsche restoration), welding/fabricating, cooking, cleaning, excellent people skills, sales, familiar with horses, farming, WWII era aircraft maintenance, picking up heavy things, landscaping, bar tending, drywalling, roofing, and to be honest this list could go on and on. Basically we feel between the three of us we can do anything, within reason of course.
One of our group can be available within 48 hours of contact, he has already spoken with his boss and he fully supports this move. The other two will not be available until the beginning of August due to work commitments.
We are looking for a boat at least 27 feet long in almost any condition. However it would be awesome if it at least floated. Rest assured any boat that falls under our care will see years of adventurers across the globe. It will be loved.
When you contact us we will be happy to furnish you with several reputable references, and any other information you would like. Thank you for taking the time to read this. We appreciate any advice you may have as well, to aid us in our search.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-07-2015, 15:28   #2

Re: Who wants to meet some awesome kids from Illinois?

Awesome plan! I hope it works out for you! I'm at the other end of the spectrum: grandmother, no skills of any kind and no strength but massive love of sailing! Wishing you all the very best.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-07-2015, 17:16   #3

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

I hope someone gives the guys a boat to refit so they can take the grandmother for the sail of her life. "-)
Old 02-07-2015, 17:17   #4

Boat: Vancouver 27

Awesome. I don't have the work for you, but I wish you the best.

Know it's not what you asked, but why not buy something small and on the cheap and fix it up?
Old 02-07-2015, 20:29   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Good luck with your quest, guys, but in reality I suspect that you will get far better results by using your many talents to earn dollars which you can then trade for a boat which better meets your needs. The chances of finding the right boat AND the right owner w ho will accommodate your unusual plan are pretty slim.

Jim
Old 02-07-2015, 21:13   #6

Thanks for all of the positive responses guys and gals! We are all very excited to start living on the water. As for using our skills to earn cash, we are actively doing that. We are saving money to buy a boat, but thought this might be fun to try. Never know who you might meet out there.
Old 02-07-2015, 21:14   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Concur with Jim. You'll get the best value for your work and little possibility for misunderstanding if you allow money to do its job.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 03-07-2015, 07:47   #8

I know of 3 boats, 32-34', that are somewhere between salvageable and junk in Fort Myers Beach. They are residing in a marina at Semmer Electric and floating. Contact Bill or Elaine Semmer at Semmer Electric and I think they would be more than willing to discuss a deal with you. They have had a few other 'deals' with folks who worked a bit and disappeared.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:39   #9

Boat: Freedom 32'

Keep on truckin' I love seeing "outside the box". Check every marina you pass and please let us know when you found a deal. Wishing you all the best luck in the world!
Old 03-07-2015, 09:03   #10

Boat: csy 37

In the size range you are looking at you will have very little problem buying a boat, and not one that needs a lot of work. I know of an excellent Catalina 27 in our anchorage that can be had for $5k. Keep looking on craigslist.

With the skills you guys profess to have you should have little problem saving up $5k in six months or less.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:37   #11

Call me and we can talk. 239-784-9621 Sara Peterson
Old 03-07-2015, 16:06   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Good on ya for having a crack & I wish you luck. Agree with Zengirl & Jim, there are lots of unused/neglected boats out there. Another way is to look in auctions by insurance companies of damaged boats. They can often have much better sails, rigs accessories & engine than long neglected ones The secret there is to have a cheap place to work on the boat as it can get expensive if you have to pay boatyard fees. You have to way up the cost of trucking it etc. You can get some real bargains if you have more time than money & can do the work yourself. I recommend the complete illustrated Sailboat maintenance manual by Don Casey to help you with your refit. With the skills you have you should be able to sort it out without much difficulty.
For example we looked at a popular 26ft sailboat locally that sells used for about $10k that had a hull fracture from going on the rocks. Sold for $1800 at auction minus engine. We estimated repair with a used engine at $2000 ( but a few weeks work) As sailboat prices are lower in your country & labour costs are higher I'm sure you could do better.
all the best on yr quest
Old 03-07-2015, 21:25   #13

email me Dan@dcvintagecycles.com I have a 32' project in Annapolis MD. Nothing too difficult, but def. a three weeks work for 3 people... Westsail style boat with full keel and cutter rig.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:20   #14

I have an Ericson 27 that we might easily be able to work out a deal on. I have been fixing it up for a few years now. Stripped the hull completely, 3 coats of epoxy and painted. The topsides are partially done. Cushions are old but good. Sails are old but good. Boat is in the water now at the south end of Lake Champlain in VT. Give me a shout. 802-238-1217
Old 04-07-2015, 04:40   #15

I have a 1976 30ft Tartan. I have not used her in 2 1/2 years. I'm just off the Potomac river near the mouth of the bay.

Email me at teri1919@gmail.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	104645  

Tags
kids