Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 12:30   #31

Re: 2 Inexperienced Girls Wanting to Work Hard and Travel

Post up some pics, and more info. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2014, 12:37   #32
cruiser

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades

Georgieflick, I live in the Fort Lauderdale area and am also a female. I can tell you that there is a lot of opportunity in the area. There are also a lot of ....sketchy, for lack of better words... people out there that are more than happy to "teach" two young females how to "sail". Just be careful and choosy with who you work with. If you need me to check anybody out let me know. I have contacts and can ask around (or I might know them). Overall, the boating world is a laid-back, welcoming, happy place with people that fit that description as well, but just be mindful in your adventures. Happy sailing!
Old 07-09-2014, 09:53   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

shame shame we are letting these ladies down by reducing them to their sex!? for me, and i am married no better way to learn yacht management, as sailing is only part if skill we heed to go cruising, best learned by diving into the deep end. I liveaboard in east Africa and havent been in a marina in 6 years, now that is to me best environment to learn yacht management.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-09-2014, 10:10   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingodyssey View Post
Drop the 35 lb CQR anchor and retrieve it ALONE!
But can you do it in a 40kt blow on a lee shore with a parted furling line???

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 13-09-2014, 09:10   #35

Boat: Tayana 47

Atolls post may sound sexist but it's honest, for better or worse. He didn't say or even imply that a woman is inherently any less capable of owning or operating a sailboat than a man, and I think that those who jumped to that conclusion should ask themselves WHY! Sexist, anger issues maybe?

Yes, it's possible for a young woman to get an entry level job without sleeping with the captain, but the fact is, when you get to know lots of crews running big yachts, a very large percentage of the time the captain is sleeping with one of the crew. There just aren't a lot of unattached, single females working as yacht crewmembers but I don't get the feeling that they are there any more unwillingly than the men. That shouldn't be any big surprise since the crew of a big yacht basically live together and are constantly moving so whether you are an experienced captain or wet behind the ear, newly hired crew, it's pretty near impossible to develop a relationship with anyone else who is on another boat or ashore. If he (it's almost always a he and not a she) needs to hire an entry level person that doesn't require a high level of skill or prior experience, and he has met someone he's attracted to ashore or has just started dating someone, that person naturally has a "leg up" on other applicants, and once they are living aboard, pretty well isolated from a social life with anyone else, is it any surprise that by mutual agreement things often move on to sharing a berth? That's very often the way it is in the real world but doesn't mean it's an absolute requirement for the job or that these young women should expect to have to sleep with the captain as part of their job interview. Atoll just gave them a helpful hint as to what to expect out there in the real world of working as crew on yachts. He didn't make it up or say that's how it should be, just that its the way it really is.
Old 13-09-2014, 09:29   #36

SailingOdyssey, "I only sailed with my boyfriend on his boat for a year."

So your boyfriend, the captain helped get you started in your sailing pursuits?
Old 13-09-2014, 09:32   #37
Marine Service Provider

maybe i missed something where are the two ladies that want to learn sail, they want to learn sail, or cruise?

Old 13-09-2014, 11:32   #38

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Love these trollolol threads started by a poster with one single post!

Old 13-09-2014, 12:31   #39

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogHunter View Post
Georgieflick, I live in the Fort Lauderdale area and am also a female. I can tell you that there is a lot of opportunity in the area. There are also a lot of ....sketchy, for lack of better words... people out there that are more than happy to "teach" two young females how to "sail". Just be careful and choosy with who you work with. If you need me to check anybody out let me know. I have contacts and can ask around (or I might know them). Overall, the boating world is a laid-back, welcoming, happy place with people that fit that description as well, but just be mindful in your adventures. Happy sailing!

Ladies,

This is good advice. Please be careful and screen if you find crew positions. It is easy to disappear at sea. While I can't say I know cruisers that are shady no doubt they're out there. Don't end up a statistic like the two German young ladies that caught a ride with an inexperienced captain and paid with their lives in New Zealand.

SC
Old 13-09-2014, 12:45   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Love these trollolol threads started by a poster with one single post!

Sometime the answers to the first post here are of the kind assuring the post will remain two-in-one: the first and the last...
Old 13-09-2014, 13:11   #41

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Go to www.findacrew.net
You might get a ride there

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
Old 16-09-2014, 14:49   #42

Georgieflick,

I think amid some of the chatter in these replies there is some sound advice. As much as I don't care for generalities, sailing is rather dominated by men. Beyond that the majority of offers you are likely to get will be from single men who are looking for help with a bit more than just sailing the boat... especially if the crew is two 23yo women. So unless you are down with being stuck out on the ocean not knowing how to sail by yourselves with an overly amorous captain I might suggest looking for either an older married couple, a gay couple, or a woman captain. Use your judgement in accepting an offer. You're not desperate to crew. Be patient and look for the right situation. Fair Winds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16-09-2014, 22:28   #43
Marine Service Provider

shouldnt we just stop patronizing women as if they got no sense for themselves. I assure you there are many couples these days, properly kegally married who enjoy toy boy or girk fir their extra exitement ride! There is no end to the different sexual or other dangers in our modern society. Anyone going to sail must realize, that sailing cruising is very individual experience organized by different individuaks who individually interprete information gained tru reading, school, actual sailing, actual life! Realize that a yacht is a poor replacement for spacious homes, where you step outside on solid ground with all what modern society has to offer within reach, while when you step outside yacht you got water, you got to get yourself to land, and that might be beautiful beach area without shops.... To sail cruise firces one to be independent, make independent decisions, be largely self-sustaining. In such an environment those personalities that clash on a simple backpack trail will be much more challenged! Wether it is boys or girls, common sense has it that you dont just get on a yacht, you get as much info as you can about the yacht, the personalities on board fir the cruise, the sailing itinirary, will it be very cgallenging in cruising areas without facilities fir yachts, fir modern entertainment! I have seen travellers go into depression when they arrive at African bundus backpacker and discover they dont have wifi! So please no more patronizing

Old 16-09-2014, 22:36   #44

Boat: Peterson Islander 40

Most of the advice given is correct. Put it out there. Just be careful and use your intuition. No one can hear you scream out on the ocean.
Old 16-09-2014, 22:48   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I think that warning them is considering them, not patronising them. How would it be if we all said nothing and something happened to them?

Coops.

Tags
enc