Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2016, 09:58   #1

Anywhere In The World, January 1st. Can Share Expenses

Couple, Jake and Emily, both 24 years old, looking to crew starting in January or February 2017. We are completely flexible till fall of 2017 when we will begin graduate school. (Jake for WaSH Engineering and Emily for Medical Genetics) Available to fly to any location in the world and will cover travel expenses. Looking for deep water sailing experience, but up for any adventure. Willing to join crew, cooking and chore rotations. We both have inland lake sailing experience on a variety of boats from Sunfish to 35ft sloops.

About us:
No Smoking/ no drugs
Little or no alcohol (although we do enjoy good wine)
Well Travelled/ well read (combined 30+ countries in Central America, Europe, Africa, and Asia)
Laid back, good humoured, and easy going (yet dependable and level headed with attention to detail)
Very Physically fit, tough, and hard working - we don't mind long, midnight shifts in hot or cold weather
Clean, organized, and efficient with good hygiene habits
We pack light and carry minimal gear
First Aid, CPR, AED Certified (Class in April 2016)

About Emily:
Molecular biologist and analytical chemist in a government research lab
Electrofishing boat experience and experience in marine wildlife identification
Working proficiency in Spanish
Amazing cook and artist

About Jake:
Project manager and mechanical engineer with preventative maintenaince, plumbing, and design experience
Enjoys working with hand tools and troubleshooting faulty equipment
Conversational French. Can also supply terrible Italian and Spanish on demand
Comes with own hot sauce supply and boat friendly, travel edition of Settlers of Catan

Additional things we can offer:
Extensive Tutoring Experience (if you have children aboard)
Hiking, treking, and SCUBA partners (both NAUI certified)
A host of travel stories and bad puns
A dogged interest in everything the world has to offer

We are posting early as our alternate plan for this time block is to drive to Tierra Del Fuego from Wisconsin.
Old 29-03-2016, 11:14   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Anywhere In The World, January 1st. Can Share Expenses

Jake and Emily,
Pls send me an email to review further.
aroundoceans at gmail com
Old 29-03-2016, 11:21   #3

Message Sent!
Old 31-03-2016, 12:31   #4

Boat: Comar Comet 460

Hi
I'm looking for crew to sail from the uk to Greece let me no if this is of interest
James

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-03-2016, 12:43   #5

This is definitely of interest, especially as most of the graduate programs that I am considering are based in the UK. I have spent a fair amount of time hanging around the Mediterranean on various backpacking trips. A little more than a week around different beaches in Sardegna and some time on the Adriatic and Ionian from Albania to Croatia, although this may be out of scope of your adventure. Do you have any further information? Dates, boat, expense sharing, etc.
Old 31-03-2016, 13:46   #6

Boat: Comar Comet 460

Dates are pretty flexible planing on leaving uk mid to end of April.
The boat is a Comar comet460
The plan was to share expenses
Pm me if you are still interested
James

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-04-2016, 12:55   #7

Boat: Kurt Hughes designed 57' cat.

Hi, I spend part of the year on my 57' Kurt Hughes designed cat in the Bahamas and plan to sail to the Caribbean in Dec. and spend the season. Your resume says your available in Jan. Does that mean Jan. 1st.? could it be pushed up any? I would look forward to hearing from you by e-mail if your interested Thanks Russell
Old 02-04-2016, 14:26   #8

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

No matter what you do , don't drive. Central America is no longer what it was, at least in the interior.

That said, should your plans ever change, I could use a reliable couple from Oct 2017 to Sept 2018 to go from Spain/N. Africa to Japan/S.Korea via PC, west coast NA and the NP.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rduncanson View Post
Hi, I spend part of the year on my 57' Kurt Hughes designed cat in the Bahamas and plan to sail to the Caribbean in Dec. and spend the season. Your resume says your available in Jan. Does that mean Jan. 1st.? could it be pushed up any? I would look forward to hearing from you by e-mail if your interested Thanks Russell
Rduncanson, yes, we are looking to quit around January 1st, but are a little flexible. I'll fully respond in an email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntlessny View Post
No matter what you do , don't drive. Central America is no longer what it was, at least in the interior.

That said, should your plans ever change, I could use a reliable couple from Oct 2017 to Sept 2018 to go from Spain/N. Africa to Japan/S.Korea via PC, west coast NA and the NP.
Dauntlessny, thanks for the advice. We have plenty of people telling us the same and are weighing the risks. Luckily, we have plenty of contacts throughout Central America and plan to quickly 'pass over' a few of the countries if we end up driving instead of sailing. Your offer is really tempting. If we end up sailing, we may want to stay on the road for more than 6 months. Our primary constraint would be financial... we will only be able to save a given amount by this January, and I'm afraid we may not have enough for 18 months of sailing.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:02   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 54

Hi,
Not sure if you are still interested or on the road to Terra Del fuego . We will be transiting the Panama canal late April then on to
The Galapagos , Marquesas Tuamotos, Tonga an home to New Zealand. I am retired and taking my boat home. A careful skipper
a interested in safety rather than speed.Having said that we will not be spending a lot of time at each place as. I would like to be
Close to home by July . Watevaworx is a Benereau 54ft new in 2011 and quite comfortable and pretty well equiped.We will be offline until the 18th of April to check replies but you could try watevaworx@my iridium.net
Good luck in your travels. Glenn