Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 01:49   #1

Bali to Australia

hello. my name is jimmy, i am 22, and i live in China, Beijing, i am planning on go to Thailand and then Malaysia and Bali and Australia, so my problem is that i want to go from Bali to Australia without flying mainly because i have a lot of time but not alot of money, so i am can either go from Bali to Dampier or i can go to Torres Strait and island hopping make my way down to queensland, i kinda perfer the second way(because i've got no clue how to cross those islands) but doesn't matter which one i'll have to have a boat or a catamaran or anything at all to help me get there and if you are planning something similar please let me know, i am willing to share the expenses and i would love to help out with anything , anyway i can be in bali from late Dec 2010 to mid Feb 2011, so let me know and thanks for reading
Old 03-09-2010, 16:36   #2

Hi there worldcitizen,

It's a great adventure you have planned - I wish you all the best.

December- February is, I believe, right in the middle of hurricane season for that part of the Indian Ocean Bali - Western Australia. I doubt there'll be many, if any people trying to do that passage. But I'm really a newbie, so I could be wrong. All I know is that I got a ride in November, and already people were questioning the wisdom of such a timing.

The way I found a captain was through the website findacrew, although my plan B would have worked as well (and been cheaper - findacrew costs money once you find a captain to get their details) plan B was just going down to the Bali Marina - it's small enough that everyone knows where everyone is going.

Cheers and good luck
Ewan
Old 03-09-2010, 16:40   #3

as far as money goes...

Ocean passages can end up being more expensive than you think. Captains without a licence aren't supposed to charge more than just your costs for food and fuel but some definitely try to. There's some good posts somewhere on this forum about that issue. If I get time later I'll find the link...
Old 04-09-2010, 00:15   #4

Thanks

Thank you for your infomation , i've tred the findacrew.com it's a very nice website , i have sent something out just waiting for someone to give me a answer, when i am in Bali i think i'll give Bali Marina a shot. Thank again !

Tags
Australia