Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2016, 10:12   #1

Boston Area

Hi All - I moved from Ireland to Boston 3 years ago, grew up on (and in) the Water.
I've been hoping to buy a smaller starter boat, and wanted to first get some experience on the harbor either pleasure sailing, or in a not-too-formal racing environment.
I'm not going to lie - my experience is limited - I learned to sail at CBI this spring (brr!), and am going for my "red rating" at their club.
I am pretty handy with a camera (still & video production), and I also brew my own beer, so can supply post-sailing libations!
I can also mop a deck, and make for some great rail ballast..? :-)
Lastly, I live downtown a 15min bike ride from Charlestown, so last-minute is probably OK too!

Happy to help in any crewing situation that might arise!
Cheers
Cian
Old 31-05-2016, 11:31   #2

Re: Boston Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by cianclarke View Post
Hi All - I moved from Ireland to Boston 3 years ago, grew up on (and in) the Water.
I've been hoping to buy a smaller starter boat, and wanted to first get some experience on the harbor either pleasure sailing, or in a not-too-formal racing environment.
I'm not going to lie - my experience is limited - I learned to sail at CBI this spring (brr!), and am going for my "red rating" at their club.
I am pretty handy with a camera (still & video production), and I also brew my own beer, so can supply post-sailing libations!
I can also mop a deck, and make for some great rail ballast..? :-)
Lastly, I live downtown a 15min bike ride from Charlestown, so last-minute is probably OK too!

Happy to help in any crewing situation that might arise!
Cheers
Cian
Have you looked into sailing clubs in Boston rather than buying a boat?

Boston Sailing - Schools Lessons Certifications - Boston Harbor Sailing Club - Sailboat Racing Moorings Rentals Charters

Boston Sailing Center: Sailing School, Sailing Club - Lessons, Memberships, Racing, Cruising, Charters, Instruction
Old 31-05-2016, 11:41   #3

I have indeed, thanks! BHSC is right next door to me, but understandably I'd need to complete their certification courses before qualifying to take boats out.
Alas, their courses aren't providing ASA certifications, and something non-transferable doesn't really appeal.
BSC is also pretty close, and something I'd certainly consider - their courses are pretty reasonable $$, and give ASA certifications.

I'm actually already sailing in the river basin here with CBI (Community Boating, Inc. - Boston, MA | Sailing for All Since 1946, such a great facility for only a $300/yr membership), and if I can get to the red-rating there I'll be eligible to train on slightly larger boats.

My hope here is to get a feel for what it's like sailing outside of the river basin - buying, or indeed joining a club with access to smaller coastal cruisers is probably premature until next season for me!

Thanks for the links!
Old 31-05-2016, 17:31   #4

Good luck.

I learned to sail at BHSC on a Soling and took all their courses.

I had a Pearson 26 membership for a season and then bought a Pearson 30.

Sent from my VS990 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-06-2016, 11:21   #5

Very cool - what made you take the leap to ownership?
Did you have any issues with availability when you wanted to take the Pearson 26s out?
Old 02-06-2016, 11:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cianclarke View Post
Very cool - what made you take the leap to ownership?
Did you have any issues with availability when you wanted to take the Pearson 26s out?
I always intended to own. I bought the Pearson 30 after a season at the club and the following season bought a Pearson 424 to liveaboard.

While at the club I took out the 26 during the week and one or two weekends a month without any problem. Don't think they still have them.