Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2009, 06:38   #46

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagypsy15 View Post
How do you find a skipper who doesn't just want a galley slave or someone to keep his bed warm?
Has this question been answered? What was the procedure?
Old 22-02-2009, 08:19   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagypsy15 View Post
I've been told I'm somewhat of a rarity - a woman that wants to sail. So why am I not sailing? How do you find a skipper who doesn't just want a galley slave or someone to keep his bed warm? I've tried internet dating sites but there are darn few sailors on there - no doubt because they're off somewhere sailing without me
OK, here's my take on this.

To begin with, I don't think a woman who wants to sail is a rarity. Some of the best sailors I know are women. It might have been a rarity 50 years ago, but not so much now.

I think the reason that some people got a little hostile or misunderstood your intentions is the fact that your initial post is ambiguous at best and contradictory at worst. Also, it is a bit off-putting to address a group of sailors with the question, "Are there honourable sailors?" The question itself conveys the assumption that there don't seem to be (to you).

On the one hand, you seem to be against the possibility of any kind of romantic/physical relationship with the skipper (nothing wrong with that!), but then in the very next sentence you say that you've tried "internet dating sites." That's where it gets confusing.

It just seems to me that you could have been a little more clear in what you're looking for.

If you're just looking to crew on somebody's boat to gain sailing experience, I think you should just have posted that, without all the other stuff. Then, weed through the responses to see who's genuine and who's just looking for the "galley slave" or "bed warmer."

I also like the idea of getting your own boat, then taking lessons or joining a sailing club.

Whatever you do, I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your efforts, and I hope it works out well for you.

Cheers
Old 22-02-2009, 08:25   #48

The same type of horny ill mannered males exist in the sailing crowd as elsewhere and I suspect that a fair amount of sailors are not the least bit sexist of looking for a roll in the hay when they think of females and sailing and neither are the looking for a galley slave.

It's the loud mouths and mis-behaving ones who get the attention while the well mannered sail on unnoticed.

There is no reason why sailing should and does not appeal to females, but it takes one who feels OK with mechanical skill sets, something no encouraged in our culture and so fewer females seem to be open to the experience except as "companions" and hence seen as doing the normal things females are expected to do.

Drop the traditional expectations and get more bang for your buck.
Old 22-02-2009, 09:00   #49

There are horny ill mannered females out there too. Horny is not such a bad thing but dealing with the ill mannered ones is easy enough, just keep walking.
Old 03-03-2009, 18:54   #50

Try Find a Crew. lots of chances there
Old 04-03-2009, 14:15   #51

Boat: Riviera 35
I wonder what Sandra Bullock would be like in the galley?
Old 05-03-2009, 16:25   #52

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
Wait a second, I'll ask her..........she told me to shut up and go warm the v-berth. Talk later ;<).