Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2009, 06:47   #1

Are there honourable sailors?

I've been told I'm somewhat of a rarity - a woman that wants to sail. So why am I not sailing? How do you find a skipper who doesn't just want a galley slave or someone to keep his bed warm? I've tried internet dating sites but there are darn few sailors on there - no doubt because they're off somewhere sailing without me
Old 23-01-2009, 06:58   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hello, Sea Gypsy. Welcome to the Forum!

Well, posting here is a good start--our members are the most honourable sailors on the Internet!

In Annapolis, MD, there's an organization called Single on Sailboats that has a great reputation for bringing together single adults for daysailing and cruising events. A good friend of mine met a female sailor there, and now they're married and cruising all over. Maybe they have something similar in Canada.

Best of luck, and good to have you here!
Old 23-01-2009, 08:52   #3

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
In Annapolis, MD, there's an organization called Single on Sailboats that has a great reputation for bringing together single adults for daysailing and cruising events. A good friend of mine met a female sailor there, and now they're married and cruising all over. Maybe they have something similar in Canada.

Best of luck, and good to have you here!
Welcome and in regards to the suggestion above, maybe if there is not such a website , there may be an oppotunity there for you to start one??

Good Luck.

My club www.SYClub.ca
Old 23-01-2009, 09:19   #4

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Quote:
Are there honourable sailors?
Yes, just look at me...

Well, actually, I'm not really all that honourable.... And I don't really sail, more like motor... And...

On second thought, that SOS website might be a better option.

Anyways, welcome to the forums. You'll find everything ya need here. Have fun, good luck.

Cheers

Bill
Old 23-01-2009, 09:31   #5

Boat: feeling kerie 10:40
Send a message via AIM to uncle_fred Send a message via MSN to uncle_fred Send a message via Yahoo to uncle_fred Send a message via Skype™ to uncle_fred
i would also say yes there are
Old 23-01-2009, 09:45   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Are there honorable sailors?

Of course there are many, but also a few dishonorable bums. You will find all kinds. When I was doing deliveries many years ago we were always looking for crew members and we hired on women a number of times. They had the same job assignment as male crew.

If they wanted to and had the skills they were welcome to cook. Some did, some after one demonstration were encouraged to take up other jobs. If they didn't want to be the primary cook they took their turn in rotation with the rest of us.

Boating being what it is there will be owners or captains that expect a little extra from the female crew, either in the galley or the cabin. The women I knew in the business kept there street savvy switched on and turned down opportunities that might put them in a potentially bad situation. They generally had a strong personality and no nonsense attitude to back up their status as a crew member and not a bed warmer. Good sailing/crewing skills will prevent a lot of undesirable attention. Harder to defend yourself from "other" requests when all you do is sit on the bow in a bikini getting a tan while the rest of the crew is out hoisting the deck and swabbing the anchor.
Old 23-01-2009, 12:42   #7

Boat: s/v Annapurna (Contessa 26)
Alas, my vessel won't be ready to voyage for at least a year and a half.
Old 23-01-2009, 13:03   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
When do you want to go?. Leaving soon for points wherever
Old 23-01-2009, 13:04   #9

I'd suggest those on internet dating sites would more likely be looking for bed warmers than competent crew.
Old 23-01-2009, 13:19   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Try one of the programs like Womanship that specialize in all-female sailing.

I don't know how to tell you this, but very few men are interested in the company of women for any reason--unless it is sex. Try to find one of those few who is also a boat owner...haha...Good luck.

Try a sailing club where you simply pay to join and share the use of the facilities and boat, instead of looking for a boat owner.
Old 23-01-2009, 13:55   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Here's a suggestion: Get out of Canada and go lounge around the bars of a crusing hub where people have had to come from somewhere and are soon moving on.

Most of the Carribean seems too transient... but Panama (both sides) had a fair few single guys with big boats. Tahiti, Tonga, Fiji would be good ones.

I would think Thailand would be a great spot. Palma de Mallorca in the Med.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 23-01-2009, 15:47   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
for what it's worth...

...if we're talking about cruising, I doubt I'd take on any crew member--male or female--who wasn't willing to lend a hand in the galley.

If you want to be appreciated for your skills, then you've got to have the skills. One way to develop them is to join in on Yacht Club "beer can" races. It's pretty easy to pick up a ride in most clubs, even if you're not a member. Show up early on race night wearing boat shoes, not wearing jeans, and carrying a sail bag with foulies, gloves, a life jacket and your choice of beverages. The rule here is that the more you look like a sailor, the better your chance of becoming one. And realize that most owners of nicer yachts are going to look at your shoes first, caring far more about whether you'll mar the deck than whatever gender you may be affiliated with.
Old 23-01-2009, 17:05   #13

Issues

As a boat owner and skipper, I'll be blunt and say you can't have a berth on my boat.

I've seen your message on other boards. You're not looking for a crew position, and you bring up dating as something you're looking for but say you're not interested in becoming the skipper's mate.

Sounds to me like you want to be skipper and boat owner, but you're sort of looking for your own skipper's mate. Which is a great idea! start by getting yourself a boat, go sailing, go cruising.

If you still have time/money/energy left over for a mate, I'm sure one will show up on the dock looking for a chance to get out on the water.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Old 23-01-2009, 17:15   #14

Boat: PETERSON 44
If your a good movie the crowds will show and buy tickets. Never go to movie that is advertised every 20 minutes on a broadcast channell. If your a good sailor youll get a berth on a boat. If you want to become a good sailor rephrase your question. or google I want to learn to sail or some such.
Old 23-01-2009, 17:45   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
You just have to be straight forward and speak your mind to let potential boat owners or skippers know where you are coming from before you leave the dock. Its all about being a good communicator. Its that simple. You don't need any sort of special groups to do this.

Life begins where land ends.