Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 04:43   #1

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38
WTB: Push-in Fuel Line Swivel Fittings 5/16

Hello!

I was doing some fuel system upgrades and messed up my fittings (stripped the threads). The line is a bit of an odd size 5/16". Trying to replace, and while line is easy enough to source (defender has it), I can't seem to find the fittings anywhere - defender, McMaster, local car parts stores...

Anyone know where to buy them? Have any flying around? And what are they called, btw?

Has to be swivel fittings (so I can attach it to lift pump and whatever else without turning the entire line).
They look like Parker push-lok or aeroquip, but Google shopping doesn't turn up any in 5/16" size.

Here's a photo of what I destroyed:Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1457700183.877119.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	120464
It's the barbed fitting that goes into the hose, the one with the yellow ring.

Thank you very much!
Anton
Old 11-03-2016, 05:00   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: WTB: Push-in Fuel Line Swivel Fittings 5/16

I had Parker fittings in 5/16" but changed to 3/8" when redoing the fuel system.
p.s. the thread compound looks like the ordinary type which isn't good for diesel. Look for something like Permatex high temp thread compound, which is the highest grade rated for diesel.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:30   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm not saying it's not, but 5/16" would be a little unusual, is it possible that it's metric?
Old 11-03-2016, 05:40   #4

WTB: Push-in Fuel Line Swivel Fittings 5/16

It is 5/16: Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1457703425.772766.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	120465
Not sure why they did it this way.

I pulled the hoses, any reason I should stay with 5/16 and not go up to 3/8 (other than the fact that the 4' line will hold twice as much fuel, so any messing around will be twice as messy)? Engine (35B three) allows 1/4-3/8 line in.

In which case the question remains - where do I find the 3/8 size push in swivel fittings?

Thanks again!
Old 11-03-2016, 05:53   #5

The goop you see in the photo is Hercules megaloc, recommended by Maine sail in his posts on diesel tanks, lines, and fittings...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-03-2016, 07:07   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I understand the hose is 5'16", but it's the fitting your talking about.
What I would do is take the old hose to a hydraulic shop, lots of autoparts stores in Rural areas can do hoses too, and have a hose made. Probably overkill, but my next suggestion would likely get people up in arms, and that would be to go to the home improvement store and get a barbed fitting, and use a hose clamp on the hose.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:30   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
my next suggestion would likely get people up in arms, and that would be to go to the home improvement store and get a barbed fitting, and use a hose clamp on the hose.
Guilty of that exact thing when I replaced my fuel hose. It's not like there's a lot of pressure in the line, force or torque on the fitting. It just has to not leak and be fuel proof which would apply to any cheap brass fitting.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:35   #8

Boat: islandpacket

I agree. The hose does little to tell you what the fitting is. Other than its close. Take the fitting out and have it measured. Also posting the engine and boat type may jog some memories.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:42   #9

Engine access is such a pain, so that fitting has to be swiveled. I'm told fitting sizes match hose sizes (if that's not true - can you please suggest a place to get those "mismatched" ones). Once hose is place, it's certainly easier to disconnect and reconnect the swivel ones, I'm still ironing out the kinks in the racors and what not. Everything is very tight (space usually is tight on boats, and the places these lines are routed is no exception), and it's just so much more convenient to work with those than with clamped barbs...

Old 11-03-2016, 07:50   #10

Boat: islandpacket

Yes, they are supposed to match. But how do you tell thread size? Metric? Barb metric? Just offering suggestions.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:59   #11

Boat was repowered professionally under PO's ownership somewhere in MA in 2005. I'm guessing it would be too intentionally evil to make them metric...

Old 11-03-2016, 08:35   #12

Boat: Reliance 44

Northwest Hydra-Line has the 5/16th hose barb x 5/16" jic. fitting Part number JF-5-5 . The elbow does not need to be replaced. But they would have it if you needed to. Their phone number is 800-426-8339. They are in Auburn, WA. They sell through distribution, so ask who is in your area.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:35   #13

Santa - engine is a westerbeke 35b three from 2005. Only has 300 hrs on it now, I wasn't explained what the reason for repower was (this job + the economy situation in 2008 put the seller in some debt, I suppose, so he wasn't super talkative or happy about selling - I was dealing with his broker; my understanding is the PO maintained the boat well, and in the end took home less than half of the sale proceeds, sadly, the rest went to the yards). Boat is a lecomte NE38.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:58   #14

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoha View Post
Hello!

I was doing some fuel system upgrades and messed up my fittings (stripped the threads). The line is a bit of an odd size 5/16". Trying to replace, and while line is easy enough to source (defender has it), I can't seem to find the fittings anywhere - defender, McMaster, local car parts stores...

Anyone know where to buy them? Have any flying around? And what are they called, btw?

Has to be swivel fittings (so I can attach it to lift pump and whatever else without turning the entire line).
They look like Parker push-lok or aeroquip, but Google shopping doesn't turn up any in 5/16" size.

Here's a photo of what I destroyed:Attachment 120464
It's the barbed fitting that goes into the hose, the one with the yellow ring.

Thank you very much!
Anton
Pictured is a "Brass 5/16" female swivel insert adapter" for fuel hose.
It is screwed onto a Brass 1/4" NPT male x 5/16" 45deg flare 90 deg elbow.

Commonly available at auto speed shops & other fuel line supply places. They are even supplied by Racor.
They are available in 1/4",5/16" & 3/8" hose size & Flare 45 sizes.

I have several 5/16 of these in my VP 2003/ Racor fuel system.
5/16" is not as common a size as 1/4 & 3/8 these days but still a common fuel hose size & plenty large enough to supply your 3 banger.
I stayed with 5/16" because the original CAV filter & line that came on my boat was 5/16"( or metric equiv-don't know) & I could re-use some existing items.
You could change to 3/8" if you wish but no need IMHO

BUT-use a hose clamp or 2 on each barb--just to be safe.Rubber tends to get funny a few yrs down the road.

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/engin...ilter-fittings

This mfgr calls them Grip Tite http://www.fairviewfittings.com/prod...-pressure.html

Cheers/ Len
Old 11-03-2016, 10:49   #15

deblen - thank you! oh, but how do you know it's 45deg flare rather than 37deg jic? is there any markings you're seeing that make you say that? spot on as to the rest.
thanks again!

Tags
fuel