Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2011, 09:21   #16

Re: BVI Yacht Preparations for Voyage

good point on trini, although with a couple hundred yachtsman there for the season, chaguaramas intruders may find they've bitten off more than they can chew! Then again... ya never know in this world. Yeah, st martin in the lagoon would be better than the virgins anyway and a good place to get parts too.

Old 26-08-2011, 09:27   #17

Hi Dan, Willie is my name, I'm heading to the B V Is in mid oct to take a boat through Panama and on to hobart. The boat is in tortola and we will stop in St Maartin on the way. keep in touch , it may be possible to travel in convoy,
Cheers Willie.
Old 27-08-2011, 03:31   #18
Marine Service Provider

thanks for the update, i think st martin will be a good destination. i have read your web site cover to cover and found it a great read! i read it before deciding on the 393 the fact that you have made a similar trip happily with the 393 it confimred what i already thought of this boat.

i have already posted the registrations forms ect so i hope is just a matter of posting the purchase contract and deletion documents to amsa, so im hoping that it can be done quickly! fingers crossed.

hey mark, i dont want smash you with to many questions at once but
have you got a HF radio on board?
what are you using for reliable internet when cruising?
do you carry spare sails?
how much spare fuel did you need to carry for your pacific crossing?
do you have a water maker installed?

hey willie, i will keep you posted, i will be using this site a lot. i have a feeling there is going to be a few ex pats on the same path. what boat are you purchasing? have you done this before?
Old 27-08-2011, 06:55   #19

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

Gunnado, give me a shout when you get to St. MArtin. I have some hookups for you.
Old 27-08-2011, 07:00   #20

Boat: Beneteau 456

Culebra ensenada honda is great hurricane hole...
Old 27-08-2011, 11:19   #21

Hi Dan, I 'm doing a delivery, benateau 42 and I'm Irish. Its new sailing ground for me.
Old 28-08-2011, 02:59   #22
Marine Service Provider

Thanks all for your input, I'm on plane tomorrow to the new reality! will be in touch.
Old 28-08-2011, 05:11   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

hey mark, i dont want smash you with to many questions at once but
have you got a HF radio on board? NO. Sat Phone is better but didn't have one for Pacific. if no sat phone an HF receiver is OK
what are you using for reliable internet when cruising? SIM card in USB Modem, wifi or internet cafe.
do you carry spare sails? No
how much spare fuel did you need to carry for your pacific crossing? took us less than 1 tank full but carry 6 extra gerries cos we were scardy cats.
do you have a water maker installed? No. use spray bottles to wash hands etc; sea water to do dishes

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 31-08-2011, 14:43   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: BVI Yacht Preparations for Voyage

Do your shopping for boat bits in St Martin.... folk come there from all over... even fly in from Trinidad...
Lille Marine in the entrance French side of the lagoon are great and there's (or was) a S African guy on the same side who does superb SS work... knocked up a beaut SS solar/wind gen/dinghy davit frame for me 1/3rd less than any quote Dutch side.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4658.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	31028  
Attached Images

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 31-08-2011, 14:53   #25
Eternal Member

Sorry to disagree with earlier posts, but neither The Lagoon on St. Martin nor Ensenada Honda on Culebra are good hurricane holes.

Both of these have been beset by major hurricanes in the past with hundreds of boats damaged, many sunk, and considerable loss of life.

Both of these look good on charts, but they're much too large for adequate protection.

Example: In 1995 Hurricane Luis decimated the boating population in the Lagoon: "Of the 1,500 boats sheltered in Simpson Bay Lagoon, nearly 1,300 or 85% were sunken or run aground. "

Nanny Cay and Paraquita Bay are best on Tortola, though both may be crowded.

Hurricane Hole at the East end of St. John near Coral Bay is a traditional place...way up in the mangroves.

Some have found Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor to be a good spot, but there has been damage there, too.

Not a whole lot of good choices in the USVI, BVI, Spanish Virgins, or the Leeward Islands.

Whatever the choice, one needs to make it early and get settled in well before the storms arrive.

Bill
Old 07-09-2011, 11:33   #26
Marine Service Provider

some awesome advise has been given, thanks.

moorings are fixing all the problems with the 393, so handed over i should have a great yacht! i have two weeks until then with nothing to do.

i have found some good insurance to cover the yacht with falvey yachts and i will be trying to find out if i can get a berth at nanny cay for the last few weeks of hurricane season.

i am pricing up all the gear so im glad i have had some common sense has been offered (or i would not be cruising for long), i wll be going to st Martin for the rest of the gear, i was priced a wopping $7k for a nice solar system with stainless! i will be checking out if the s african is still at st thomas.

will be getting a sat phone for calls and weather once i figure out the best one, then its time to begin my cruising! cant wait!

have not locked in any crew so i will post again for crew again once i have taken the boat as there may be handover and registration delays.

Hope to see you cruising soon, dan.
Old 11-09-2011, 00:28   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnado View Post
the yacht is in road town, after watching hurricane irene i think i might head towards trinadad in case her big brother comes. even trinidad has been crossed with hurricanes.
i will buy some spare tackle and storm sails then work out the holes from BVI to trinidad.
would trinidad be good place for purchasing wind, solar, and hf radio gear ect?

Nope, think mail order UPS Brother
Old 11-09-2011, 00:44   #28

Dear Dan,

I'm experienced and would love to crew for you. I love the idea of your boldly jumping right into the battle. Your attitude determines outcome most everytime. I;d like to check over that boat before sailing. Don't let the bastards drag you down Dan.
Let me know whats going on as you get ready to finalize your crew. I have one skill nobody on this bord could possibly have. I've been a physician since 1984. God forbid you should need one Dan. Please keep me inmind Sir

Captain Hunter
Old 11-09-2011, 03:57   #29

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hunter View Post
Dear Dan,

I'm experienced and would love to crew for you. I love the idea of your boldly jumping right into the battle. Your attitude determines outcome most everytime. I;d like to check over that boat before sailing. Don't let the bastards drag you down Dan.
Let me know whats going on as you get ready to finalize your crew. I have one skill nobody on this bord could possibly have. I've been a physician since 1984. God forbid you should need one Dan. Please keep me inmind Sir

Captain Hunter
You'd be surprised. There are a number of physician members here.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 14-09-2011, 03:38   #30

Boat: skookum 53, CUTTER

Hi,
I will arrive in the bvi in late october, on my 60ft cutter, if you need any advise about cruising, contact us sywindsong@live.com

Tags
yacht, bvi, British Virgin Islands