Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2014, 08:17   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Steel Offshore 44
Business Ideas Needed-Opportunity for Sailors

This post is the result of 18 months of sail boat and other business craziness; anyway here are the facts-

* I currently own 2 sailboats:

1. 44 foot steel Bruce Roberts Offshore currently on the way to the Bahamas
2. 52 foot Kelsall catamaran currently in Cartagena, Columbia

* I was expecting to run the boats in Panama as a business, but alas between the regulations and lack of paying customers did not work

* I am a US citizen living in South Carolina

* I am looking for ideas about how and where to deploy the boats in either day sailing or overnight charter business

* Having spent a ton of money on the boats, and having my former business partner cheat me, I am cash strapped

* I do not have the cash to get the cat USCG inspected, so 6 pax max

* Looking for person/persons to run one/both of the boats somewhere in the US during the summer (east coast) who are licensed and responsible, and either Bahamas, USVI or Puerto Rico in the winter

* Please post any operating ideas you may have

* Please PM me if you are interested in working with me on this project (no cash payment at this time, equity in boats and business are possible)

Thanks.

Mike
Old 20-03-2014, 08:55   #2

Re: Business Ideas Needed-Opportunity for Sailors

Hey Mike,

I have a few ideas you can contact me on private email at matt_le_clercq@yahoo.co.uk

All the best

Matt
Old 21-03-2014, 18:03   #3

Hi how are you doing? I am a Brazilian sailor and over 20 yrs experience, English, Espanish and Portuguese speaker, nom smoking no drinking. I have been sailing for about all the Caribean Island and Countries, and the Mediterranean, also US for 14 yrs. If you need someone who have experience in boats but not licenced, please contact me.
my regards

Sergio
Old 29-03-2014, 02:59   #4

Boat: Bingham custom cutter rigged 35 loa 28 lod
Send a message via Skype™ to Dean Samuels

I would say Panama is the best option. I have done the backpacker run as crew. We have a 62 ft steel schooner were trying to set up for the runs . as for customers they are plentiful. you just need a good crew. I think if you get the boat there, you will do fine. I have contacts there and if you want to get into the Panama - Cartagena backpacker game, I may be some help with my contacts. its a cutthroat buisness plan with the possibilityof making some money. email me at deans801 @ gmail.com or +1 305-942-3655
\
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjhartmann View Post
This post is the result of 18 months of sail boat and other business craziness; anyway here are the facts-

* I currently own 2 sailboats:

1. 44 foot steel Bruce Roberts Offshore currently on the way to the Bahamas
2. 52 foot Kelsall catamaran currently in Cartagena, Columbia

* I was expecting to run the boats in Panama as a business, but alas between the regulations and lack of paying customers did not work

* I am a US citizen living in South Carolina

* I am looking for ideas about how and where to deploy the boats in either day sailing or overnight charter business

* Having spent a ton of money on the boats, and having my former business partner cheat me, I am cash strapped

* I do not have the cash to get the cat USCG inspected, so 6 pax max

* Looking for person/persons to run one/both of the boats somewhere in the US during the summer (east coast) who are licensed and responsible, and either Bahamas, USVI or Puerto Rico in the winter

* Please post any operating ideas you may have

* Please PM me if you are interested in working with me on this project (no cash payment at this time, equity in boats and business are possible)

Thanks.

Mike
Old 29-03-2014, 04:41   #5
cruiser

So you are looking for someone qualified, with current ticket/license, who has an idea of how to make money with your boat, will do all the work and do it for free while you receive the money they make? For "equity" in a non existent business or boat they don't have the preferred mortgage on?

Did I read that correctly??

I wouldn't expect quality people if they fall for this deal.
Old 29-03-2014, 22:30   #6

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

I will be willing to operate your vessel. I have no experance in offshore or charting I will do it for the thrill and 150 dollars a day plus visas, and food. I am a us citizen to. I would also ask to hold all profits till the trip is over for any emergencies.

I also would be willing on my own expense to sail one of your vessels to my dock located in the Northeast and call it home. To really help the losing profits of a armchair business.

I would prefer all communication be here and not through PM. I have nothing to hide I'm more then open about my intentions and pratices.

wondering around with no destionation
Old 30-03-2014, 09:31   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I have a bridge in England for sale, you seem like the type to be interested

Dave
Old 31-03-2014, 07:30   #8

Hi good morning Mr. Mike, once more I sent you a message to let you know how interested I am to stay in your boat, no charge no money no, obligation to me. I just need a boat to run from Cartagena to Panama or more. I am a good boat worker and repairing, English, Spanish and Portuguese speaker. please contact me by my email address: serbben@hotmail.com
I am sure we will work good together

my regards

Sergio
Old 03-04-2014, 14:55   #9

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Dave
Boy did you hit the nail on the head!! Mike, isn't that funny? If you lease the cat to my co-captain and I for $1.00 US/yr. we will bring it up and use it for 1 yr and keep all revenues for living expenses and vessel repair. After 1 yr., we can renegotiate. This means that we will pay all slip fees and maintenance and you will have that anchor that is around your neck removed.
Old 03-04-2014, 15:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Dave

Thanks for the encouragement.

You ever been helpful, or you just live to be cynical?
Old 03-04-2014, 15:03   #11

Thanks for all the serious replies, and less so for the smarty comments. To those that posted or PMed me, I will be responding this weekend.

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2014, 15:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceannavigator View Post
So you are looking for someone qualified, with current ticket/license, who has an idea of how to make money with your boat, will do all the work and do it for free while you receive the money they make? For "equity" in a non existent business or boat they don't have the preferred mortgage on?

Did I read that correctly??

I wouldn't expect quality people if they fall for this deal.
No you did not read that correctly. You may be surprised to know that boats of that size represent a lot of money, and being offered equity in them is quite valuable. And what is it with the darn arrogance about having a 'ticket'/license? There seem to be quite a few around that don't have a boat.
Old 07-04-2014, 16:06   #13

Boat: Sea Ray 190 Signature, 19'

I've been in business for a while and I've entertained myself on occasion with thoughts about starting a charter business. I even created a high level plan. The very last and least valuable item in my plan was getting the boats. First and most valuable was finding a reliable way of getting the business. Getting the customers seems to be your problem, not running the boats. How are you currently getting leads/customers? Will you keep the US based boat booked or are you asking for the ideas on doing that?
What is the current market value of the boats?
Why don't you sell them or one of them and recover your cash?
Are boats free and clear of all loans and legal obligations?
What is the legal relationship between you and the former partner?
Where are the boats registered?
Do you have pictures? Are they attractive to people who want trouble free and comfortable vacation? Can they compete in this market segment with new boats that are offered by other charter companies?
Old 07-04-2014, 16:34   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjhartmann View Post
No you did not read that correctly. You may be surprised to know that boats of that size represent a lot of money, and being offered equity in them is quite valuable. And what is it with the darn arrogance about having a 'ticket'/license? There seem to be quite a few around that don't have a boat.

But if you are not offering the preferred mortgage on the boat, there is nothing the prospective partner can really do. They essentially have nothing.

I am quite surprised that a Kelsall represents a lot of money, as I do not understand the charter industry or catamarans at all. A little sarcasm. Not being mean, just playing a bit.

Yes, most professional mariners don't have their own boats. This is true. Being snarkey again, but jobs with $0 salaries while the owner rakes in the charter fees sort of lend to the situation where the professional mariner has a hard time securing their own vessel.

Business advice would be to at least offer a small salary the person can live on, paid by charter income. To do otherwise nearly guarantees you a disaster.

But as an aside, forgetting about my disagreement with your business practices, did you buold both of these?? They are very, very different boats.
Old 07-04-2014, 17:23   #15

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbajramo View Post
I've been in business for a while and I've entertained myself on occasion with thoughts about starting a charter business. I even created a high level plan. The very last and least valuable item in my plan was getting the boats. First and most valuable was finding a reliable way of getting the business. Getting the customers seems to be your problem, not running the boats. How are you currently getting leads/customers? Will you keep the US based boat booked or are you asking for the ideas on doing that?
What is the current market value of the boats?
Why don't you sell them or one of them and recover your cash?
Are boats free and clear of all loans and legal obligations?
What is the legal relationship between you and the former partner?
Where are the boats registered?
Do you have pictures? Are they attractive to people who want trouble free and comfortable vacation? Can they compete in this market segment with new boats that are offered by other charter companies?
I am familiar with Mike's situation. They were purchased for not alot of money. They need alot of work to compete with charter boats like Lagoon or Robertson Caine. Your idea to sell one is a good one. One boat, one charter, one slip fee, one maintenance. I have not seen the cat but cats are much better for chartering as they give much need private space with 2 hulls 20' or more apart. Unfortunately, this situation could be considered as one of the bottom feeders of the charter field and should be considered as the "Captain Ron" of the charter industry. The vessels in question are in Panama and in Colombia. I have offered to bring the cat up to the USVI or Puerto Rico at my time and expense in return for a $1.00 lease for 1 year in order to set up the business as well as maintain the vessel and its slip fees. The delivery cost with slip maintenance and repairs would be in the vicinity of $12,000. all totaled. I am not sure I could recoup these with a new start-up. Like you say, the vessels are ancillary, getting the customers are paramount. Love to hear your thoughts.

Tags
sail