Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2008, 15:31   #1

Best way to cruise from Jacksonville to Exumas

I'm trying to cruse on lcm6 from jacksonville to Exumas. I haven't ride those type of boat before, so I don't know how they do on the ocean.

Thank you.
Old 14-03-2008, 16:12   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Its not clear what you mean by your message. You need to provide more details.
Old 15-03-2008, 06:06   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
By "LCM-6", do you mean the WWII Landing Craft?
The pictured version has been "converted" to a ... (what would you call it, Sean?).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LCM-6.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	2972  

Old 16-03-2008, 06:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Its not clear what you mean by your message. You need to provide more details.
Thanks Pblais. The situation is this: They said the this boat the lcm-6 has 600 gls fuel capcity. Doing 9 knts/h burning 10 gls/h suppose to have at least 500 miles range. My question is what you think to do the cruissing from Jacksonville direct to abacos and then to nassua. Or better to go south to some point to do the cruising by Bimini.

thank you for the comments.
Old 16-03-2008, 08:48   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I have no idea what an LCM-6 is but the numbers you mention do give some concern.

If you looK at an absolute range based on gallons per hour it does not really mean you can do 9 knots in all conditions. In heavy seas you might do 4 knots or maybe even less yet burn 10 gallons per hour. Your actual range is perhaps better stated as 60 hours at some moderate rpms. If the weather is perfectly smooth then you can make 500 miles but not if it isn't. You won't make good 9 knots across the Gulf Stream either. You will drift north by whatever the current is as you cross.

Since I assume you would pick your day to cross then your chances of good weather are far better than just going any time. Obviously what is "better" depends on your own trip plans and how you prefer to clear customs. Having a fuel reserve is a better idea so you need to consider that weather can change quickly and predictions could be wrong or you might have problems.

Jacksonville to Nassau as a straight line is 269 nautcal miles but you would not navigate it that way. The easier way is to head south first then cross the Gulf Stream at a more perpendicular angle giving you better fuel economy. Minimizing the time you spend in the Stream seems a good plan. Heading south first would let you fill the fuel tank before you crossed and save money since fuel would be cheaper in FL. You really don't have enough range to go over and back from Jacksonville on one tank so you'll need fuel some time.

As I say your own plans may make some alternatives better than others but you need to plan based on the weather. Fuel economy and clearing customs are also important too. You want to plan the arrival so you enter at a good time of the day.

Tags
exumas, jacksonville