Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2009, 20:12   #1

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
WTB: 12v Watermaker

Have been looking at the Spectra and Village Marine systems, but am interested in any of the models out there if you have something slightly used available shoot me a message!

Thanks
Old 26-07-2009, 22:48   #2

Boat: Irwin- Barefoot 37CC (Custom MK V) "Quest"
I have used an Aqua Marine made in Deer Harbor WA for 9 years in my boat and it has worked just fine. It is a less expensive 600 GPD unit that I needed because of limited installation space, I have different components scattered al over the boat.

Check them out

Aquamarine, Inc - Home

Joe S
Old 27-07-2009, 04:47   #3

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
If you buy new ..... you might want to take a look at SK Watermakers' products. They are reasonably priced, simple, reliable and easy to service.

Good luck, Bill A.
Old 27-07-2009, 05:04   #4

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
I'll check them out, looks like most places want you to call for prices. About the cheapest I have been able to find is the Katadyn 160 for $4,000, I like thedsign of the Spectra a little better, but both of the units youguys mentioned look like they would get the job done as well, just need to get some prices.

Thanks!
Old 27-07-2009, 05:21   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
A slightly used watermaker worth investing in would be a rare find. Low hours rarely equate to a good buy. It's been my experience that the majority of used watermakers are either worn out from use or have been left unattended and neglected for so long that the cost to buy, then repair them doesn't make sense. Finding a used Spectra without buying the whole boat is almost impossible. Finding a used Village Marine or other brand is a lot easier. Knowing what your watermaker needs are is as important as saving money. Cheap initial cost, as in many things, does not always mean a savings in the long run. There are a lot of questions to ask yourself before you slap any ol watermaker into your boat. Getting the right answers to the questions that relate to you and your boat, not someone else and their boat, will be the difference between an investment that you are either glad you have or one that you will kick yourself for making.