Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2011, 05:33   #1
Marine Service Provider

BVI Yacht Preparations for Voyage

Hi i am a 34 year old Aussie picking up a beneteau 393 in the BVI on 20th September 2011, i don't have heaps of experiance but believe doing it is the best way to get that experiance, if you know the best spots around the BVI or want to get some adventure sailing and exploring the area after this date let me know?

i will be preparing the boat and figuring out what does what, so i will have some work to do, not sure how much at this stage. so if you have done this before feel free to give some pointers, charts even!

I have a crew member landing acouple of weeks later and then we are going to make my way towards Australia via Panama and south pacific, but not locking in any crew for the journey to OZ at this stage, i will be taking it day by day, may not even leave the caribbean!

I look forward to seing if there is anyone in the BVI interested after the 20th September.

Dan
Old 16-08-2011, 08:31   #2

Re: BVI Yacht Preperations for Voyage

Hi Dan!
I am a 22 year old with no real offshore experience, but I am curious and willing to learn and help out.
Would be fun to join you!
Anna
Old 18-08-2011, 03:32   #3
Marine Service Provider

Hey Anna,
great to hear from you, i am in the BVI on the 31st August (boat survey) then Iam going to go touring around for three weeks before picking up the boat on the 20th of September in tortola. so we could catch up for a coffee or beer before the 20th, let me know your location and availability?

i cant send a personal message, i dont think i have enough posts but you can contact me by email at the following; sunsetadventures (at) yahoo (dot) com

Daniel
Old 18-08-2011, 04:08   #4

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

I soo want to be 34 again!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 18-08-2011, 04:53   #5

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

Hey mate. Remember you're in the very middle of hurricane season in September, generally you would want to be south of Grenada especially during September and October..... or have a good insurance policy or hurricane hole already set to go.
Old 18-08-2011, 05:01   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Good choice of boat, Dan. If you want to learn all about the 393 go here:
beneteau393 : Beneteau393 Group
Old 20-08-2011, 21:12   #7

Would like to crew with you but it doesn't sound like you need more crew just yet. Keep us posted.
Old 22-08-2011, 08:36   #8
Marine Service Provider

I have found the 393 group to be great and I think I will get a lot of use from them

I had forgotten about finding a hurricane hole, will be one of the first priorities

I will keep you posted, some exiting times coming!
Old 22-08-2011, 09:09   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnado View Post
I had forgotten about finding a hurricane hole, will be one of the first priorities
Jolly good idea.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 22-08-2011, 09:16   #10

You should probably head to Trinidad directly and first thing. Get to know your boat and fix or add what you want there while waiting out hurricane season. PS: the longer you can delay actually finalizing the boat deal, the less risk you have. If it can be finalized the day you arrive to take possession.... great!

Old 22-08-2011, 16:10   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 34'
Re: BVI Yacht Preparations for Voyage

Yo man, I recently purchased a Brice Roberts 34 foot with a similar idea. I am 28 years old and spent the first 3 moths around the BVI and the other bloke that bought it with me lived in the BVI for 3 years. Check out JVD, white bay, peter island little harbour, the north sound near prickly pear. If you are not a confident navigator then do not go to anagada as its is treacherous.

Its poor time to buy a boat as it will be right on the middle of hurricane season and the BVI just got battered by Hurricane Irene (Track Hurricane Irene / Stormpulse / Hurricanes, severe weather, tracking, mapping) causing some considerable damage. Which Yard is it in or is it moored in Road town as it is not well protected there unless it is in the mangroves. I would check this out pretty soon.

You best bet for charts is to ask the superyachts that come through as they must get new ones every 5 or so years according to their insurance. I got given charts of all the caribbean and also the med for free (as well as loads of booze as they were about to cross the atlantic (dry boat)).

I used the caribbean to gauge my boat and slowly sailed it down to Grenada where hurricanes normally pass north of.
Old 23-08-2011, 00:32   #12
Marine Service Provider

Wow that hurricane is right on top if the BVI I'm emailing broker to find out If the boat is still in 1 piece
Old 26-08-2011, 05:39   #13
Marine Service Provider

the yacht is in road town, after watching hurricane irene i think i might head towards trinadad in case her big brother comes. even trinidad has been crossed with hurricanes.
i will buy some spare tackle and storm sails then work out the holes from BVI to trinidad.
would trinidad be good place for purchasing wind, solar, and hf radio gear ect?
Old 26-08-2011, 08:43   #14

Trini is probably as good as any down there. Their chandelry's are pretty good compared with the rest of the caribe. as i remember there is a way of avoiding big duties if you order stuff... maybe someone else here is up to date on that. I ordered a bunch of Treadmaster when there... it was cheaper than the US. Yeah, there could be a hurricane down there, but not likely and not likely too strong.

Old 26-08-2011, 09:15   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnado View Post
would trinidad be good place for purchasing wind, solar, and hf radio gear ect?
Frankly, I think you will be stuck in BVI's till the end of the season as you will need time to register and do the transfers.

Nanny cay seems safest in the BVI's. Or I would stay in the lagoon where Moorings/Sunsail are - if its not crowed out.

Trinidad has a state of emergency for security issues and a curfew from 9pm to 5am.

St Martin is on the way south and has 2 huge chandelries The Caribbean's Leading Chandlery - Budget Marine and Island Water World.

You wouldn't need storm sails imho. We didnt have them.

You could also look at my website and see how my boat is set up and how we did Caribbean - Australia.

I am in Grenada for a few weeks then Venuezalea to haul and paint... then back to Grenada.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy

Tags
yacht, bvi, British Virgin Islands