Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2013, 04:41   #46

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now
Re: Wife Said SELL the boat!

Sometimes in life, one must put aside the things one enjoys to attend the important things.

My 82 year old father-in-law, who lives with us, is in failing health with prostrate cancer. My wife says she needs me around the house to help care for him. I doubt he will be with us this time next year. I was surprised to see how frail he looked when I saw him yesterday when we got home from the boat. This is not the only reason my wife explained to me, but its the big one.

I dont really want to sell my boat, but living so far away from the ocean makes having it hauled out and put on the hard somewhere is not appealing to me either. I have seen hauled out boats sitting in marinas wasting away from neglect and scavengers, and the same for those sitting tied to a dock or a mooring ball, covered with birdshit and growing its own eco-system from the hull down to the sea floor. I dont want to see this happen to my boat.

I'll take 10k for my sailboat. Its not the "perfect" boat, but its a damn good sturdy vessel that really needs nothing to keep on sailing. Its well equipped, and is as "turnkey" as it gets. Not to mention, its currently located in Key West, one of the best jumping off point to anywhere in the world. For a live aboard. ya got what ya need already in place. A great little dingy, with a great little merc outboard to get ya around the bight, with a great little folding bike to get ya around on the hard. The mooring its on is city owned and cost $300 and change a month. Or you could move it around to the other side, anchor out, and live with the pirates and theives for free.

Yes, I could bring it back to northwest Mississippi, but there really isnt any place close by to sail it. This Seafarer needs an open ocean, as it was built strong to be in an open ocean, not floating around in one of the small local lakes we have here.

I will get another boat one day, I'm not finished with this sailing stuff, but for now this one has to go. If I cannot sell it, I will take it on to Bermuda as planned, and leave it with family I have there and fly home.
Old 30-05-2013, 04:57   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wife Said SELL the boat!

Hi BO... bumma about the F in L... I figure your making the right moves for the situation mate.. as you say... the Oceans there waiting and not going anywhere soon...
Looking forward to your return... unless I'm away having a few beers with your F in L by the time you hit the water again

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 30-05-2013, 04:58   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
BlackOak

I went down that same thorny trail with my Mom and Dad a few years back. You are doing the right thing! God always seems to reward good deeds.

In the interim there are some fun micro cruisers you can trailer to the lakes up that way.

All the best

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 04-06-2013, 09:13   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibaba.e View Post
Sell the Wife, keep the boat
nah...i got a real keeper!!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:17   #50

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Guys...be nice to BlackOak's wife! She might have very compelling reasons, for requesting the sale the boat, that we are not privy to. He is in a less than ideal situation that is stressful enough; don't add to it. Try to be understanding! Mauritz
Old 04-06-2013, 11:19   #51
Marine Service Provider

Sounds like a few have never been in a meaningful relationship...
Old 04-06-2013, 11:29   #52

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Sorry about your situation BO.

If I had $10K I would buy the boat in a heartbeat.

Maybe your family in Bermuda could borrow the boat for a while, and be able to do the upkeep for you until your situation changed?

Best wishes in whatever happens!
Old 05-06-2013, 12:33   #53

no worries guys, i'm doin just fine. if I can sell the boat then fine, if not, well thats fine too. My beautiful bride just wants me home and not out floating around, which I can understand. I told her I could put it up on the hard, but she says that would not be a good idea, as I would be worried about the boat (damages, thief, vandalism, etc kinda thing) the whole time I am at home. Plus, we all know a boat that is not regularly used deteriorates over time. She retires from her job in a couple years, so I hope by then to get another one. This one needs to be doing what it was built to do, be on the water and sailed...not sitting unattended somewhere.

ps. maybe havent sailed it to Bermuda as planned, but I have been nearly 90% on the boat in the saltwater. It been great, puncuated by periods or shear terror for a nub like me.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:42   #54
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
nah...i got a real keeper!!
That good huh....??
SELL THE BOAT....

Old 05-06-2013, 12:44   #55

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Blackoak.

Here is a crazy idea and thats all it may be .

What after a while you still have not sold your boat, which you say is ready for cruising, you donate it to a worthy candidate.? The candidate would have to want to sail around the world. How to chose such a candidate would need some figuring.

To compensate your good self a fund could be set up to deposit some monies into, by those following the adventures of the new skipper ?

It may not be the best option but it would mean some lucky/deserving individual gets a shot at living the dream. Also the yacht will not rot away abandoned somewhere?

Just thinking out loud....
Old 05-06-2013, 12:50   #56
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

MEMEMEMEMEMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Just kidding... go for the cash...

Old 05-06-2013, 13:20   #57
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

"Sometimes in life, one must put aside the things one enjoys to attend the important things. etc..."

BO, that's gotta be one of the best sailboat listings I've ever read. Serious.

Best of luck with it. Think it will go quick.

Old 05-06-2013, 13:29   #58

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Thumbs up Re: Wife Said SELL the boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
a wife normally never likes a man's mistress
You got that right. Don't get caught down at the dock whispering sweet nothings and getting creative in her engine room.

Todd
Old 05-06-2013, 14:39   #59

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Or in my case, "fudigs" -- I'm going sailing!"

This is why I'm a fan of boat surveys (even though the one I got was badly done) -- lots of times, people hold on to their boats for emotional reasons and turn a blind eye to what's deteriorating.
Total Deja vu!
Like, my thoughts exactly from preceeding post.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:32   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
Blackoak.

Here is a crazy idea and thats all it may be .

What after a while you still have not sold your boat, which you say is ready for cruising, you donate it to a worthy candidate.? The candidate would have to want to sail around the world. How to chose such a candidate would need some figuring.

To compensate your good self a fund could be set up to deposit some monies into, by those following the adventures of the new skipper ?

It may not be the best option but it would mean some lucky/deserving individual gets a shot at living the dream. Also the yacht will not rot away abandoned somewhere?

Just thinking out loud....
While in theory it does sound good, but if a person has not taken the time, effort and energy to aquire a sailing vessel "by the sweat of ones brow" I do not feel they are deserving of being gifted one. Call me old fashion or old values.