Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 07:15   #16
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: 2 Inexperienced Girls Wanting to Work Hard and Travel

Quote:
. i dont mean to be sexist,but in my experince most girls entering the industry with no qualifications,generally do it by sleeping with the captain or engineer so as to get their first job,and foot in the door.............
Old 05-09-2014, 07:20   #17

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

It may be male-dominated, but there are many exceptional women in boating. Some are well known, many are not. An old friend of mine studied at a maritime academy, got her master mariner's certificate (unlimited), and captained large vessels all over the world before settling in on a replica cargo sloop giving tours. She is beautiful and charming, but it was her skills and hard work that got her there.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:01   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgieflick View Post
Hello everyone,

Me and my friend are new to this site and wanted some advice on how to become part of a crew.
Me has a nice boat and me are looking for crew. My wife prefers to have young, inexperienced women for help sailing to exotic tropical destinations. Unfortunately, her and me cannot tolerate people who use pronouns incorrectly. Us thinks it indicates a general attitude of laziness and inattention. When the going gets rough, people with this attitude sometimes makes we loose our tempers.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:07   #19

Boat: Hunter 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
unfortunately the sailing industry is a pretty much male dominated industry.

i was hanging out in palma d'mallorca yesterday with the "gilma "supermaxi crew, onboard were 5 blokes,and one very tough looking girl.

i have 2 girlfriends who are superyacht captains,but they are exceptions ,rather than the norm.

i dont mean to be sexist,but in my experince most girls entering the industry with no qualifications,generally do it by sleeping with the captain or engineer so as to get their first job,and foot in the door.............
Really atoll? I CAN tell you this...I just bought my FIRST sailboat in March of this year, with little sailiing experience. I only sailed with my boyfriend on his boat for a year. I bought a 30 foot Hunter - yes a 30 ft sailboat. I still consider myself a novice but I can launch, dock AND sail my boat ALONE!!!!!! I can sail her at 6.2 knots with the rail 6 inches from the water. When I get more experienced nad better at sailing, the rail will be under the water. I work on it ALONE, I sail it ALONE, raise the sails ALONE, take the sails down ALONE, replace the sheets, topping lift and furling line ALONE!! I adjust and tune the rigging ALONE. Change belts and oil ALONE. Sand and refinish the teak ALONE! Drop the 35 lb CQR anchor and retrieve it ALONE! And guess what???? I didn't sleep with ANYBODY to be able to do that. I take offense to what you said. I also belong to the local Yacht Club and there are SO many women that sail and boat there that we have our own group - Women on the Water. Shame on you for insinuating that sailing is male dominated - ESPECIALLY to two girls that are interested enough and brave enough to post on this forum. I'm not a young girl either, so if I can do it any woman can - if that is what they WANT to do. Anyway - just my two cents. Maybe you just posted those comments to stir up trouble on here. If so...shame on you - again.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:13   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
Me has a nice boat and me are looking for crew............
This is funny. Fortunately, a small grammatical error will have no effect when it comes to a crew position.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:20   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingodyssey View Post
Really atoll? I CAN tell you this...I just bought my FIRST sailboat in March of this year, with little sailiing experience. I only sailed with my boyfriend on his boat for a year. I bought a 30 foot Hunter - yes a 30 ft sailboat. I still consider myself a novice but I can launch, dock AND sail my boat ALONE!!!!!! I can sail her at 6.2 knots with the rail 6 inches from the water. When I get more experienced nad better at sailing, the rail will be under the water. I work on it ALONE, I sail it ALONE, raise the sails ALONE, take the sails down ALONE, replace the sheets, topping lift and furling line ALONE!! I adjust and tune the rigging ALONE. Change belts and oil ALONE. Sand and refinish the teak ALONE! Drop the 35 lb CQR anchor and retrieve it ALONE! And guess what???? I didn't sleep with ANYBODY to be able to do that. I take offense to what you said. I also belong to the local Yacht Club and there are SO many women that sail and boat there that we have our own group - Women on the Water. Shame on you for insinuating that sailing is male dominated - ESPECIALLY to two girls that are interested enough and brave enough to post on this forum. I'm not a young girl either, so if I can do it any woman can - if that is what they WANT to do. Anyway - just my two cents. Maybe you just posted those comments to stir up trouble on here. If so...shame on you - again.
i take it you don't,or never have WORKED in the yachting industry,my post was not meant to be taken out of context,and referred specifically to persons wanting to WORK in the industry.

i also have many very capable female friends who own and sail their own boats,some single handed.

but unfortunately it is a fact of life,as a female you are at a distinct disadvantage in the industry untill you get some qualifications.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:24   #22

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

wait, wait, wait....Atoll has 2 girlfriends? And they both have yachts?
Old 05-09-2014, 08:30   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
wait, wait, wait....Atoll has 2 girlfriends? And they both have yachts?
i belive in equality,so if it means sleeping with the captain and cooking to go sailing.......i'm up for it
Old 05-09-2014, 08:34   #24

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
Me has a nice boat and me are looking for crew. My wife prefers to have young, inexperienced women for help sailing to exotic tropical destinations. Unfortunately, her and me cannot tolerate people who use pronouns incorrectly. Us thinks it indicates a general attitude of laziness and inattention. When the going gets rough, people with this attitude sometimes makes we loose our tempers.
Ouch! We don't even know if English is their first language yet.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:34   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
And you know this...how?
He said in his experience didn't he?
Old 05-09-2014, 08:45   #26

"When I get more experienced nad better at sailing, the rail will be under the water."

Not usually an objective among more experienced sailors, but whatever...
Old 05-09-2014, 08:49   #27

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
"When I get more experienced nad better at sailing, the rail will be under the water."

Not usually an objective among more experienced sailors, but whatever...
Especially since it slows you down and means your current sail set up is over powered for the conditions.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:58   #28

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Now if they said two inexperienced people, but no, they said 23 year old GIRLS.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:36   #29
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
He said in his experience didn't he?
True, he did mention the wet and wild of his "third-legged" trip
Old 05-09-2014, 10:38   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgieflick View Post
Hello everyone,

Me and my friend are new to this site and wanted some advice on how to become part of a crew. We are both 23 and wanting to get our there and travel. We are both very dedicated and don't mind rolling up our sleeves and working. I was just wondering the best way to go about getting a job on a boat. We really just want to get some experience and see the world. If anyone has any suggestions please leave a message. Thank you
Howdy and Welcome to this forum.

As you read the responses from others, you will see some good advice, some ribbing, and some attempts at humor (some at your expense).

Here are my sincere suggestions to help you:

First, my general comment is that you need to post more information, including more about your own skills and ability to contribute something to the situation.

Specific suggestions:

1. Post where you are coming from (your point of origin, or "home port") and whether you are willing to travel (at your expense) to the place where the boats may be (if they are leaving on voyages).

2. Consider your own skills and attributes and post those too. Can you cook? Are you willing to do hard/dirty work? What if any boat skills or experience do you have?

3. Are you willing to contribute to the costs of travel? Some boat owners take on crew that share expenses (food, fuel, etc.) when making voyages. Do you expect to get paid for your time on the boat or are you willing to pay for passage (even if that is $20/day)? Address these points in your profile or post.

4. Look at the Crew Wanted sections of forums (there is one here on this site too) and other "crew" sites too.

5. Post a photo of yourselves.

6. Be prepared to provide references of previous work etc.

7. If you do not currently have ANY sailing experience, I highly suggest you start with some "crewing" experience wherever you are now. Build your experience prior to taking the "round the world" trip on a boat.

Good luck!

Tags
enc